Fridge stopped working.. Any Thoughts? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2017, 01:23 AM   #41
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Tin,

Repairs? My understanding is that nothing is broken just the thermal fuse that "blows" rendering the fridge inoperable. By repairs do they mean have an authorized Dometic dealer replace the fuse with another of similar specs only to see it blow at the most inconvenient time again?

I don't see this as a fuse issue but a systems issue that blows the thermal fuses. The fuse is doing it's job.

Fuses are sized to prevent an unusual problem that almost never occurs. I am hearing many members having "unusual problem" just by using the Dometic. It is disheartening to read that Dometic could care less and sends you off to those that can not solve the problem.

I have nothing at stake here as I don't have a Dometic fridge but if I did, I would be all over Dometic until they resolve this to my satisfaction. If they can't produce a working fridge then they need to do more than brush customers off. Buying replacement fuses is not the answer if the system can not handle it. I am sure there must be other brand propane fridges that will fit the Escape cabinet or close enough. Dometic needs to come through one way or another since you did not pay a lot of money to camp/travel worried and carrying coolers.
Hi Santiago,
Exactly, I agree it puts present and future customers in a very precarious position and for what poor engineering? they have had plenty of time to re engineer/design better control systems to deal with over heating situations.
whether due to high outdoor temps, driving up inclines or levelness with in reason.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:37 AM   #42
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Not quite $50! Just a mere $33.99!
The way I see it, we (escape owners) are not alone, there are others who are also going through this blown fuse due to over heating, but if you are out of warranty thats a pretty good profit margin.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:49 AM   #43
Tin

Here is a pic of the actual thermal fuse, looks like the cut out temps is 152c or 305.6 degree f.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170727_123546663.jpg  
Old 07-28-2017, 01:49 AM   #44
Tin

I also found this vid of a guy who opens one up pretty simple.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:59 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Excellent video on the fuse. I'm wondering why they do not make one that resets once the temperature cool down, like the fan control that goes on and off depending on temperature?
Would that not make sense or is the thinking that once it blows that another issue needs to be resolved to prevent future fails? So what would the other issues be?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:16 AM   #46
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Excellent video on the fuse. I'm wondering why they do not make one that resets once the temperature cool down, like the fan control that goes on and off depending on temperature?
Would that not make sense or is the thinking that once it blows that another issue needs to be resolved to prevent future fails? So what would the other issues be?
That setup is exactly what the Dometic refer recall was about. Both the Flame Thermal fuse and the Disc thermalfuse were for possible fire from a leaking cooling unit. If the cooling unit caught fire from the LP flame, hopefully that back wall thermal wire would burn and stop the flow to the control board and not supply the burner with LP to continue the flame fire. SOOOO, If that thermal fuse is being destroyed, it is doing its job, just not for a fire, but a cut out per spec.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
My question is that if this is needed for safety why does the 5.0 fridge not have it? It is only on the 6.0.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
My question is that if this is needed for safety why does the 5.0 fridge not have it? It is only on the 6.0.
Maybe we do have it and it is working okay?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Maybe we do have it and it is working okay?
I have looked and its not on the 5.0
Old 07-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #50

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
The last thing you want is an automatically resetting safety device.
Let's say the refrigerant in your refrigerator leaks and starts a fire , the high temp limit shuts down the propane supply and requires you to take physical action to examine , reset or repair the refrigerator.
An automatic reset would perpetuate the hazardous condition plus give you no signal there was a problem.

High limits on many pieces of heating equipment such as steam boiler must be manual reset , hard wired and non computer controlled.

The NEC also only allows automatically resetting circuit breakers in very limited circumstances such as fire suppression pumps and life support equipment.

Dometic is only following best practice and the code / law.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
The fridge in our 21 has, so far, never experienced this problem.

When Reace was here replacing the pipes, we talked about this a bit. He wanted to make sure I knew where the reset button was, but said that since we had not yet experienced any problem that we might not. He said that the fridges with this problem mostly have shown it fairly soon after pickup. He didn't say that this will always the case, just that it has usually been that way in his experience so far. He was in hopes that Dometic would shortly have a fix for this, but apparently not yet.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
The fridge in our 21 has, so far, never experienced this problem.

When Reace was here replacing the pipes, we talked about this a bit. He wanted to make sure I knew where the reset button was, but said that since we had not yet experienced any problem that we might not. He said that the fridges with this problem mostly have shown it fairly soon after pickup. He didn't say that this will always the case, just that it has usually been that way in his experience so far. He was in hopes that Dometic would shortly have a fix for this, but apparently not yet.
So what I am getting from all of this is the Escape is continuing to install a refrigerator that has a high probability of failing soon after I buy it. I have a 5.0TA on order and this is discouraging. Why don't they find and use a replacement?
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
So what I am getting from all of this is the Escape is continuing to install a refrigerator that has a high probability of failing soon after I buy it. I have a 5.0TA on order and this is discouraging. Why don't they find and use a replacement?
Serious lack of competition for absorption RV fridges. Believe me, if Reace could find an acceptable, higher quality fridge he would. If you think the fridge problems over the years has been a headache for owners, it is nothing compared to what they have been for Reace. One of the factors in moving to new molds and new doors was to be able to put in a more reliable series of fridges. I'm also not sure how many folks total this problem has stuck. The Forum can give one the view sometimes that something that is affecting a very small % of owners is a very widespread problem.

And before any of you get your hair on fire from that, I am saying that we do not know one way of the other for sure on how widespread this problem is. I agree that it is seriously pain in the a$$ problem for people it is affecting.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Dometic is only following best practice and the code / law.
I agree. And they take this precaution because of previous incidents and lawsuits against them for RV fires and the like. But in this case, the fusible links are sometimes defective. Thus the temporary bypass and waiting for a fix. I would imagine the fix is just to install a fuse with the correct high temp limit and that doesn't fail unless it's supposed to.

Quote:
I would put it as, Escape is installing a fridge that potentially could have an issue with the fusible link, because it's a Dometic. A cursory read through of this forum and others will demonstrate that Dometic fridges have experienced a myriad of problems. The potential failure of the fusible link is just the latest in a long line.

Other than changing suppliers entirely, there isn't much Escape can do, other than what they have done, which is to post that it has the potential to happen, how to temporarily bypass it, and to advise those who have the issue to contact Dometic.

Defective fuses are the culprit, and Dometic uses this type of fusible link across their product line. Escape has posted about it here, but you can be sure they are also in contact with Dometic looking for a permanent fix. In a production environment, changing the fridge manufacturer/supplier isn't a quick and easy thing - and the only other major supplier of absorption fridges in North America (Norcold/Thetford) isn't any better than Dometic when it comes to reliability.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Serious lack of competition for absorption RV fridges. Believe me, if Reace could find an acceptable, higher quality fridge he would. If you think the fridge problems over the years has been a headache for owners, it is nothing compared to what it has been for Reace. One of the factors in moving to new molds and new doors was to be able to put in a more reliable series of fridges. I'm also not sure how many folks total this problem has stuck. The Forum can give one the view sometimes that something that is affecting a very small % of owners is a very widespread problem.

And before any of you get your hair on fire from that, I am saying that we do not know one way of the other for sure on how widespread this problem is; it is seriously pain in the a$$ problem for people it is affecting.
Eric, I hope you are right and this is just a small percentage of owners who are having this problem. We had a Dometic RM2510 in our 19' Scamp that was 10 years old and was still going strong. I will keep my fingers crossed that our new one will be as reliable.
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Eric, I hope you are right and this is just a small percentage of owners who are having this problem. We had a Dometic RM2510 in our 19' Scamp that was 10 years old and was still going strong. I will keep my fingers crossed that our new one will be as reliable.
Hi: phalaney... Unfortunately Dometic owns almost all brands of absorption fridges for RV's. They have had so many law suits over fridge fires that they changed the design of the heat extraction units... not for the better for the consumer I'm afraid. We had a 5 cu ft 2 way in our 5.0 and only broke a handle spring clip. The 6.7 single door in our 5.0TA is a whole nother story. I have managed by mods to it to keep it operational but a person shouldn't have to do that. Nothing seems to be as it once was. I'm just glad we got the extended warranty/ insurance policy!!!
Maybe in his spare time Reace could start building his own fridges. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #57

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Unfortunately Dometic owns almost all brands of absorption fridges for RV's. They have had so many law suits over fridge fires that they changed the design of the heat extraction units... not for the better for the consumer I'm afraid.
Alf, I know Dometic is big in the RV and marine industry but they can't be only company making propane fired fridges ? Really ?

Since my class A, C, truck slide in, van camper and one trailer days I used Dometic propane without issues other than plugging up if not really level. This goes back many decades. Along the way things changed and as a result my current 21ft and previous Scamp did not have Dometic propane fridges. Maybe it's old age but more and more I steer towards engineering simplicity. Speaking of which, my first RV was a brand new 73 VW van I immediately removed all seats and converted to fairly sophisticated camper. Best RV I ever had. Went everywhere and as a daily driver to work.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Alf, I know Dometic is big in the RV and marine industry but they can't be only company making propane fired fridges ? Really ?

Since my class A, C, truck slide in, van camper and one trailer days I used Dometic propane without issues other than plugging up if not really level. This goes back many decades. Along the way things changed and as a result my current 21ft and previous Scamp did not have Dometic propane fridges. Maybe it's old age but more and more I steer towards engineering simplicity. Speaking of which, my first RV was a brand new 73 VW van I immediately removed all seats and converted to fairly sophisticated camper. Best RV I ever had. Went everywhere and as a daily driver to work.
Hi: Santiago... But they are!!! Several years ago they went on a buying spree. "If you can't beat 'em...join 'em" This is no secret I can tell you. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

Defective fuses are the culprit, and Dometic uses this type of fusible link across their product line. Escape has posted about it here, but you can be sure they are also in contact with Dometic looking for a permanent fix. In a production environment, changing the fridge manufacturer/supplier isn't a quick and easy thing - and the only other major supplier of absorption fridges in North America (Norcold/Thetford) isn't any better than Dometic when it comes to reliability.
I don't think the fuses are the culprit. I have been an appliance technician for 40 years. My experience has been that when this type of thermal fuse opens, it is the result of another issue. Just replacing the fuse does not correct the primary issue. The genesis of the problem must be found and corrected and to date that hasn't been done. Bypassing a safety feature,even temporarily, is not a good idea either, even though I bypassed my own until I had it repaired. It appears the repair was to only install another fuse. I ordered another fuse from the Dometic dealer that repaired my refrigerator. I suspect at some point Dometic will address the primary issue. Soon, I hope! How wide spread the problem is, is a good question. Why some fail and some do not is puzzling. My fuse opened while I traveled to Oregon running the refrigerator on propane. I'm wondering if this was the case for others. Or did theirs fail while stationary. Mark
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #60

HHmmm, perhaps a poll thread should be started...