Fridge won't turn on - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #31

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabberwockJazzy View Post
What is the pietso. We are camping at golden ears and our fridge won't ignite. It tries but then we get a warning light. Our trailer is 2 days old and a 2015 propane tanks are both full. Help!!!!!
I think you mean piezo not pietso . The piezo igniter provides the spark to ignite the propane when your refrigerator is set to gas.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I would open the outside access door to the refrigerator, it is the one with two black plastic nuts that you rotate 1/4 turn and then pull back the door and lift up. Play with it awhile as I find the door frustrating. Once it is off, have someone start the refrigerator from the inside and watch for any sparking. If you have spark it may be gas supply. Be sure both propane tanks are turned on. There is a direction arrow on the tank knob. In a pinch plug into shore power and run off electric. It should automatically sense the 110 voltage when shore power is applied and have switched over when you attempt to start.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Classic Escape 19
Thank you. We don't have shore power.
JabberwockJazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Make absolutely certain that your battery disconnect switch is not engaged, i.e., that you have 12V power. Even using propane, the refer must have 12V power available. And even if your propane tanks are full, make certain that the valves are open.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Is this the first time you've used the fridge? Was it run at the factory? If it's brand new and not been operated before it can take a short amount of time for the gas to get there.

Has the furnace been run? If not, try it and it will help purge the line if it's a case of first use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I first light a stove burner to ensure propane has had a chance to flow through the lines. Then I light my fridge, following the instructions on the fridge.
Don't know what fridge you have so, that's all I can offer.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #37
rfs

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I believe Ron is on the right track. You could be experiencing some sort of an air lock. I turn on my stove burners and fire the furnace the first thing after the propane hasn't been used for a while. Then hold the button down on the fridge starter and let it click for as long as a couple of minutes. Propane is kind of strange when it comes to outside temperatures, elevations, humidity etc. Air locks are like iffy wiring grounds, they will mess with your logic at times.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
I believe Ron is on the right track. You could be experiencing some sort of an air lock. I turn on my stove burners and fire the furnace the first thing after the propane hasn't been used for a while. Then hold the button down on the fridge starter and let it click for as long as a couple of minutes. Propane is kind of strange when it comes to outside temperatures, elevations, humidity etc. Air locks are like iffy wiring grounds, they will mess with your logic at times.
Dave
Although it may not be the cause here, I agree. We had an issue the 2nd day running the fridge on propane, but then I checked if I could light the stove. After running the burner for several seconds, then watching the flame sputter a bit before steadying, I assumed the gas lines were purged. When switching again to propane on the fridge, it fired right up. No problems since.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:31 AM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Not that it matters, but an electronically controlled refrigerator without a pilot light doesn't actually have a piezo ignitor. A piezo system has a pushbutton that snaps when you push it, making an electrical spark without outside power; in contrast, the electronic ignition system (usually called direct spark ignition or DSI especially when used in water heaters) makes a spark like a spark plug in an engine.

The electrode that might be out of place is a metal tip - the high voltage wire is attached to it, so when the ignition circuit is turned on a spark (which you can hear if you listen closely) jumps between that electrode an part of the burner assembly, lighting up the propane. As Pau mentioned, you should be able to see the sparking when the refrigerator attempts to turn on the burner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I first light a stove burner to ensure propane has had a chance to flow through the lines. Then I light my fridge, following the instructions on the fridge.
I do this when I have run out of propane and refilled, to purge the lines and ensure that the appliances are getting propane. It also confirms that there is propane... so (for instance) the tank valve is open.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Classic Escape 19
Thank you. We will try some of your suggestions. Not much cell service at the campground.

JabberwockJazzy is offline   Reply With Quote