Front Cargo box dimensions requested - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Front Cargo box dimensions requested

Ahoy, all,

Wisconsin Winter is creeping in, and I'm casting about for an Escape project. I have left over materials from kayak/roof top cargo box building projects and I am desiring to build a wood cargo box similar in shape and size to the Escape models. I have a supply of "bending" plywood, a bit over 1/8 thick that conforms to pretty tight radius's. I also have some marine 1/2" ply for the base, plenty of epoxy and fiberglass tape and sheet. I've done these sort of projects before and am an experienced tinkerer.
What I don't have are dimensions of the Escape cargo box or any photos of one. If you have the inclination, I'd sure appreciate any data or images and details of the Escape cargo box and advice.

Thank you,
Tom
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ron in BC as well as Myron have built their own front boxes, they could help with their own dimensions...
Old 12-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The rough measurement of the ETI box is 80" wide, 14" front to back and 22" high. When I say rough I mean rough because it's poring down buckets of rain.

When I bought my 21 I was expecting to build a second box, virtually the same as I built for my 19. But I ended up getting the second time around bonus box so that was one less mod to do.

Quite frankly I'm not sure the dimensions of the ETI box would be all that helpful. If I had built my own box it wouldn't have been to the ETI box dimensions. There's a lot of wasted space, front to back.

I asked for the box not to be installed. I installed it and I raised the front edge because I didn't like the factory "falling forward" look. There is space behind it and ahead of it. At the rear I'm going to install a 3" tube for pole storage.

So, on my 19, I made the box back follow the slope of the Gen 1 front to maximize the internal space. The ETI box becomes narrower as it descends. So there's lot's of options in the direction you prefer.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-06-2019 8-24-31 PM_0038_resize.jpg   IMGP0045_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #4

Thank you Ron for your information. Why the "bump in" at the lower portion of the Escape box? Is there some reason, or just looks and structural corrugation?

I appreciate your very prompt response.

Any others with input?.........I'm listening before I start cutting and shaping.

bon voyage,
Tom
Old 12-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's hard for me to tell because I mounted mine myself and ETI might place it a little differently than I did. The "bump ins" on my 19 are for the WDH. The reason for the front shape of the ETI box isn't clear. As mine is now if it continued straight down it looks like it would be clear of the WDH brackets. It definitely would clear if it was mounted the factory way.

So my best guess is the stepped front face adds strength.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

Structural reasons. The walls are thin fiberglass and the box is sprayed with a rough exterior, similar to truck bed line X coverage. The middle is raised inside and that is where the batteries are installed on E19 models and each side drops down maybe 3-4" like a wheel well. I drill holes in mine to allow any water to escape. I imagine it could make a great cooler other than having no insulating qualities.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Tom,
I don't know if there's much (or any) difference between the 1st and 2nd gen 19' boxes but you're welcome to come over to Monona and take all the pictures and measurements you'd like.

I sent you a pm with contact info.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #8

Jim,

I will contact you soon. Tried PM's (3X), no luck with that system.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #9

Once it warms up I'll take some pictures and measurements today.....
Old 12-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #10

Okay, here are some numbers. the box is odd shaped (trapezoid shaped) 79" long along the back and 48" wide at the front and 22" deep. There are 2 wells at end end where the sides drop down over the rails this area is about 12" and 22" deep/one on left and right. The middle part that is 48" wide is 19" deep so maybe 3" shallower. The outside is sprayed with lineX? all my dimensions are inside...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1286.jpg   IMG_1287.jpg   IMG_1288.jpg  
Old 12-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #11

Thanks cpaharley. Your dimensions and pics are helpful. Jim (of jimrules) is nearby and offered a showing of his box. I will examine it and take more photos measurements and maybe make a template or 2. Your info is very helpful.

Tom
Old 12-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Box sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Thanks cpaharley. Your dimensions and pics are helpful. Jim (of jimrules) is nearby and offered a showing of his box. I will examine it and take more photos measurements and maybe make a template or 2. Your info is very helpful.

Tom
Hi Tom
I was going to send you the dimensions on our front box on the first generation Escape 21 but
did not think the 21 and the 19 had the same length box as the 21 is wider than the 19. Also the 19 has the batteries in the center of the box and the 21 has batteries under one of the bench seats inside. I didn’t remember that your rig came without a front box. Good luck with your project I know you’ll get it to come out looking good.
Iowa Dave