Front window rock shield support arm broken on E19. HALP! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Front window rock shield support arm broken on E19. HALP!

The screw that connects he upper arm to the window bracket sheared off and left me with one support arm. I contacted ETI and they didn't have much tech support other than to tell me to extract the screw. They said the brackets come with the window as an assembly and they don't install them.

The problem with that is twofold. The smallest extractor I can find is a #1 and it's too big.
But moreover I can't figure out HOW to reattach it because there is no access to the backside.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?
(pix #3 is sideways)
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Can’t quite see from the pics, but it appears you could carefully drill out the old screw. If there is enough room once that is drilled out, I’d probably rivet the arm back on the bracket with a small washer on each side of the arm to allow the arm to move. Or retrofit once drilled out with a larger screw.
Just kinda throwing out some initial thoughts here from what I can see, you’ll be able to better tell from a close look.
Another kinda third thought just had is you could potentially JB Weld a bolt to the bracket that the arm would then go over and a nut and washer. Probably be my last choice, but I have yet to have JB Weld fail. I re glued a plastic cup holders arm in the car with it and it’s still working through a ton of abuse.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

@ Greg A. - The bracket is attached to the window frame in a way that the backside is inaccessible.
However if I can't figure out a way to repair it properly, the only solution will be to drill out the screw and use a pin to hold the guard in place will be about the only patch I can come up with -
LESSON TO ALL - MAKE SURE THESE PIVOTS ARE LITHIUM GREASED UP!
Old 01-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just discovered that if you enlarge the last photo and double click on it ( Mac ), it rotates to the correct orientation, which might help with problem solving.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.40.22 AM.jpg  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Richard, my first choice then would definitely be the rivet if there ends up being enough room to insert one and pull it. I’m going to look at these arms when I head over to storage, I rarely open the rock guard so really don’t recall much. It sounds like replacing the two arm screws with SS before they shear on me, as well as the grease might be in order for preventative.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Drill a new hole slightly above the original one and put in a new screw. This works fine, I’ve done it on a SOB.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Guess I was lucky, mine just stripped after a couple of uses at the outer end. I was able to re-thread it.

Tricky location because it's always more difficult to drill out something when the surrounding metal is only aluminum. It the drill doesn't stay perfectly centered then it can drift sideways and make a mess.

If all else fails maybe the current base metal could have a flat piece of aluminum pop riveted to it with a new tapped hole in it. That would depend on how much clearance there is between the edge of the guard to do that.

Good luck

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
It looks like there may be a “little” space behind the face. How about drilling out the screw, then drill a larger hole nearby. Connect the larger hole to the drilled out screw hole, in keyhole fashion. Insert the head of the new screw through the larger hole and slide it down to the original?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Drill a new hole slightly above the original one and put in a new screw. This works fine, I’ve done it on a SOB.
I'm thinking that it's a case of never ignore the obvious simple solution. Yes, I think that a new hole just above the old one would probably work fine. Above is likely better than lower because that might not leave enough room for the arm to full telescope.

Ron
Old 01-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

All - ETI gave me the window PN.
I've contacted Pelland Enterprises whom I assume is a distributor for the window.

- Pelland Enterprises

Stay tuned.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
LESSON TO ALL - MAKE SURE THESE PIVOTS ARE LITHIUM GREASED UP!
Thanks for the suggestion! I will put that task on my spring maintenance checklist.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Looks like the pop rivet you drill out to remove the bracket for the arm and then easily add a replacement screw.
Attached Thumbnails
window.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #13

Good photo, that makes it much easier to understand the situation.

I agree, I'd rather drill out those rivets and work on the piece when I could put it in a vice to drill out the other hole.

Ron
Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #14

Attached is a closer pix of my current nemesis.
I still haven't heard from manufacturer, but here's the latest (along with better pix.

I tried drilling out the existing screw. I've broken 3 titanium bits. Hmmm. here's a sign. Upon further inspection it appears the nut and the screw shaft "corpse " are in the way. I've been probing behind the bracket (the one on the window and there are some obstructions.

One of my first tinkering rules is that unless fixing something is urgent and critical (which is when I hire it done - yuk yuk) As soon as I start getting frustrated I BACK OFF. This is when I'm at the point I'm a gonna get a bigger hammer and that never has a good outcome.

Next step - PLAN A wait until here from the manufacturer. They should at least offer up a replacement bracket. If they do, then I'm gonna hafta learn how to use my pop rivit tool.

Plan B - drill a hole just above or below, and SOMEHOW add a machine screw which will create a post which I think I can make work.

Plan C - somebody out there mentioned JB Weld - mannnnnn ..... hmmmmm. The funny thing is my wife suggested Super Glue (which IMHO is Satan's snot) I immediately started to explain the 359 reasons I hate Super Glue then I remembered JB Weld -
Old 01-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Looks like the pop rivet you drill out to remove the bracket for the arm and then easily add a replacement screw.
I've never done this before - Just drill in there with a tiny bit and hope the world doesn't implode?
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #16

Why not try Plan D? (See post number 12.) You'll find it not at all difficult.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
I've never done this before - Just drill in there with a tiny bit and hope the world doesn't implode?
It can be really easy to do that or not so easy. It depends on what the shank of the pop rivet is made from. If it's aluminum and an 1/8" rivet you just use an 1/8th inch drill bit and drill the old one out. Usually works quite well but sometimes the drill bit can skid sideways and create a little more work.

If the shank is steel and it's in aluminum it's more likely that the drill will skid sideways and make some sort of a problem. I usually try and create a center for the drill by using a prick punch.

Ron
Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #18

And don't press too hard. Let your sharp drill bit do the work.