Fridge will not shut off - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Innisfail, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5TA
Posts: 29
Fridge will not shut off

Has anyone had a similar problem where the fridge refuses to shut off? We have the rmd 8555 model in our 2015 5.0TA. After being on propane for a week as well as traveling in propane mode turning the fridge off resulted in a momentary shut down then started right up again. I tried switching it to electric and battery with the same result. After shutting the power off it switched off but saw soon as the power was turned on it started right back up. I then turned the propane off and it finally reacted to the off switch and shut down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Carl Hansen
__________________

Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 11,061
You may have activated the automatic power switch vs the manual power switch. Check the manual on this feature.
__________________

__________________
Jim
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midwest, Iowa
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Has anyone had a similar problem where the fridge refuses to shut off? We have the rmd 8555 model in our 2015 5.0TA. After being on propane for a week as well as traveling in propane mode turning the fridge off resulted in a momentary shut down then started right up again. I tried switching it to electric and battery with the same result. After shutting the power off it switched off but saw soon as the power was turned on it started right back up. I then turned the propane off and it finally reacted to the off switch and shut down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Carl Hansen
Yes, had this happen a number of times. All I can say is to try hitting the spot in a slightly different place until you get it to work and maybe hold your finger on it a little longer. Could be that you are releasing your finger too quickly and/or one spot is better than another. I have managed to shut it down after several tries each time I had this problem.

We were on electric. I switched it to propane to see if that helped but it did not. I have also tried hitting the reset button but if that helped, it was not right away. Could not tell that that helped. By the way, we never have it on automatic.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Innisfail, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5TA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Yes, had this happen a number of times. All I can say is to try hitting the spot in a slightly different place until you get it to work and maybe hold your finger on it a little longer. Could be that you are releasing your finger too quickly and/or one spot is better than another. I have managed to shut it down after several tries each time I had this problem.

We were on electric. I switched it to propane to see if that helped but it did not. I have also tried hitting the reset button but if that helped, it was not right away. Could not tell that that helped. By the way, we never have it on automatic.
Thanks Cathy, yes I tried all of the above and the only way it would shut off was to turn off the propane, all else failed
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Thanks Cathy, yes I tried all of the above and the only way it would shut off was to turn off the propane, all else failed
Hi: Jude... We always run on A auto and the shut down is push and hold the button till the light goes out. You may have a control board issue, but I hope not. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midwest, Iowa
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Thanks Cathy, yes I tried all of the above and the only way it would shut off was to turn off the propane, all else failed
Meant to tell you that it probably just happened to shut off when you turned off the propane. No telling how it finally gets shut off except maybe hitting just the right spot. We already had our propane off when it kept staying on, so that does not affect it as far as I can tell.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midwest, Iowa
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jude... We always run on A auto and the shut down is push and hold the button till the light goes out. You may have a control board issue, but I hope not. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yes, seems to be an issue with the board and/or it needs to have just the right spot hit.

I am wondering if, when it will not shut down, whether driving and charging the batteries will keep the batteries from depleting while the refrigerator is on. Certainly expect it would deplete them. Thought I was going to have to disconnect the batteries.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Innisfail, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5TA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jude... We always run on A auto and the shut down is push and hold the button till the light goes out. You may have a control board issue, but I hope not. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Hi Alf, yes tried holding the off switch and it shuts down but as soon as it is released it turns on again. I agree probably a control panel issue
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Hi Alf, yes tried holding the off switch and it shuts down but as soon as it is released it turns on again. I agree probably a control panel issue
Did you disconnect the battery overnight to let any power to bleed off and possibly reset the microp?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Innisfail, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5TA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Did you disconnect the battery overnight to let any power to bleed off and possibly reset the microp?
Thanks Klem, will try the disconnect
__________________

Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.