Fridge - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2015, 03:11 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Dometic fridge

I spoke to Reace last week about our build sheet and also asked about the fridge status. He said that the current 2 door Dometic fridge performed okay in the one higher temp situation that it had been subjected to in late summer (I don't know if this was their own fridge or someone else's). I believe he also said the cooling unit had a bit more power.

I hear people wishing for a Tropic rated fridge, but from the specs posted could they be a problem for people camping in cold weather. If the T units have a lower range of 18 deg C, could they freeze everything at their lowest setting if used in cold climates, like the mountains where we fish. (I don't know what the lower limit being 8 deg C higher means. Just guessing at it.) Even in June we can get freezing temperatures and huddle in our sleeping bags after turning off the furnace. I guess if a T rated fridge option were available, those living in the south and not camping in the cold could benefit.

The Norcold fridge we had in our stick trailer was certainly a problem when the temperature dipped to near freezing or got very hot. I'm glad that ETI is looking into it for everyone's sake, but I have doubts that they can change the RV fridge industry on their own. Maybe if other forums pick up the cause and petition the manufacturers they might address the cooling problems better and list EU performance standards in N.A.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Interesting info, Bob. I know what you mean by setting the fridge at the lowest setting, and hoping things don't freeze. This is where a circulating fan inside helps.

Too bad they don't have one with a higher range, rather than to have to choose between hot and cool climates.Though, our older 5.0 has never had trouble in the few times we have encountered hot climates.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Seems to me if a Tropical rated frig freezes at the lowest setting in cold weather the solution would be to put a couple of jugs of frozen water (or bag of ice) in the refrigerator (with a fan) and turn it off. Use it like a cooler. I'm betting most people would only find themselves in that situation once or twice a year... now heat... many, many more times.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
When we went to the RV show last week, I purposely was checking to see what the trailers had in them for refrigerators. I only saw one Dometic and the rest were Norcold. But in checking Norcold on the internet, it seems they have their share of problems too. Ice box anyone? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #45

Trailer: none
Although I'm on the waiting list for an Escape, in the absence of a compressor fridge option, I'm considering moving on. After reading about all the issues with the Dometics (operational and reliability) and talking to people who have had 3-way fridges and hated them, I'm just not looking forward to dealing with one in a $25K investment. The only possible advantage I can see to a 3-way is the ability to be off the grid for extended periods of time. However, with the proper solar and battery setup, this should be a non-issue.

I do hope Escape will choose to offer their customers a compressor fridge option. What's the big deal with that? I honestly don't get it.
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Used to wonder along those lines myself after being told "no" many a time for this or that by ETI. There's more & more demand for them I figured they need to keep the production process streamlined. They still do way more than most if not all other companies to customize.

You could always get a credit for no Dometic then add more solar & batteries and have a good shop in Seattle area do a Novacool install.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #47

Trailer: none
I guess that's what I find confusing. It seems Escape does all kinds of crazy one-off stuff for people, some of which seem to be pretty involved. It also seems that a different fridge would not be that big of a customization and might prove to be a popular one, hence easily repeatable. I could be wrong. They must have their reasons.

Spending that much money, then having to go have the trailer outfitted by a third party seems kind of ridiculous. I just want to pick it up and go. If it costs more for a compressor fridge option, so be it.

As for the solar and batteries, I mentioned that would be in my build, regardless.
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
never mind
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #49

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
It's true, ETI does lots of crazy, one-of-a-kind stuff for people but installing a one-of-a-kind trailer with a different fridge could present the start of a very slippery slope. The Escape Trailer molds are made for the included, posted extras. What if people wanted a custom range or an electric awning or a urinal in the wet bath? Should ETI satisfy those requests too? And who pays for the training, mistakes and Research and Development of these one-of-a-kind mods?
It's quite clear in ETI's brochure what you get in an Escape Trailer for a stated amount of money and the above appliances are not listed.
Singletracker, I think that's what the 'big deal' is.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I know that after purchasing 2 Escape trailers, Reace and Tammy will try hard to accommodate most change/customization requests. Every time I talked to Reace about one that was denied it made sense. Some were just not feasible, others for structural reasons. Remember its not just a money thing there are also deadlines to meet, trailers can't be hung up in the manufacturing process waiting for parts or for problems to be rectified due to customer changes. Reace told me last week that the new 2 door fridge was up to the job and that was good enough for me.

I also highly doubt that a compressor fridge would be a big seller due to the fact that the new fridge is supposed to work as intended. In all fairness to ETI they seem to go above and beyond when ever they can.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #51

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
I sure hope that I get the newest version.March 26 p/up date.Thanks for the info.
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Custom fridge modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
And who pays for the training, mistakes and Research and Development of these one-of-a-kind mods?
It's quite clear in ETI's brochure what you get in an Escape Trailer for a stated amount of money and the above appliances are not listed.
Singletracker, I think that's what the 'big deal' is.
I agree with J Mac. I think ETI has to be careful about custom installations, as they have to be able to turn a profit. Offering different fridge options require a lot of planning, testing and staff training. Reace has had sound reasons for rejecting some of the ideas I have thrown at him. I know he is doing more than most manufacturers in keeping his customers happy. Where else do you get to discuss your concerns with the designer/manufacturer/owner? Kudos to him and Tammy for the effort they put into keeping us happy.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
ETI wants to be able to offer as many options as possible, but on the fridge issue, any fridge they install has to provide adequate internal capacity as well as fit through a 22" door. You'd be surprised how few of those there are. Going with one manufacturers series and one type means they can offer a small, medium and large fridge - all of which will fit through the door and have the same width when installed. It also means they can offer the same series to people with solar as those without it, and there is no redesign or change in the build process to accommodate different widths. When I mentioned it to Reace, he made it clear that NovaKool installed by ETI is a non starter. He has his reasons I am sure. I agree with those who suggest you could omit the fridge and install a NovaKool or other suitable compressor fridge yourself. Since you'd get a credit for not having ETI install a fridge, the cost difference would not be that great.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't think there's anything about a compressor refrigerator installation which needs the factory's facilities. I would be fine with a "delete option" (leave out the stock refrigerator entirely for a credit) and separate installation afterwards, as long as the factory would not cut the vent openings in the body.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The vent openings might actually work out fine. If you look at Steve's retrofit, the access door gives him easy access to the compressor and wiring, and the roof vent works out well for a fridge that is not self venting to the interior.