Fridge - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post

As I said in a previous post the lower vent is not the recommended LS300 and, appears to me, to be too small to meet Dometic's specs for the 6.7. I sent a message to Reace but haven't heard back yet.

At this point it seems 'we' are comparing different refrigerators etc. but do you know if your installation meets or exceeds Dometic specs? I'm still gathering info on both our installation components AND how much we could gain by bringing it up to specs.

Mel K
I believe the LS300 vent and accompanying winter panel are not available in the North American market.

I don't care how perfectly an SN unit is installed - it is only rated up to 89 ambient - and that does not cut it for much of the US, especially the south west in the summer.

We need a T rated unit - and it must be installed (correctly - per the manufacturer) for maximum efficiency.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
In response to an upcoming build question, Crystal (Kim's replacement?) informed me that the refrigerator issue has been solved. I asked "Any additional developments on the Dometic refrigerator temperature situation? If this problem hasn't been solved by the time my build starts in the spring of 2015, can I opt for a smaller 3-way that works better? We can make do with smaller, as long as it cools properly." She responded "Yes, the fridge issue is sorted out for the 2014 and 2015 models."
Just curious if anyone else has been told this by ETI.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
No it doesn't. They already have 2 sections - one for the freezer and one for the fridge.
Ah, good point for this model range. I was thinking of a more general one-door/two-door distinction: a two-door always uses two evaporators, but in smaller one-door models (not the model range being discussed), it is a single evaporator. Thanks for catching that
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 19'
The refrigerator issue has been solved! That is such great news. We plan on heading south in February so I've been too focused on this.

Curious what is the 'fix'? I sent a message to Reace last week but haven't seen a reply.

Mel K
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Verification

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
In response to an upcoming build question, Crystal (Kim's replacement?) informed me that the refrigerator issue has been solved. I asked "Any additional developments on the Dometic refrigerator temperature situation? If this problem hasn't been solved by the time my build starts in the spring of 2015, can I opt for a smaller 3-way that works better? We can make do with smaller, as long as it cools properly." She responded "Yes, the fridge issue is sorted out for the 2014 and 2015 models."
We are currently taking a serious look at ordering an Escape 21 but have been holding off for various reasons, one being the problem with the refrigerator. Our current trailer (2013 Casita 17 Ft. DLX) has the opposite problem ,items freezing in the refrigerator section even when turned down to a setting of 3 . We do not want to swap one refrigerator problem (Too Cold ) for another ( Too Warm) I hope Escape posts on this forum that the issue with the 6.7 cu ft refrigerator has been resolved and what steps they took to resolve the problem . It may not do much for the current owners of the 6.7 cu ft refer but it would alleviate the fears of those of us who are considering the purchase of an Escape 21
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Crystal told me the same thing, but lets be fair -- she is not as informed as others about the ongoing saga of the fridges, and is telling you what she has heard.

The reason I posted this was that the unit is being tested with a current owner. There are no definitive results yet, but the person testing it appears to have better performance than with the RM 8555 single door.

Several good points have been made. Yes, installing the unit according to Dometic specs is critical. And, it may be that a 2 door unit will perform better than a single door, for various reasons.

As to the climate class rating, I think we have all been somewhat enamored by the fact that there are "tropical rated" fridges out there, and believe that a T-rated fridge would apparently solve all of our problems. But, there is currently NO absorption fridge available from any manufacturer in the US, that will FIT through the door of an Escape, that has anything above an SN rating. Most absorption fridges sold in the US have NO climate class rating, because the manufacturer did not determine one -- they didn't have to. The units were not intended for EU sale.

Also, the lower climate class rating doesn't necessarily mean that the fridge will not perform well in higher ambient temps. It means that the fridge is not "rated" to do so. A properly installed SN rated fridge can actually outperform a poorly installed ST or even T class fridge -- and that is according to the manufacturers.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Funny I called Dometic as soon as I saw in instructions -mentioned a winter cover which I did not have . Dometic stated I don't need cover and wasn't available to me .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Funny I called Dometic as soon as I saw in instructions -mentioned a winter cover which I did not have . Dometic stated I don't need cover and wasn't available to me .
I feel sorry for all the ETI folks to be caught in the middle of this. Dometic is a mess ...

My phone calls and emails to them are consistently ... inconsistent
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
The only thing I heard about was the baffle install, which I have.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The winter cover is not available to US/Canadian customers.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I was told my 2014 fridge had been sealed and texas fan'd.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Has there been any more news on the fridge cooling issue or has Dometic said anything to anyone yet?

Doug
Old 11-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Has there been any more news on the fridge cooling issue or has Dometic said anything to anyone yet?

Doug
Don't know Doug. This was more about a new fridge model for upcoming builds. For the existing fridges I'd check with Reace.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's not a current draw of 3.2 amps, it is

... which means 3.2 amp-hour consumption over a 24-hour period, or 0.13 amps (130 mA) average... just enough to run the electronics.

The other 12-volt spec is

... so at peak it can use 170 watts or over 14 amps. From this spec, the brochure available from the same web page, and the manual, this appears to be a three-way unit (capable of cooling on your choice of AC, DC, and propane power); the 3.2Ah/day number would be just for the controls, not cooling on DC power. 170 watts for the DC heating element is reasonable for this size of refrigerator; the AC heating element for this model is 190 watts. The 22 grams/hour propane burn rate corresponds to about 280 watts, but the propane heater won't be perfectly efficient or transfer the heat to the cooling unit as effectively as the electric heaters, so again the 170 watts (14 amps) seems reasonable.
I wonder if the 3.2Ah/day (Energy consumption 12V @amb temp 25°C (Ah/24h) 3.2 ) is a misprint. I don't see the same spec for other models in the web pages. The manual technical specs show 3.2KWh/day electrical consumption, which is an average draw of 133W, which would include cooling. I don't see why the 12V control electrical draw would be dependent on ambient temperature.

The technical data for the RMD8555 appears to be the same as for the RML8555, which would make me think they use the same cooling components. The manuals from the Dometic web site are old, so specs for the RMD855 could be updated from what we are looking at.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
I wonder if the 3.2Ah/day (Energy consumption 12V @amb temp 25°C (Ah/24h) 3.2 ) is a misprint. I don't see the same spec for other models in the web pages. The manual technical specs show 3.2KWh/day electrical consumption, which is an average draw of 133W, which would include cooling.
Interesting observation. Could be, but interchanging amp-hours and kilowatt-hours is a pretty big error for this type of company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
I don't see why the 12V control electrical draw would be dependent on ambient temperature.
When the burner lights, it is electronically sparked and power is needed for the gas control valve; perhaps that is the explanation for the relevance of ambient temperature (and thus operating time).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Reace is still waiting on Dometic - and will update the forum when he has more.

Again - *MAJOR* thanks to Reace and ETI. I do not believe the other manufacturers are being anywhere near this responsive to their customers.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #37

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Reace is still waiting on Dometic - and will update the forum when he has more.

Again - *MAJOR* thanks to Reace and ETI. I do not believe the other manufacturers are being anywhere near this responsive to their customers.
Agreed.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks for the update Doug.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #39

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Is there any news on the Dometic fridge issue.
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #40
Site Team

Give Reace a call on the replacement doors. Maybe Dometic has finally "retooled"? I think this issue cools off with the weather, but it'll heat up again pretty soon.