Fridge stopped working.. Any Thoughts? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'
Fridge stopped working.. Any Thoughts?

Have a new 2017 21" Escape
Fridge has worked fine on two previous outings
After turning on to gas, fridge was working perfectly for about 24 hours.
Drove to camp site about 2 hours away and when I arrived the fridge had stopped.
FYI I had left the gas on while driving. No lights on the fridge control panel... looked for loose connections but could not see any visible problems.
I am thinking the circuit board may be faulty?
Any thoughts before I contact Escape?
Thanks
skinnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #2

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
reset button

There is a reset fuse button try that first .Then rewire the fridge per ETI instructions.Was your trailer level when Fridge stopped working .Do search for Dometic fridge with ETI instructions .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Guess i do not know where the reset button is..??
Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

fridge

Go search forums and you will see fridge help .I don't know how to post pictures .Will someone will help with pictures
Old 07-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

fridge help

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...ghlight=fridge

Try the link on top
Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Make sure that your battery disconnect toggle switch has not been inadvertently turned on (i.e., no power from the battery). With no lights even to the refer panel, that would be the first placed I'd check as the refer does need power to operate even with propane. If you have other lights that work, this is not the problem.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyp View Post
Guess i do not know where the reset button is..??
See attached photo. If this works, be sure to let ETI know as they are working with Dometic on this.
Attached Images

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #8

Thanks all... will check out the reset when I get home
Cheers Roland
Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 94 Acura MDX
I wonder how many of us have had Dometic refrigerator problems? For us it works only intermittently on propane and once didn't work on battery. Level sites, turned it off then back on after a couple of hours, blew out "possible cobwebs", all other propane devices work fine, etc. Checked by a factory-authorized repair facility and nothing found. "Working fine", but three days later we had to use an ice-chest for our food. The botttom door hinge broke and it looks to be an incredibly "weak" part. We fixed it with a screw, washer and bolt that is much more durable. This Dometic refrigerator is the most problematic aspect of our two-year old 17B.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Kathy & Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Helpful to include the model #.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy & Norm View Post
I wonder how many of us have had Dometic refrigerator problems? For us it works only intermittently on propane and once didn't work on battery. Level sites, turned it off then back on after a couple of hours, blew out "possible cobwebs", all other propane devices work fine, etc. Checked by a factory-authorized repair facility and nothing found. "Working fine", but three days later we had to use an ice-chest for our food. The botttom door hinge broke and it looks to be an incredibly "weak" part. We fixed it with a screw, washer and bolt that is much more durable. This Dometic refrigerator is the most problematic aspect of our two-year old 17B.

Same here. We have a 2013 5.0 (single axle) with a RM8551 refrigerator. Every system in the trailer has been completely trouble free except the refrigerator. It simply stops cooling. Two repair shops and several hundred dollars later and they can't find anything wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 94 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Helpful to include the model #.
Previous posts regard many different problems with a wide variety of sizes and model #s. My general, open-ended question is not in reference to any one particular model. Refrigerators seem to be a major source of problems. I'm curious about "reliability" in general.

Kathy & Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Previous posts regard many different problems with a wide variety of sizes and model #s. My general, open-ended question is not in reference to any one particular model. Refrigerators seem to be a major source of problems. I'm curious about "reliability" in general.

Reliability in general is not good compared to home refrigerators which are a different type altogether. Many absorption refrigerators simply do not have the ability to cool the same. They are apparently improved with good insulation, with what people here say.

Best to have a cooler for when needed. We routinely use our cooler and ice packs in conjunction with the refrigerator. Ice packs can usually be frozen at night as the trailer freezer will likely work for that, even if the refrigerator part is not working well.

The most problems though seem to be in higher temperatures. So depending upon when and where you travel, it may or may not be a problem.

Not sure how the newest refrigerators are doing since it has not been long enough or enough reports to tell. It is some older models with many problems. Our newer (not their newest) is good, much better than a previous model. But that could possibly be due to more insulation having been added.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Well then, mine is an eight-year-old RM2510 that's worked just fine, but I don't camp in 90F weather. Finally had it serviced and now it's not as efficient on AC. Better on propane.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge label.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
A brief synopsis based on my understanding from previous thread discussions is that the fridge problems started when the EU initiated new energy standards on RV fridges. The only models Dometic made that could fit thru the door of "classic" Escape were ones also sold in Europe and needed to comply with the standard. The ability to put different less problematic Dometics was one of (not the only) the reasons Reace went with a new mold and wider door.

Our older model in the 2010 17B (probably the same model Glenn shows above) worked well for us and the new model in our 21 is working well for us, but we are primarily shoulder season campers.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #16

fridge

We have been in TN.with our 21 for almost a month and it has been one of the warmest Summers on record last week into the 100's .We had Ice cream in freezer and it was still cold and some of the soft drinks were almost Frozen .I have turned down fridge to number 3 we had it at 5 for a while (we also have the Texas extra cooling fan ) This fridge is Great so far (about 4000 miles and about 40 days )
Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Well then, mine is an eight-year-old RM2510 that's worked just fine, but I don't camp in 90F weather. Finally had it serviced and now it's not as efficient on AC. Better on propane.
Based on what I have seen on this forum and elsewhere we are in the lucky minority. No issues so far with the RM2510. Hope it continues.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 17
Quote:
.... My general, open-ended question is not in reference to any one particular model. Refrigerators seem to be a major source of problems. I'm curious about "reliability" in general.
Been wondering the same think here Kathy after reading this news bit.

"Dometic Produces Record Number of Refrigerators"
"Dometic produced 18,069 refrigerators for use in RVs and other mobile applications at the Industrial Parkway facility in Elkhart during the month of June, setting a record of units produced in a month."
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
How many produced and how many work, well, it could be that they mainly manufacture compressor type.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
See attached photo. If this works, be sure to let ETI know as they are working with Dometic on this.
Our new DM2663 completely died 48 hours after our pickup in June 2017. No cooling, no lights on control panel, completely unresponsive. After talking with Tammy and bypassing the fusible link (pressing the reset button did nothing), it has worked great on propane and 110 volt. On setting 4 it has been 38-42 degrees in the refrigerator and single digits in the freezer, even in 100 degree Texas weather and with no auxilliary (Texas) fan turned on. But that is just 6 weeks of data, and really just 3 weeks of camping data.

I am waiting to hear something from ETI when they hear from Dometic about a resolution to this problem.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote