Frameless Window Failure - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
I wonder if the 20% failure rate is what ETI is finding during the warranty period or does this also included the failures out-of-warranty? A 20% rate would lead you to expect a design or quality control issue. I would hope that Hehr would extend the warranty period under these unusual failure rates.

ETI is not offering the frameless option in 2019 however this might be due to the fact that the Carefree awning posts would interfere with the window operation.

If I had known about this failure history, I would have insisted on the framed window package.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has had to replace their frameless windows past the 12 month warranty period. Were they provided any coverage?
The Escape warranty is 24 months, not 12 months....
Old 09-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I don't know when this issue first arose. That is to say the extent of the problem may not have been known to ETI or anyone else when I ordered the unit. It appears to be worse on the small windows installed on the 17 ft models.

In as much as I love the look their look and operation, if I were to order the trailer today, I would pass on the frameless as I am not reassured that they have resolved the issue. Reese would be in a better position to know of course.

I am taking the trailer into ETI next week to replace the window. Perhaps I can get more info then.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #23

You are partially correct. The 24 month warranty only applies to ETI-manufactured equipment and assembly. Third party equipment such as the fridge, heater, window assemblies, etc. carry the manufactures warranty only. All this is covered in detail the owner's manual.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
I asked our 'minder' at ETI what the failure rate is for frameless and she said about 20% is what they are finding.

This is inconsistent with other information that has been reported. Tammy was quoted as stating the frameless thermal failure rate at less than 1%, which would also be much closer to the rate of failures reported here.

We’ve had no issues with ours, knock on wood.

I was at ETI HQ last week and got verbal confirmation from the proverbial horse’s mouth that due to popular demand, ETI will continue to offer both frameless windows and electric awnings. They will both now be options, and the base price of trailers will be reduced by CAN$700. The electric awning option will cost CAN$700, so if that’s what you want, it’s a wash.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
This is inconsistent with other information that has been reported. Tammy was quoted as stating the frameless thermal failure rate at less than 1%, which would also be much closer to the rate of failures reported here.
Agreed. When we were working on our build sheet this summer, we were also told less than 1% failure rate. This was low enough for us and we ended up selecting the frameless windows!
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCampBC View Post
Agreed. When we were working on our build sheet this summer, we were also told less than 1% failure rate. This was low enough for us and we ended up selecting the frameless windows!
1% is certainly more encouraging than 20% and I can see why you would go ahead and order the frameless.

I have not heard anyone post info on a failure that was "not" on one of the small windows on the 17 ft trailer. I wonder what the experience has been with that specific window size?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Tammy was quoted as stating the frameless thermal failure rate at less than 1%, which would also be much closer to the rate of failures reported here.
This makes way more sense.

No way would I give up the frameless windows, they are better to operate and look way cooler. [emoji41]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Speak of the devil! I checked on my trailer and noticed the frameless bathroom window was open much farther than I normally open it. The mechanism separated from the window and the window is open at least an inch or two. Seems like there has been a constant tension on the window when closed and also slightly opened as I leave a tiny crack open during storage. I put some electrical tape over it to close it more and the tension popped it open again. I didn't have a ladder with me so I couldn't tell what is causing the window to be pushed open but the constant tension shouldn't be there. The back windows don't seem to have that tension.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #29

Someone else reported separation of the winding mechanism from the inner pane.

I have noticed the same tension on all four of my small windows that are split top and bottom. I would not think that this would contribute to the problem unless the adhesive is insufficient to bind to the mechanism. I placed a straight edge on them to confirm that the windows were installed flat to the side of the trailer and not deforming.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
You can add me back on the list. Checked my bathroom window yesterday and now the replacement window has separated. At least I got the summer out of it. The rest of them seem to be holding up though.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
You can add me back on the list. Checked my bathroom window yesterday and now the replacement window has separated. At least I got the summer out of it. The rest of them seem to be holding up though.
Sorry to hear that. It seems to be predominantly the smaller split windows used the the washroom, kitchen and on the 17 foot trailers, that are suffering this issue.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #32

Second Window Failure

As I am taking the unit in to ETI for repair, I thought that I would take a closer look at the other windows.

I found that the driver side front window is separating as well as the passenger side. This was less evident. The adhesive has released along the bottom but still adheres to the sides. I could see a gap - enough to insert the edge of a playing card.

My other 2 smaller split windows appear to be OK. So far.

Hope the new windows are better than these.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #33

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I was told 20% of the campers have had at least one failure. That's 20% of the campers, not 20% of the windows. Huge difference! We're getting awning windows. It seems almost all the failures are the small bathroom window. Eventually that window will be corrected. We're not worried.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
ETI will be contacting HEHR to order a replacement window to be sent directly to me. Second failure of bathroom window in the first year... doesn't generate a lot of confidence! I haven't noticed any issues with the other windows but will be taking a careful look at all the panes for any separation after reading some of the posts in this thread.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I was told 20% of the campers have had at least one failure. That's 20% of the campers, not 20% of the windows. Huge difference! We're getting awning windows. It seems almost all the failures are the small bathroom window. Eventually that window will be corrected. We're not worried.

Enjoy,

Perry
That sounds more reasonable.

If the problem is primarily limited to the small split frameless windows, these are used in the following models:

17A - Front (both sides), kitchen

17B - Front (both sides), kitchen, bath

19 - kitchen & bath

21 - bath

5.0 - bath

I believe that the bath window is optional in all configurations. The kitchen window is optional on the 19. The 12 and 5.0 are equipped with larger full pane kitchen windows
Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I don’t know if there will ever be an accurate failure rate as I seriously doubt that ETI is keeping that type of data at hand, many other things to do than track that issue.
The big indicator it would seem to me is that here and on many other forums, the failure and failure rate of slider windows was never a topic of discussion. That would be enough for me to make my decision if I was choosing.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I don’t know if there will ever be an accurate failure rate as I seriously doubt that ETI is keeping that type of data at hand, many other things to do than track that issue.
The big indicator it would seem to me is that here and on many other forums, the failure and failure rate of slider windows was never a topic of discussion. That would be enough for me to make my decision if I was choosing.
Hi Greg that pretty much sums it up about the windows for us ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 2019
I also plan to make a purchase in the next month or two and was thinking the exact same thing in terms of avoiding the frameless windows. I will be interested to hear how you make out. Why can't then mix and match in light of this issue?
RHStools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Different strokes for different folks...we actually accelerated our purchase date in order to get the frameless windows before they are no longer offered. Having the awning style windows and being able to leave some windows open when we are away from the trailer all day and not have to worry about rain was important to us...and our cats.

As longtime RV'ers we realize that pretty much any equipment or component in a trailer can fail, and in the grand scheme of things a window is easier to replace than a fridge, furnace, or hot water heater. If the frameless failure rate was 50% we would likely forego them, but with a relatively low failure rate we are willing to take our chances. Also, knowing about the potential for issues we will keep a closer eye on them to catch any signs of trouble early on. And I'll make sure we have a good roll of duct tape with us
Old 09-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Apologies if someone has already pointed this out, but at our orientation 2 weeks ago, they repeatedly emphasized not over-tightening the windows when closing them. There is even a caution sticker about this on the bathroom and kitchen windows. In other words, tighten only until they are just closed, no more. We were told reefing hard on them could cause the problem. I love the look and function of these windows and am really hoping we don't have a problem into the future!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frameless window