Fridge question. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Fridge question.

Apart from the led lights that glow when my 3.5 cubic foot fridge is on propane power, is there any other battery 'draw' to the fridge? In other words, do I need any battery power to my fridge once the propane is lit and working?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Apart from the led lights that glow when my 3.5 cubic foot fridge is on propane power, is there any other battery 'draw' to the fridge? In other words, do I need any battery power to my fridge once the propane is lit and working?

Yes.

Cheers
Doug
Old 07-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Yes.

Cheers
Doug
What is the battery powering when the fridge is on propane power?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Its also powering the electronic control board and the valve solenoid which allows gas flow.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
The 2 door fridge in out 5.0 also has a fan. It doesn't run all the time, however. It is automatic and seems to kick on when the weather is hot and the fridge is struggling to maintain temp. I assume it is DC powered and will run when off grid.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
The 2 door fridge in out 5.0 also has a fan. It doesn't run all the time, however. It is automatic and seems to kick on when the weather is hot and the fridge is struggling to maintain temp. I assume it is DC powered and will run when off grid.
Thanks. I was only curious about the 3.5 cubic foot fridge.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I know you didn't ask about the 6 cu ft model, but I'm willing to bet they are in the same ballpark with respect to the controller and solenoid.

Ours draws 225 ma (about 1/4 amp) when on propane - extra fan not running.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

thanks alanmalk. The reason I inquired in the first place was because I have see propane fridges on fishing boats that are said to run entirely on propane with no electric current. BTW they are match lit.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Hope this topic is ok on this thread. My question is can I drive all day in the sunshine using solar power( 95watts) with my fridge on or will it drastically reduce my batteries. Assuming there is nothing in the fridge that starts with P.Thanks in advance. Peter
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Pete, depends on your tow vehicle electrical output, simple math problem, add up your input with the solar and your tug minus the refer draw= amount of battery usage and compare to your battery storage.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Hope this topic is ok on this thread. My question is can I drive all day in the sunshine using solar power( 95watts) with my fridge on or will it drastically reduce my batteries. Assuming there is nothing in the fridge that starts with P.Thanks in advance. Peter
That is actually a difficult question to answer. Some variables are: the size of your fridge, the air temperature, the efficiency of the circuit all the way from the alternator to the fridge, the capacity of your batteries, etc. Lots of hard to measure variables.

Starting at the fridge, using 12v option (as opposed to the propane option) will require somewhere around 200 to 300 watts. I don't have my manual handy but regardless, the fridge takes more than solar can provide. In theory, a running vehicle can make up the shortfall. But from reading reports on this forum, a number of folks say they end up with flat batteries after towing all day. So, what could be going wrong?

One problem, it is the long distance from the source to the drain (alternator to fridge). Skinny wire can cause a significant voltage drop. A bit of tarnish on the trailer connection can cause voltage drop (which is exacerbated at higher amperage). The trailer voltage regulator may be confused by the alternator voltage regulator. And the list goes on...

I plan to try the following some day. With a blanket over the solar panel and the fridge running on 12v with the door open (so you know beyond a shadow of doubt that the boiler is heating), measure the voltage at the dedicated fuse that goes to the fridge. Then, hook up the tow and and trailer plug and have a volunteer run the engine at 2000 rpm (for a solid output from the alternator). Measure the voltage again. If all is well, the voltage should go up around 1 volt - say from 12 to 13, or better. If you are not seeing a solid gain from the alternator, then you know that you will arrive at your campsite in the evening with drained batteries.

If you try this, please report back.

(And never, ever, put that "P" word in your fridge).

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... I have see propane fridges on fishing boats that are said to run entirely on propane with no electric current. BTW they are match lit.
Older RV refrigerators have no electronic controls and can operate on propane without electricity (and on 120V AC without 12V DC power). Many are piezo-ignited, so they don't need a match. To work, they need to use a similar valve to that in a pilot-equipped furnace or water heater: as long as the flame is going a thermocouple provides enough power to keep the valve open, and a manual button holds it open during lighting. To control the amount of cooling, a mechanical thermostat switches the gas valve between low and high burn rates, so the low rate acts like a pilot flame.

I don't know if this style is still available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
From my experience you will still drain your batteries somewhat. In an Escape 21 with two solar panels totaling 195W, my two six-volt batteries would lose up to 10% of their charge after a five-hour drive with the fridge set to 12V. Maybe more; I don't remember. The truck's alternator didn't seem to contribute much, presumably due to the length of wiring between the alternator and the trailer's batteries. I finally gave up and started putting the fridge on propane when traveling.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
95 watts divided by 12 volts is about 8 amps. I don't know of any solar panel that will fit on a trailer that will deliver a constant 8 amps minimum.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Thank you everyone for the info. Appreciated muchly. Peter
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My fridge started working on pro pain on the way home from my trip I was plugged in to elect the whole time and it didn't work but suddenly started on my way home .
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:00 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
My fridge started working on pro pain on the way home from my trip I was plugged in to elect the whole time and it didn't work but suddenly started on my way home .
Sounds like the fridge was set to Automatic. With AES it will pick the best fuel source. When it was connected to shore power, AES ran it on electric.

If you manually selected gas while camped and it didn't run on gas, there's another problem.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
You don't mention what size the fridge is.

I can travel with my 6.7cf fridge and my vehicle without draining the batteries if I only travel in the middle of a sunny day and don't turn off the vehicle.

In practice, on an 9 hour drive last Sept I dropped 20 Ah by the time I pulled over, 6 am start.

Fridge 14-15 Ah
Alternator feed 10-12 Ah
160w Solar 8-9 Ah max
(Readings per Trimetrics Monitor)

The solar panel output varies as the sun rises and falls, the 160 goes from around 0 Ah at 8am to 7-9 Ah at around noon. I get 4-5 hours of fairly high output a day here in New England. I would expect this to vary depending on where you are, latitude, altitude, obstructions, etc.