Fridge Beep - RMD8555 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Fridge Beep - RMD8555

Those of you who've followed our first trip back in March of 2015 might remember the issue we had with the fridge beeping an alarm that indicates the door isn't closed. We eventually solved the problem (or Reace did) by swapping out the fridge light assembly.

Well, this morning at 2:30 am, it happened again. Fridge Beep, says door isn't closed, when it is. At least this time I knew the fix to silence the beep. Pulled the light cover, unplugged the light, silence. Back to sleep.

No fridge light now of course. I'm thinking these RMD8555s must have a frequent issue with faulty light switch assemblies, since it's now happened to us twice.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Thanks for the heads-up, Robert! 2:30 am? UGH!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
That light is one more unnecessary power drain on a boon docking set up (IMHO). When/if ours malfunctions, it will be disconnected, permanently. It doesn't give much light anyway - its major function seems to be to trigger the door open alarm.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
That light is one more unnecessary power drain on a boon docking set up (IMHO). When/if ours malfunctions, it will be disconnected, permanently. It doesn't give much light anyway - its major function seems to be to trigger the door open alarm.
I'm thinking so, Mary. I do like the blue light though. The light switch sends a signal to the board when the door isn't fully shut and the light is still on. If that fails, it tells the fridge the light is on (and therefore the door isn't shut) even when the light is off and the door is fully closed. I'm going to look into the cost of a new light switch assembly. If it's cost prohibitive, I'll just go with a battery operated interior light that can mount on the interior with a suction cup or the like.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Ok, the plot thickens. I think I found the cause of this problem. Came across a thread in a bulletin board with alot of refrigerator technicians discussing the alarm. There was mention of it being an ongoing problem when the fridge is operated in very high humidity. Sure enough, we were operating the fridge last night right on the Gulf coast, where the humidity was near 100 percent and it was raining. You can see the condensation inside the light assembly in the photos. When we had this issue back in March of 2015, we were in the Cascade mountains where there was a lot of rain and fog, humidity near 100 percent also. I'm betting the condensation messes with the circuit. Fix might be to add a bit of silicone to the terminal to prevent any water disrupting the circuit.

Bottom line is that this happened, in both cases, where the humidity was extraordinary high.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Robert, don't know if it will work for you, but when I had that problem (first night in trailer) I manipulated the door's latching mechanism with my finger several times and it corrected the problem. I also gave it a slight shot (spray) of silicon. The mechanism, that is. Hasn't gone off again.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Robert, don't know if it will work for you, but when I had that problem (first night in trailer) I manipulated the door's latching mechanism with my finger several times and it corrected the problem. I also gave it a slight shot (spray) of silicon. The mechanism, that is. Hasn't gone off again.
Yeah, we played with the latch and lots of other things when it happened the first time Carl. In the case of a sticky latch, I'm thinking your silicone spray is what actually fixed it. In our case though, the latch is closed, but the system senses it isn't. I think the condensation is the cause.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #8

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Fridge Beep - RMD8555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post

IMO LED lights use so little power that they don't concern me - even when boondocking. I don't leave them on when not needed, but I use them freely anytime I want light.

The power used by an LED fridge light that's only on when the fridge door is open is negligible. My solar panel should be able to generate enough power for that in a couple minutes (my guess).

If I didn't like the fridge light, I might disable it, but not just to save power. YMMV

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Trail Lite Oakura 758 2014
We have just taken delivery of our first motorhome (in New Zealand) and it has a Dometic RMD 8555 fridge. It was working fine, however I have tried to turn it off with no success. Currently the vehicle is not connected to mains, we do have solar power, gas and battery. The gas is turned off and I have put the fridge onto mains operation (manually). I then slid the door catches to allow ventilation and pushed the on/off button for 3 seconds to turn the unit off.

It turns off momentarily, then lights back up and tries to start up again. The blue led light goes on and stays on. Does this mean the fridge is on? Is there any way to get all the lights and everything to go off?
Helen NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I have had this happen several times. I just keep trying. I am supposing that you are not usually pushing the button for even a second most tries? I would try to push it a little longer. Also I would try to push the button in a slightly different spot. It could be that it is not quite getting pushed exactly where need be. I have managed to get ours off but sometimes with many tries.

I also wonder if the weather could have anything to do with it. Think I was in hot weather when I first had the problem.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:30 AM   #11

Smile

Hi, thank you for that advice - I will try pushing in different angles etc., I have tried for different times i.e.: 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 5 seconds etc.,etc., but if I hold it too long it goes off then comes back on again whilst I'm still pushing it. Will try your suggestions though. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Maybe make certain the refrigerator door(s) are closed and locked first. Then try turning it off.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe make certain the refrigerator door(s) are closed and locked first. Then try turning it off.
That is the problem, they want the door to stay ajar using the built in door locks to allow ventilation.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is the problem, they want the door to stay ajar using the built in door locks to allow ventilation.
I understand that, but first they need to get the refrigerator to turn off.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm betting the condensation messes with the circuit. Fix might be to add a bit of silicone to the terminal to prevent any water disrupting the circuit.

Bottom line is that this happened, in both cases, where the humidity was extraordinary high.
Robert - could you fit one of those small desiccant packs that come in pills into that small cavity inside the light - around the plug you show?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Robert - could you fit one of those small desiccant packs that come in pills into that small cavity inside the light - around the plug you show?
You probably could, Eric. I'm thinking that anything that prevents the moisture from affecting the electrical contacts would work.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The person from New Zealand and I have a different problem. The door has to be open to turn off the refrigerator. The strip we are pushing on is inside. It simply starts up again the second you turn it off. And starts again and again and again. Yes, the blue light means it is on. Another guess that might help is to wait longer between times trying to start it instead of doing that every second or two or three. Hard to know what helps.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The person from New Zealand and I have a different problem. The door has to be open to turn off the refrigerator. The strip we are pushing on is inside. It simply starts up again the second you turn it off. And starts again and again and again. Yes, the blue light means it is on. Another guess that might help is to wait longer between times trying to start it instead of doing that every second or two or three. Hard to know what helps.
That sounds like a faulty power switch. We press and hold ours for a little under a second, and it powers off.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #19

Thanks Donna,
problem is that to reach the electronic control pad I have to open the lower door. It doesn't seem to be cooling though so perhaps the lights stay on but the fridge is actually off? I think it would be possible to completely turn it off so lights are off as well. Will keep trying.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #20

Yes, you have it - the door has to be open in order to access the on/off panel. Hoping the switch isn't faulty but will contact our dealer and see if it needs sorting. In the meantime will try all suggestions in hope. Thank you for your help though. Its great to be able to have access to this forum with experienced travellers and their suggestions. Cheers and happy travelling.