Frameless Window Failure - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #81

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Sitting here with windows open and MaxxFan on ... and lots of air going through the trailer. Posting photos of the sliding windows with the awning (manual) not deployed for those who are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
15371233901301632505047.jpg   1537123425512-1102217519.jpg   1537123453824750766846.jpg  

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Rain here in AZ if and when it happens causes quite a stir and is talked about for months.
Now that I've met many of the Escape owners from the PNW at the Quartzsite gathering I have a better understanding of the vast difference of having to camp frequently in the rain and the different needs that requires on the trailers.
I personally still probably wouldn't go with the frameless windows if I lived in the PNW just for the potential stress factor of something failing while I'm out camping and trying to relax. I certainly understand how the awning window would be more preferable in a rainy environment.
It is a big difference in the awning discussion as well. In the SW where the sun is always out, we need to be able to tilt and slope the awning to match the angle of the sun for the awning to be able to provide shade. Awnings here have nothing to do with rain occuring, only providing shade. In the PNW the awnings are mostly needed to provide cover from rain so not as much need for tilt and slope.
When one is making decisions on these items, a big factor is where you are going to primarily use the trailer. No need for frameless awing windows or power awnings here in the SW but a bigger need for those items if you live in the PNW.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I gave one away at an Escape Rally, just to be clear, sliders will leak if you do not maintain them and clean out the weep holes.
Jim in all our 30plus years and other RV's never had leaking slider windows . Never drilled holes either , not to say it can't happen , just not our experience . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Has it rained in California in 30 years?
Old 09-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #85

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Jim is spot on about keeping the weep holes clean. We found out about these little gems when we owned a houseboat and walked in one day after the area had experienced heavy winter rains. Nothing like finding a wet wall growing mushrooms. The repair guy admonished us for having 'plugged' weep holes and told us we could have saved ourselves a bit of money by just maintaining these holes which allow water to drain outside instead of overflowing inside.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #86

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I guess a future concern is what happens when the warranty expires. I'm assuming that you would go through ETI and just pay out of pocket or would you go through Hehr? Little a head of the game, but something i've been thinking about?
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nah, I'll just continue to buy a new one before the warranty period expires, do not want to risk running out of propane.............
Old 09-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #88

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
I guess a future concern is what happens when the warranty expires. I'm assuming that you would go through ETI and just pay out of pocket or would you go through Hehr? Little a head of the game, but something i've been thinking about?

There are companies out there that specialize in repairing RV windows. Both framed and non framed styles , single and dual pane. We have one up in Hudson Fl that is very highly rated. and if mine are out of warranty I'll probably have them repair them. They offer a lifetime warranty on their work and have been in business for over 20 years. I contacted them to make sure they do work on our style and they do. He did say the dual pane framed style have higher failure rates as they tend the suck moisture in and it etches the inside of the glass. Ours do not to do that.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #89

Florida is a lot closer than Chilliwack.....good to know.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #90

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Jim is spot on about keeping the weep holes clean. We found out about these little gems when we owned a houseboat and walked in one day after the area had experienced heavy winter rains. Nothing like finding a wet wall growing mushrooms. The repair guy admonished us for having 'plugged' weep holes and told us we could have saved ourselves a bit of money by just maintaining these holes which allow water to drain outside instead of overflowing inside.
I keep a little drill bit in both of our campers just big enough to slide up into the weep hole while twisting it with my fingers. The flutes in the drill bit help grab stuff and pull it out of the hole while twisting rather than pushing it back up in. Works for us...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #91

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Folks on FGRV were saying they are no longer made.
They are not, or at least were not, for awhile. I called the company once to ask about them for our EggCamper, and that's what they told me. BUT! With the resurgence of interest in camping and small campers among retiring baby boomers, they said they might do a market study and bring them back into production if warranted. So they might be available again sometime in the future, if not already.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #92

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

Our kids know what "rain" means, so- Yes.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Rained last year and we travel through Oregon and Washington yearly .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #94

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
It appears that i'm the only one they've heard of having the same window delaminate twice. Just my luck.
Really concerned about after warranty coverage as they are covered for one year.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #95

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
It appears that i'm the only one they've heard of having the same window delaminate twice. Just my luck.
Really concerned about after warranty coverage as they are covered for one year.

Are you saving the old ones since they do not want them back?
I saved one and hopefully will not wish I had saved both. I figure I can send that one to a window rebuilding place to have it fixed if needed. Or use a part off it if the glass is ever shattered or something breaks.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 19
I too had a small kitchen window separate - it happened earlier this summer and I just got the replacement window delivered yesterday...hope Hehr has it straightened out. I've had my trailer about 10 months so hate to be on the hook should another one fail after the warranty expires.
SBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Windows Repaired!

I had three delaminated windows replaced by ETI today. I also had a chance to talk with Reace.

Reace told me that the problem is only with the small split windows. The other size windows from Hehr are not seeing the same problem. He first felt that it was a "poor batch" but now feels that it is a quality control problem leading to random failures. There are apparently 5 steps in curing the adhesive on each window, so it is more complex than one would have assumed.

He said that the replacements have a 12 month warranty and would be replaced again if they failed during this period.

More clarification on the Carefree awning option. The awning post clearly restricts the opening of the frameless window. Closing the awning on a fully opened window would likely damage the window or winding mechanism. A consideration if you are considering this combination.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #98

and something else to remember in those early morning sojourns to quickly go out and manually take down and close the manual awning.....wait.....did I close that window first....oh, no. Help....I have one awning arm closing and the other one about 3" from my window....scenario. With the power awning. just...wait for it...........push the button and close halfway...while standing inside the safety of your trailer....leaving your windows open to collect the cool air when it is raining outside.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #99

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
If one can not notice that their window is open when taking down their manual awning, what else are they missing putting up. Stinkiy hose, power cord, raising stabilizer jacks......... off on and so on
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #100

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ready to roll

Checklists with an order of execution are the only way to go for us. Posted on the inner door frame and added to or modified as conditions change, they have saved me money from leaving things behind several times.
Iowa Dave

Tags
frameless window