Frig. Door fell Off ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Hunter Shadow
Frig. Door fell Off ?

Good Morning Escape Owners - ( 2013 15A ) I had the Frig door fall off .....
I remember this topic being discussed on the Fourm or at the Ralley ?? ......
The top pin seems to have no stability ( Wobbles ) I adjusted the threaded bottom
Pin and that did not correct the issue -
I have the Trailer put away for the Winter But do want the solution and necessary
parts waiting for Spring ! - If anyone has had this same issue I would appreciate
your input .......Regards Missoula Studio
Missoula Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Little House Casita (Larry Gamble) sells a kit for repairing or preventing damage to the upper refrigerator door hinge. I installed the kit on my refrigerator . Fast, easy install
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Another option...
Attached Thumbnails
fStrap4.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I might say worse words than 'frig', if my fridge door fell off.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bill and Earline had the top freezer door come off the RMD 8555, the pin fell inside the channel. He was able to remove and reinstall correctly and it had held
see here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post107690
Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
First re the wobbly pin: I have the 3cu model 2354, which had that wobbly upper hinge issue. The hinge pin threads were worn down so that it could not be tightened in the hinge. I ended up ordering both the upper hinge pin and the hinge, being I was uncertain about the condition of the hinge threads. Wobbly problem solved - though it needs to be retightened periodically. Re door falling off: Mine hasn't opened inadvertently since I shimmed the thumb latch and secured the door with a bungy - and keeping the hinge pins tight helps.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
First re the wobbly pin: I have the 3cu model 2354, which had that wobbly upper hinge issue. The hinge pin threads were worn down so that it could not be tightened in the hinge. I ended up ordering both the upper hinge pin and the hinge, being I was uncertain about the condition of the hinge threads. Wobbly problem solved - though it needs to be retightened periodically. Re door falling off: Mine hasn't opened inadvertently since I shimmed the thumb latch and secured the door with a bungy - and keeping the hinge pins tight helps.
All of this, and following Reace's admonition to NEVER travel with anything in the door. So far, so good.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Little House Casita (Larry Gamble) sells a kit for repairing or preventing damage to the upper refrigerator door hinge. I installed the kit on my refrigerator . Fast, easy install
It's Little House Customs: Store | Little House Customs

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
All of this, and following Reace's admonition to NEVER travel with anything in the door. So far, so good.
We always travelled with lots of stuff in the door, mostly drinks, and only once had a problem, which was a failing latch. Once I fixed that, it was always fine.

This was in the no longer used 5 cf though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
the first time our refrigerator door fell off we took it to an authorized dealer who got us a new door at no charge. The second time it fell off, the repair shop offered to get us a new refrigerator (RM2354) if we paid the installation. The RM2354 is smaller than the 4.3 but we are happy we made the change especially since so many people have been unhappy with the cooling of the 4.3. We never got a chance to experience hot temps with the old refrigerator but have had the new one in mid 90's without any problems.
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
"All of this" has worked for me even with stuff in the door - SO FAR!
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 17' Escape Floor B
Had mine fall off when I hit a big bump. That cracked one of the trays but was able to put the door back on. I have the standard frig. Have had no problems since then!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Revived thread… Got concerned about reports from friends re their fridge door coming off. Decided on a strap, but wanted a cleaner look both when in use and not. I used two, metal (not plastic) hatch door clips and screwed them to the framed material on each side of the fridge. When closed, they give a clean appearance. I open them and drop a loop of the strapping material over each one, buckle them in the middle and cinch them tight. Easy to add, easy to take off and a very, almost unnoticeable look when closed. Pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4825.jpg   IMG_4826.jpg   IMG_4828.jpg   IMG_4829.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I, too, worried about the refer door after seeing earlier posts on it coming open during transit. While my solution is not as elegant as Tim's (not even close!), it serves the purpose; it is simply a bungee cord attached to a door handle and to the stove grate. It is extremely tight and the refer door won't budge with it in place. My trailer is in storage so I made do with a text addition to the pic to show the placement...
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert Refer Door Strap.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I, too, worried about the refer door after seeing earlier posts on it coming open during transit. While my solution is not as elegant as Tim's (not even close!), it serves the purpose; it is simply a bungee cord attached to a door handle and to the stove grate. It is extremely tight and the refer door won't budge with it in place. My trailer is in storage so I made do with a text addition to the pic to show the placement...
Karen, are you not concerned with the stove grate popping off when you hit a bump, and with the bungee tied to it? My whole oven top has popped loose a couple of times before I took measures to prevent it coming loose.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Our door came off for the second time . A jug of milk spilled onto the floor . That's when we noted that the cabinet walls are NOT sealed to the floor and anything spilt will go under the walls .Where everything will have to come out to make a proper clean up . This time it was the bottom pin that came loose .
Going to use a stronger Loctite and seal the walls to floor with clear silicone .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2888.JPG   IMG_2889.JPG   IMG_2891.JPG   IMG_2890.JPG  
Old 06-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Karen, are you not concerned with the stove grate popping off when you hit a bump, and with the bungee tied to it? My whole oven top has popped loose a couple of times before I took measures to prevent it coming loose.
No, I am not. The tension of the bungee cord is so tight that a number of things would have to happen in order for this to fail as a secondary backup to the regular refer door latch. Namely, both refer door pins (or whatever is holding the fridge door on) would have to pop out (in which case I think the bungee cord would still be in place), the lower door handle would have to come loose, or the stove top would have to break free and it is screwed down to the counter top. That particular grate is in the stove top so tight that I have to work to get it out just to clean it and the tension from the bungee cord just adds to that--not even a rollover of the trailer would free that grate. But if all those things did fail, I would probably have much more to worry about than a refer door opening during transit.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 06-12-2016, 10:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
This time it was the bottom pin that came loose...Going to use a stronger Loctite...
Wow. I can't tell from the pictures but did the pin break or did the door "bounce" off the pin somehow? And what will you do with the Loctite?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Yes the bottom pins screws up from the bottom, so If it un screws it falls out .
The pin brackets have 3 screws on the fridge wall face I Loctited them last year . Now the pins, they only have about 2-1/2 threads on them . That's the reason they come out so quickly . The next thing you know the door is off and there is a mess . We do have a strap holding the door closed but not meant to hold it on . But we will .
Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Yes the bottom pins screws up from the bottom, so If it un screws it falls out .

The pin brackets have 3 screws on the fridge wall face I Loctited them last year . Now the pins, they only have about 2-1/2 threads on them . That's the reason they come out so quickly . The next thing you know the door is off and there is a mess . We do have a strap holding the door closed but not meant to hold it on . But we will .
Okay, confusion reigns here...or maybe it just rains. Or maybe I should just rein it in. At any rate, how would using more Loctite help in this situation? One wouldn't use it on the pins, right?

I guess that checking the pins should be on one's routine maintenance list.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali