Front box attempted burglary - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Mary, you still using the towel on the brace method since april? Thanks in advance.
Yes, we are still using a folded towel laid across the top of that center brace. This does seem to only be a problem with the box on the 21. "Gocamp," I think yours will be fine with your 17.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Feel bad for you about the damage to your front box. I doubt that putting a better lock on is the best solution.

Any determined thieve could be in and out of my storage box in no time. I leave one hasp on one side of the box with no lock, and keep a small dollar store lock on the other side, just to deter those casual thieves. I do only use my front box for power cords, water hose, wooden blocks, sewer pipe fittings, a coleman stove, and a few other odds and ends; so there is nothing in mine that has enough value to be worth having the box severely damaged by a thief trying to gain access. While at a campground, I will often just leave the lock attached but left open.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Storage box

We had box #1 on our 19 and used it for about 3 years with the original attachment components and then a 21 box for the last 3 years as the box is now mounted. Lots of miles but no failures. I do stuff the box full, of course under 100#, when I close the lid it pulls slightly on the box edge, and I push the lid down and then I use a stainless latch on one side and a medium sized antique lock on the other side for the benefit of the almost honest people. I just checked and see no wear anywhere. Maybe the box needs to be full of the mat, two sun screens, broom, rubber made box with all of my awning items I might need to secure the awning in strong winds and many other items that might be dirty.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Now I'm really glad I have a front dinette with window because you never know who (or if) someone is out there.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Front box

One of the reasons we have a window over the bed in our 21.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We had box #1 on our 19 and used it for about 3 years with the original attachment components and then a 21 box for the last 3 years as the box is now mounted. Lots of miles but no failures. I do stuff the box full, of course under 100#, when I close the lid it pulls slightly on the box edge, and I push the lid down and then I use a stainless latch on one side and a medium sized antique lock on the other side for the benefit of the almost honest people. I just checked and see no wear anywhere. Maybe the box needs to be full of the mat, two sun screens, broom, rubber made box with all of my awning items I might need to secure the awning in strong winds and many other items that might be dirty.
Jack
I think you're onto something, Jack! As long as you're under 100 lbs, the more bulk inside the box, the less bouncing around of the contents = the better...
Old 09-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Now I'm really glad I have a front dinette with window because you never know who (or if) someone is out there.
Yelp, what or who is out your front window?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #18

Or, out your back window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backWin2.jpg (54.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
Art when I zoom in on the pictures of the remaining lock, to me, it looks like intense wear from the lock swinging back and forth. The hasp and lock both have wear marks. The other picture looks a bit strange to me as to what tool the thief would have used. The only way I could imagine him getting it done so quietly is with a very large bolt cutter and that hasp, to me, doesn't look like it is cut that way.

Maybe I am missing something, not the first time for sure, but I'm wondering if it might not have been theft attempt but something else.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #20

"Something else" gets my vote. My latch is so low-rent no burglar would waste his time peeking inside the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TngBx11.jpg (57.6 KB, 23 views)