Fresh water tank drain dripping - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 21
The handle to the fresh water valve broke a few months back when I tried to open and drain. Been wanting to fix it and am glad this thread gave me an alternative to the funky low-end standard RV part. Like others I first sourced Home Depot, yet the tag indicated lead content so ordered a lead-free one from Amazon which arrives today. Hmmm- Sunday US Postal service delivery....whoda thunk? Jeff B.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
All this discussion has inspired me to pick up an extra one of these and add to my spare parts kit for our new 5.0TA - an inexpensive and small part to carry, but would be very welcome to have with me if the valve either started leaking or was damaged on the road. I think if a metal valve got hit by road debris it could damage the plastic tank, I'd rather the valve just broke and could be easily replaced with another.
Did you pick up a plug for your fresh water tank? If so, is it a 1/2 inch pipe thread? Having a plug sounds like a good thing to carry in a spare parts kit.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:58 AM   #53

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Did you pick up a plug for your fresh water tank? If so, is it a 1/2 inch pipe thread? Having a plug sounds like a good thing to carry in a spare parts kit.
Or a spare valve...
https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Mold...HZ76GY02P9F2WF
Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Thanks for the spare valve URL. I just ordered one.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I assume those ordering replacements do not have the optional foam spray, because my valve is surrounded by foam which would have to scrape before the valve is damaged.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Now that I have installed my winterizing valve outside I guess the plastic one can be removed and plugged. The dust cap with its rubber seal will act as a safety in case the valve gets snagged open with road kill or the tap starts to drip.
Edit...on further thought I will have to see if actually does drain the tank. Water may not flow in that direction...maybe if the valve is set halfway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5070AE52-5D9A-496C-9FCE-03A907ADE5C2.jpg (137.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg C526364C-A58A-45F9-8D19-D63A800C525C.jpg (165.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:22 PM   #57

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Now that I have installed my winterizing valve outside I guess the plastic one can be removed and plugged. The dust cap with its rubber seal will act as a safety in case the valve gets snagged open with road kill or the tap starts to drip. I like when one mod does double duty.
Double check that. Your common port is currently towards the pump. The valve likely allows you to flow from the tank to the pump or open end of valve to the pump, but not the tank to the open end of valve.

I see you already realized it likely won’t work. Halfway position doesn’t work because the port is closing to the one as it is opening to the other. I have a bypass valve in my hand to prove my theory because it’s tough to visualize.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Dave we must have had the same thought at the same time. I edited my post and think this valve is not going to allow water to flow from the tank out. I wil give it a try in the spring with the valve in the halfway position.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Last summer I replaced our fresh water tank drain valve so that I could empty the tank with a hose (to a tree instead of directly on the pavement). I am not a fan of metal male threads installed in female threaded plastic fittings, but I wanted something durable. I also wanted a ball valve design, not a gate valve. I used a 1/2" gray plastic valve intended for mobile home washing machine connections:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Less than $6 delivered. We have the exterior insulating foam, I had to scrape off about 1/4" of the foam on one side of the tank recess to install the valve. It has held up well and is essentially flush with the bottom of the foamed tank.

SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote