Fridge stopped working.. Any Thoughts? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 ETI 19
I have a 19 on order and my build sheet is due in a couple of weeks. I currently have selected the 6 ft3 fridge but may switch to the 5 if there is no resolution to this issue. Does anyone know if the external fridge fan mitigates the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dinnyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #102

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnyberry View Post
I have a 19 on order and my build sheet is due in a couple of weeks. I currently have selected the 6 ft3 fridge but may switch to the 5 if there is no resolution to this issue. Does anyone know if the external fridge fan mitigates the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The fan did not in our situation. We have the fan and it was on both times the fuse blew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #103

Trailer: 21' Escape - Pickup July 11, 2017
Fridge Won't Work on AC

Getting ready for weekend camping. Plugged camper in at home and turned fridge on. Panel lights come on and light comes on inside fridge. Automatically goes to DC. Will not go to AC. Also will work if we switch to gas. Can't figure out why fridge will not run on AC with the camper plugged in to electric. Any suggestions?
Calbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #104

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbal View Post
Getting ready for weekend camping. Plugged camper in at home and turned fridge on. Panel lights come on and light comes on inside fridge. Automatically goes to DC. Will not go to AC. Also will work if we switch to gas. Can't figure out why fridge will not run on AC with the camper plugged in to electric. Any suggestions?
Make it is plugged in at the back, remove the panel and look for the outlet and make sure there is power with a meter check.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #105

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbal View Post
Checked the breaker under the bench?
Are you sure the 120 V is connected? I was without 120 V power once and it was because my power cable was not screwed in far enough.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #106

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Thermal Fuse Problem Possibly Solved

We had our control panel and fridge shut down while traveling this w/e for the 2nd straight trip. This was after having the thermal fuse (which blew, and that was the problem) relocated from the heat stack to a cooler place, as per the Dometic recall kit instructions. Spoke to Tammy this a.m. at Escape. They were contacted by Dometic on Friday and advised that the problem is that people are traveling with the external fan turned on, which is pulling heat into the fuse and causing it to blow. They advised that the external fan (the switch for it is just inside the cover on the outside back of the trailer, if you have the fan) should only be used if the outside temperature exceeds 100 degrees farenheit, and never when on the road. However, we used it all last winter in Florida with no problem, although not while traveling unless we were running on DC (from the car battery), in which case we used it with no problem. If this is indeed the solution to this problem, it's certainly an easy one. Make sure that fan is off when you are on the road. We will see...
Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #107

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
We had our control panel and fridge shut down while traveling this w/e for the 2nd straight trip. This was after having the thermal fuse (which blew, and that was the problem) relocated from the heat stack to a cooler place, as per the Dometic recall kit instructions. Spoke to Tammy this a.m. at Escape. They were contacted by Dometic on Friday and advised that the problem is that people are traveling with the external fan turned on, which is pulling heat into the fuse and causing it to blow. They advised that the external fan (the switch for it is just inside the cover on the outside back of the trailer, if you have the fan) should only be used if the outside temperature exceeds 100 degrees farenheit, and never when on the road. However, we used it all last winter in Florida with no problem, although not while traveling unless we were running on DC (from the car battery), in which case we used it with no problem. If this is indeed the solution to this problem, it's certainly an easy one. Make sure that fan is off when you are on the road. We will see...
Is this a too good to be true moment? I just checked and my switch was on, now off.
Having said that, perhaps a Forum engineer could explain how and why all of this actually happens.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #108

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
So I'm assuming this is the optional fan that you could have ETI add and not part of the Dometic fridge? That would be a simple solution if that is the problem.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
My fan comes on when the temperature is above 20 degrees Celsius. At night if it's cool, it turns itself off.
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #110

This fan, aka Texas Fan option is an optional auxiliary fan installed by Escape with an on/off switch in the lower rear refer compartment. Once activated, it is thermostatically controlled, on and off at something like 90/70 F. Here is the link to the manual Escape Trailer Owners Community - Downloads - Auxiliary Fan manual
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #111

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This fan, aka Texas Fan option is an optional auxiliary fan installed by Escape with an on/off switch in the lower rear refer compartment. Once activated, it is thermostatically controlled, on and off at something like 90/70 F. Here is the link to the manual Escape Trailer Owners Community - Downloads - Auxiliary Fan manual
Is this the same fan that Dometic is referring too ? Dometic may not be aware of auxiliary fans installed by trailer builders on some trailers. How can the fan draw heat into the fuse causing it to fail when it should be drawing cooler air across the fuse if it mounted above it ?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #112

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I was contacted by Escape too i decided to omit the fan. I rarely use my trailer in very hot conditions and i don't want to be bothered turning it on and off.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Is this the same fan that Dometic is referring too ? Dometic may not be aware of auxiliary fans installed by trailer builders on some trailers. How can the fan draw heat into the fuse causing it to fail when it should be drawing cooler air across the fuse if it mounted above it ?
It is a Dometic auxiliary fan kit. I got the manual from Dometic.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #114

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
I have ordered the External Fan for 21 and I just received this from Escape:
Escape Trailer Industries has been working very closely with Dometic regarding the significantly high failure rate of the Fusible Link in the 6cuft fridge. It has been determined customers are using the External Fridge Fan while the trailer is in transit and running the fridge on propane. Unfortunately, the combination of the fan, and air flowing through the top vent during travel is creating a negative air flow within the back side of the fridge causing the Fusible Link to Fail resulting in the fridge failure until a new Fusible Link is installed.

The DM2663LB Dometic fridge is a very efficient model and does not require the assistance of an External Fridge Fan. However, for those customers who are in temperatures exceeding 100F they may wish to use the external fan while the trailer is NOT in transit.
So the problem seems be using the Fan in transit. Since I will be roaming the South West full time I have opted (assuming there is a switch) to turn off fan when in transit.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #115

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Perhaps Dometic has the air flow data that I was curious about back in post #90 of this thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post209585
Air flow can do some pretty crazy things when going down the road at 60+ mph including over-powering the efforts of a little (small amp) fan. "I think I can, I think I can." Nope, you can't!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #116

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Whether to travel with the fan on or off should have been mentioned during orientation. I specifically asked if I could travel with the fridge on gas, the answer was yes, but no mention of the external fan. This would have saved a nasty surprise while traveling through the Rockies. Since the failure occurred on a Friday evening, we did not have an operational fridge for a couple of days. All the frozen food thawed and had to be disposed of.
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #117

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguezc View Post
Whether to travel with the fan on or off should have been mentioned during orientation. I specifically asked if I could travel with the fridge on gas, the answer was yes, but no mention of the external fan. This would have saved a nasty surprise while traveling through the Rockies. Since the failure occurred on a Friday evening, we did not have an operational fridge for a couple of days. All the frozen food thawed and had to be disposed of.
Hi: Miguezc... So sorry about your "Nasty surprise". I'm sure it has been for ETI too!!! If Reace hadn't had so much trouble with Dometic fridges... he wouldn't be installing the Dometic fan kits. IMHO I'm not so sure the solution is as simple as Dometic states it to be.
I'm sure if ETI knew about the "Turn off the fan while in motion" they would have told you at orientation. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #118

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
ETI couldn't warn you about something they didn't know at the time. Sounds like Dometic didn't know it either, which is no big surprise.

I know, I'm being negative.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #119

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It would obviously take some specialized equipment and expertise to set everything up properly, but it would be interesting to monitor the refrigerator's exhaust air rate of flow and temperature while driving down the road with the refrigerator operating on propane - which is when a lot of the problems seem to be happening. Perhaps the fusible link is actually working as designed, and the problem is that the air flow gets all messed up while traveling, such that the hot exhaust gas from the burning propane doesn't leave the burn chamber quickly enough, resulting in the fusible link doing its assigned job. Just a thought....
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Perhaps Dometic has the air flow data that I was curious about back in post #90 of this thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post209585
Air flow can do some pretty crazy things when going down the road at 60+ mph including over-powering the efforts of a little (small amp) fan. "I think I can, I think I can." Nope, you can't!
When I read your original post I was thinking that you are on to something. Unfortunately every trailer installation and the dynamics of the airflow at different speeds are going to be different. The bottom line is if airflow across the condenser is not adequate to condense the ammonia vapor to a liquid there are going to be problems. I hate to be a pessimist on this one, but I don't think the auxiliary fan is the real issue here.

This brings up other questions. Are the older "manual" refrigerators like the RM2510 that have a history of being more reliable (at least based on my experience and other posts) getting just as hot but there is just no thermal fuse to open? Or since both the intake and exhaust vents are on the sidewall is the airflow across the condenser better while traveling than those with a rooftop vent?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #120

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Traveling With Fridge

Well, for me, my fridge is 3 way, and I had no problem traveling around Florida last winter with the fridge set on DC power. Nor did I have any problem when stationary running the fridge either on propane or AC, with the fan on. I have only had problems running on propane while driving. So I'll just use the DC power while traveling. The only reason I used propane while on the road was that it seems to cool the fridge better than DC. But I will be tempted to try propane on the road with the fan off once I get myself an extra fuse!