Fridge stopped working.. Any Thoughts? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Our fusible link went out on our first hot weather trip with our new trailer. No issues prior to that since picking up our beautiful 5.0TA in April. Brought it to a local authorized Dometic Service Center thinking a board may have gone out, but they correctly identified the issue as the fusible link and replaced it. The new fusible link went out the first day of next trip, also in hot weather. At that point we had read the now taken down forum posts about bypassing the fusible link as a temporty fix. That is what we (i.e. Bob) did the second time and no issues the rest of the weekend. It is forecast to be another hot weekend and we hope to be camping, so we shall see how it goes.

For those of you that have had this issue, I'm curious if happened on a very hot day? When it happened to us, the weather was in the high 90's to a bit over 100.

Linda and Bob in Boise
Linda G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda G View Post
Our fusible link went out on our first hot weather trip with our new trailer. No issues prior to that since picking up our beautiful 5.0TA in April. Brought it to a local authorized Dometic Service Center thinking a board may have gone out, but they correctly identified the issue as the fusible link and replaced it. The new fusible link went out the first day of next trip, also in hot weather. At that point we had read the now taken down forum posts about bypassing the fusible link as a temporty fix. That is what we (i.e. Bob) did the second time and no issues the rest of the weekend. It is forecast to be another hot weekend and we hope to be camping, so we shall see how it goes.

For those of you that have had this issue, I'm curious if happened on a very hot day? When it happened to us, the weather was in the high 90's to a bit over 100.

Linda and Bob in Boise
Lows in the 50s and highs in the low 70s when ours went out. IMHO Something must be inherently wrong with the design.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just Google How to bypass Dometic fusible link. First item is Tammy's description via tapatalk. And we thought we had problems with RML & RMD 8555's.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Our first one (fusible link)went out in January within three days of picking up the trailer. Second one went out with temps in the mid to upper 70s. Have had bypass since then. Have popped the button on the stack 3 or 4 times. Seems there may be a problem but I'm not sure!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Our first one (fusible link)went out in January within three days of picking up the trailer. Second one went out with temps in the mid to upper 70s. Have had bypass since then. Have popped the button on the stack 3 or 4 times. Seems there may be a problem but I'm not sure!

I'm pretty sure there is indeed a problem [emoji57]. But it seems perhaps extremely hot weather isn't the common catalyst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 03:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Not to rain on anyones parade; But I wonder if your insurance would pay out if your refer / trailer caught fire and it was discovered that you had by passed the fusible link?

Must be very frustrating.

Careful,

Tom
Old 07-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Not to rain on anyones parade; But I wonder if your insurance would pay out if your refer / trailer caught fire and it was discovered that you had by passed the fusible link?

Must be very frustrating.

Careful,

Tom
Good point. Assuming (we all know what that means) that since Dometic said to do it, that it is OK. BUT insurance company may see it differently for sure. It's a real rock and hard place dilemna as the choice is to use the trailer but not use the refrigerator.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #28

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda G View Post
I'm pretty sure there is indeed a problem [emoji57]. But it seems perhaps extremely hot weather isn't the common catalyst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am doing something similar to what they are doing with an aftermarket device that activates when the boiler temperature gets to high. I wonder if they have theirs cutting power at to low a temperature. I know on mine the normal boiler temperature on propane is around 370 to 380 degrees Fahrenheit. And mine has activated twice, both times while up in Franklin NC . It activates at 422F. I suspect the one time was stuck in traffic on a steep hill and the other was slowly climbing a long steep narrow driveway.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #29

Also, for those of you that experienced issues, Tammy requested last week you share directly with Dometic Customer Service. I hope everyone that has experienced a failure does reach out to Dometic directly. That way they should better understand the issue and hopefully come up with a more permanent solution. In their first communication back to us the solution was to replace the fuse. Again. We are hopeful the more customers that report issues, the more urgency they may have in finding a solution. In the meantime, we asked for a box of replacement fusible links. Not holding my breath on that.
customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com
Linda G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Bypassing a safety even if ETI or Dometic tell you it's okay does not absolve you of responsibility if something goes wrong especially if there is a personal injury.
When I was doing machine and equipment repair I was told specifically by our corporate attorney NOT to bypass any safeties even if the customer requested us to do so .
A signed release will not necessarily hold up in court.
I learned this the hard way in court.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If I recall correctly ETI pulled their instructions to by pass the fusible link and recommended only to call Dometic. That was most likely after having legal look at it or knowing they needed to reduce their exposure. Probably a good indicator that you want a signed letter faxed to you from Dometic that it is safe to by-pass and to proceed until they resolve. If I couldn't get that document from them I personally wouldn't do it.
Hopefully, this won't cause anything serious for the folks that by-pass, but that fusible link is there for some type of protection. Rock and a hard place is a good description.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If I recall correctly ETI pulled their instructions to by pass the fusible link and recommended only to call Dometic. That was most likely after having legal look at it or knowing they needed to reduce their exposure. Probably a good indicator that you want a signed letter faxed to you from Dometic that it is safe to by-pass and to proceed until they resolve. If I couldn't get that document from them I personally wouldn't do it.
Hopefully, this won't cause anything serious for the folks that by-pass, but that fusible link is there for some type of protection. Rock and a hard place is a good description.
I remember the warnings eons ago about putting pennies in the fuse socket before screwing the spent fuse back in.
Not.A.Good.Idea.
The bypassing the fuse scheme turned on the alarm bells for me, I would never do it and revert to an ice chest for the remaining days on a trip.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I agree! My fusible link failed and I bypassed it. I then called Dometic about getting it repaired. I informed them that i made the bypass a according to the forum post. They asked which brand of trailer made the post. Escape. They informed me to have the refrigerator repaired at an authorized center. The bypass post was taken down the next day. Coincidence, maybe. I had the refrigerator repaired yesterday however am still concerned about it failing again. I asked if the same part was going to be installed and the answer was that they would install what Dometic provided. The answer did not inspire much confidence. Nowhere that I have seen does Dometic recommend the bypass. Escape took down the bypass post and recommends contacting Dometic. Rightly so. As the link is a safety feature to prevent damage from heat, bypassing it is probably not a good idea. I hope my repaired refrigerator does not fail again as I'm about to go on a month long trip! Time will tell. I'm not sure what the next step will be if it does fail. Mark
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Anyone know the part number so I can carry a spare?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
I agree! My fusible link failed and I bypassed it. I then called Dometic about getting it repaired. I informed them that i made the bypass a according to the forum post. They asked which brand of trailer made the post. Escape. They informed me to have the refrigerator repaired at an authorized center. The bypass post was taken down the next day. Coincidence, maybe. I had the refrigerator repaired yesterday however am still concerned about it failing again. I asked if the same part was going to be installed and the answer was that they would install what Dometic provided. The answer did not inspire much confidence. Nowhere that I have seen does Dometic recommend the bypass. Escape took down the bypass post and recommends contacting Dometic. Rightly so. As the link is a safety feature to prevent damage from heat, bypassing it is probably not a good idea. I hope my repaired refrigerator does not fail again as I'm about to go on a month long trip! Time will tell. I'm not sure what the next step will be if it does fail. Mark
Perhaps a good idea to have a list of authorised Dometic shops handy. Available on Dometic website.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you get the part number and buy a spare, please share the cost of the part. It looks like a $2 item, but it's from Dometic, so I'm guessing fifty bucks...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #37
Tin

If you want the history of the thermal fuse, thermal disk just Google Dometic recall rm 2663 thermofuse, just to get a little back ground of the initial issue . I do believe this design (fix) somehow still has issues, which to me seems odd especially considering the time frame.
Since the thermal fuse and disk are there to protect against possibly fire it would be prudent to have this fixed by an authorized service center. I called Dometic and they could care less, bottom line according to dometic " take it to an authorized dometic service center for repairs".
I understand why ETI deleted the post describing how to bypass the thermal fuse and in no way is ETI directly responsible for this issue but with that said IMHO they should have explained the potential fire hazard and to not bypass the thermal fuse or to hold off from getting it repaired ASAP.
So now where do we stand ? Ours is scheduled for service for the frig and the water heater module. I sure hope the new fuse last , although some are on their second and third thermal fuse already. We carry a small cooler for drinks and such may have to buy a larger one just in case and limit the amount of food put in the freezer. I am also thinking a spare would be good to have Butttt ?
I must say I do not like the predicament we are in, having a dead frig after a long days drive is not much fun, I sure hope Escape and Dometic find a solution soon or at least an update. I do not think this is an isolated issue, more just a matter of time. Good luck and happy camping.
Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #38
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Hi Jon,
I am not sure this is it with out verifying but several post concerning this fix pointed to this Dometic Refrigerator Thermal Fuse Assembly # 3851409015 it looks exactly like the one on ours . Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic thermal fuse assembly.PNG  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #39

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
I called Dometic and they could care less, bottom line according to dometic " take it to an authorized dometic service center for repairs".
Tin,

Repairs? My understanding is that nothing is broken just the thermal fuse that "blows" rendering the fridge inoperable. By repairs do they mean have an authorized Dometic dealer replace the fuse with another of similar specs only to see it blow at the most inconvenient time again?

I don't see this as a fuse issue but a systems issue that blows the thermal fuses. The fuse is doing it's job.

Fuses are sized to prevent an unusual problem that almost never occurs. I am hearing many members having "unusual problem" just by using the Dometic. It is disheartening to read that Dometic could care less and sends you off to those that can not solve the problem.

I have nothing at stake here as I don't have a Dometic fridge but if I did, I would be all over Dometic until they resolve this to my satisfaction. If they can't produce a working fridge then they need to do more than brush customers off. Buying replacement fuses is not the answer if the system can not handle it. I am sure there must be other brand propane fridges that will fit the Escape cabinet or close enough. Dometic needs to come through one way or another since you did not pay a lot of money to camp/travel worried and carrying coolers.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you get the part number and buy a spare, please share the cost of the part. It looks like a $2 item, but it's from Dometic, so I'm guessing fifty bucks...
Not quite $50! Just a mere $33.99!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote