Fridge will not shut off - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5TA
Fridge will not shut off

Has anyone had a similar problem where the fridge refuses to shut off? We have the rmd 8555 model in our 2015 5.0TA. After being on propane for a week as well as traveling in propane mode turning the fridge off resulted in a momentary shut down then started right up again. I tried switching it to electric and battery with the same result. After shutting the power off it switched off but saw soon as the power was turned on it started right back up. I then turned the propane off and it finally reacted to the off switch and shut down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Carl Hansen
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You may have activated the automatic power switch vs the manual power switch. Check the manual on this feature.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Has anyone had a similar problem where the fridge refuses to shut off? We have the rmd 8555 model in our 2015 5.0TA. After being on propane for a week as well as traveling in propane mode turning the fridge off resulted in a momentary shut down then started right up again. I tried switching it to electric and battery with the same result. After shutting the power off it switched off but saw soon as the power was turned on it started right back up. I then turned the propane off and it finally reacted to the off switch and shut down.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Carl Hansen
Yes, had this happen a number of times. All I can say is to try hitting the spot in a slightly different place until you get it to work and maybe hold your finger on it a little longer. Could be that you are releasing your finger too quickly and/or one spot is better than another. I have managed to shut it down after several tries each time I had this problem.

We were on electric. I switched it to propane to see if that helped but it did not. I have also tried hitting the reset button but if that helped, it was not right away. Could not tell that that helped. By the way, we never have it on automatic.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Yes, had this happen a number of times. All I can say is to try hitting the spot in a slightly different place until you get it to work and maybe hold your finger on it a little longer. Could be that you are releasing your finger too quickly and/or one spot is better than another. I have managed to shut it down after several tries each time I had this problem.

We were on electric. I switched it to propane to see if that helped but it did not. I have also tried hitting the reset button but if that helped, it was not right away. Could not tell that that helped. By the way, we never have it on automatic.
Thanks Cathy, yes I tried all of the above and the only way it would shut off was to turn off the propane, all else failed
Old 08-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks Cathy, yes I tried all of the above and the only way it would shut off was to turn off the propane, all else failed
Hi: Jude... We always run on A auto and the shut down is push and hold the button till the light goes out. You may have a control board issue, but I hope not. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Meant to tell you that it probably just happened to shut off when you turned off the propane. No telling how it finally gets shut off except maybe hitting just the right spot. We already had our propane off when it kept staying on, so that does not affect it as far as I can tell.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jude... We always run on A auto and the shut down is push and hold the button till the light goes out. You may have a control board issue, but I hope not. Alf
Yes, seems to be an issue with the board and/or it needs to have just the right spot hit.

I am wondering if, when it will not shut down, whether driving and charging the batteries will keep the batteries from depleting while the refrigerator is on. Certainly expect it would deplete them. Thought I was going to have to disconnect the batteries.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi Alf, yes tried holding the off switch and it shuts down but as soon as it is released it turns on again. I agree probably a control panel issue
Old 08-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Hi Alf, yes tried holding the off switch and it shuts down but as soon as it is released it turns on again. I agree probably a control panel issue
Did you disconnect the battery overnight to let any power to bleed off and possibly reset the microp?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Did you disconnect the battery overnight to let any power to bleed off and possibly reset the microp?
Thanks Klem, will try the disconnect
Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Thanks Klem, will try the disconnect
Looking in the frig lower vent mine has one large red wire with a fuse. Then the red breaks into 2 wires, one large and 1 small. You could just pull the fuse and IF it works you could do it simply in the future. You just want to make sure it's not getting any power on either wire.

Good luck.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Looking in the frig lower vent mine has one large red wire with a fuse. Then the red breaks into 2 wires, one large and 1 small. You could just pull the fuse and IF it works you could do it simply in the future. You just want to make sure it's not getting any power on either wire.

Good luck.
Klem,might be a good last resort. Thanks