Frozen Water Hose - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Frozen Water Hose

After 2 straight nights of our water hose freezing (it was 15 degrees this AM - even my fresh water tank was frozen), I decided to take some precautionary steps (having never been in this situation before - we are from the South).
Remove the hose, and drain thoroughly. Reattach to the camper, and let the end that connects to the faucet hang (I used my bungee cord to keep it off the ground). In the AM, I'll reattach the hose to the faucet, and off we'll go with a nice hot shower! If the temp is going to be freezing all day, just repeat the process after showering. Assuming of course, that the campground has heated their faucets, which most who are open all year do.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails
Pike13.jpg  
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Frozen Water Hose

Something to think about when in campgrounds with services while camping in colder weather, for sure. I had not realized that campgrounds had heated taps, but I guess they would have to with freezing temps.

I have mostly just used the onboard water from the tanks, and as long as you have some heat in the trailer (my tank is inside) then it doesn't freeze, but I have been caught leaving it on in use with water in the tanks, and even with temps not far below freezing, the lines froze up on me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #3

The Casita has it's fresh water tank inside, and like you said, if you have heat inside, you're good. But the Escape is outside, so no go. Of course, how many times are you camping in 19 degree weather (as it is again this AM in Colorodo Springs), and it frees up a lot of storage under the dinette seat.
Most full service parks open in the winter have their water faucets wrapped with heater tape, then wrapped in insulation. Or at least the one's we've encountered so far. At home, we don't camp in this kind of weather, and VERY seldom go to full service parks.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

I am going to have my water tank installed inside, because we camp in weather below freezing a fair bit, otherwise up here you would not get out too much at all.
In the 19 with the permanent bed, there is quite a bit of storage space under it. I too am wanting as much space for storage as possible, but I will give some up to have the water inside.

I have never been to a full service campground in the winter, heck I have almost never camped at one ever before, butit is good to know that they provide water in this way though. I wonder if they shut it down when it gets extremely cold though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

All these hints are useful for those of us in warmer climes. Since Lake Tahoe may be a winter destination at some point helpful info is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

Hokie,
I am looking at Escape and Casitas, do all Escapes have their fresh water tanks outside? I am looking at the 17B. Thanks
vargalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargalu
Hokie,
I am looking at Escape and Casitas, do all Escapes have their fresh water tanks outside? I am looking at the 17B. Thanks
Hi Vargalu,
No, apparently some models can have the tanks placed inside under the dinette seat, which as you've followed this thread, takes up storage space, but keeps your fresh water tank flowing in really cold weather. For some reason, balance I think, the 5.0 couldn't. Best thing to do it ask the Escape Master's, Tammy and Reace and see if in the 17B they can do it. BTW, we loved our Casita, but without a doubt in our minds, the Escape is a step above.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #8

We could have brought the tank in under the bed of the 19, but it wiould have had to be low (I believe 7" max) due to where they could mount the filler. This makes it quite wide and would affect access through the outside hatch. I had thought of using a high tank that takes up less floor space for the same volume, but because of the ridge of the moulding on the lower part of the trailer you can't raise the filler enough. If you went above the line of the moulding, it would then be above the height of the bed.

What I might do is to get a good quality automotive insulation sprayed on between the frame to insulate it (and the grey tank too), and may also add heat strips to it to keep it from freezing during the cooler spring and fall nights

I might add a second tank inside under the bed that I could manually fill and would be used for both when boondocking and added storage is needed, or when the temps get low if I don't do the insulation thing.

Either way, I might likely carry a 6 gallon can of water as well. I do this a lot now for use outside, and for hauling and adding water to the trailer where there are no hook-ups.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #9

That's definitely an idea Jim. Unfortunately, around here (in the East) everything closes down in the late fall, and doesn't open until April or May (commercial campgrounds stay open, but....we like the Nat'l Forest). We always carry drinking water, so you can brush your teeth, etc. just not take a shower. The larger water cantainer would allow flushing the toilet which doesn't take much.