Funnel for refilling water tank from 5 gal water bottles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Funnel for refilling water tank from 5 gal water bottles

When we get our Escape 21 we will be going from a 46 gal water tank in our stick trailer to the 30 gal tank in the Escape. We already would occasionally add water to make it through a long period dry camping with the 46 gal capacity and are sure we will now need to bring much more water along and regularly refill the tank from 5 gal containers. To ensure the gray tank doesn't overflow in the Escape, we plan on washing dishes in a tub in the sink and then dumping in the bushes or down designated drains at the campsite.

I would appreciate ideas for the following:

Has anyone read about or built a self supporting funnel that could be stuck into the water tank inlet, allowing you to pour the water at a downward angle. I have used a 1 gal plastic milk carton (with a window cut in the side) and clear plastic tubing pushed over the neck as a funnel, but it requires someone to hold it and it comes apart all the time.

I'm guessing there are others out there who dry camp and have better ideas than this. Maybe you can actually buy something designed with supports.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Bob,
I like this idea, I have the jug already, at 7 gallons it may be too heavy though.

There's also buying a spare water pump and using it.

I use this one now, it's not self supporting so I need to get my wife in on the chore to make it work. Haven't tried it with the 7 gallon jug as yet, only a 3 gallon pail.
Attached Thumbnails
funnel (495 x 441).jpg  
Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've used a 6 gallon jug. I tell myself that I only need to fill it half way, but...... You know, it's a guy thing. I finally broke down and now ask my wife to help poring it in.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
This is not an original idea, but I've seen a couple of examples of using stick-on hooks, like you might use in the shower, to hold a funnel in place. You could use the vacuum type or one of the Command Hook types, neither of which result in any damage to the fiberglass.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We often take an extra large container of water along, but it never gets poured into the trailer. We use it for cooking and drinking water outside. I am not even sure of the size of our water tank in our trailer, but we have never come close to emptying it.We usually bring a couple gallons of filtered water too, for use with coffee.

Not a solution for you, but another option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A TV tray or small folding table that's a bit higher than the fill? Maybe I'm not visualizing the issue, but this seems like it would work. Using the clear hose like Bob shows, lay the jug on it's side with the hose down the filler and let gravity do the work. The neat thing is the small table can be used around the campfire too. Double-duty
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition

Got this 6 gal at Wal-Mart. Like it because its thin. Can pour this solo with my funnel by keeping the funnel bowl held upward with the jug's spout, although it's a little heavy at first. When nearby a camp water source prefer the round 3 gallon jugs. Love the translucent water tank on the trailer- we don't need the sensors.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #8

That's what I use also. With a little practice, I've been able to just insert the spout into the Escape filler without messing with a funnel. It's a little ungainly until a gallon or two have poured in, but it's simple that way.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

Funnel

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of a screw on funnel end like on the 6 gal container, but I should have mentioned that I use the 5 gal purified water containers (often just filled with tap water from home). We had some awful tasting water in the past when we used to carry water in giant water containers sold by Canadian Tire and other stores with camping equipment. The plastic broke down and added its chemicals to the flavouring. Since switching to the purified water supplier containers I haven't had a repeat of that chemical leaching.

The flex necked funnel that Bob (Padlin) posted might do the trick if the water inlet on the Escape 21 isn't as high as it was on our stick trailer. It was too hard to hoist the water container high enough and long enough to pour its contents down into a funnel. Another benefit of the milk jug was that if I poured too fast its large volume acted as a buffer for the water surge. I drew a diagram of the setup I used before. I'm thinking that if I glued the milk jug, and the two plastic tube sections together it wouldn't come apart on me and then I could put a couple of hooks on the wall of the trailer (suction cups) and support the funnel assembly from them.

It seemed to me that there had to be a better way, and maybe even a commercial funnel with a wide enough lip to act like a tray. It would be nice to be able to fill the water tank on my own without baptizing my wife, but then it can be a real laugh! http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...lies/laugh.gif

Bob K
Old 01-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use a hand pump to winterize. Would also work to pump from water container ( with a longer hose ).
Attached Thumbnails
Hand pump.jpg  
Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Plastic Winterizing Hand Pump Kit - Camco 36003 - Winterizing - Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 10.35.39 AM.png  
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #12

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
I recently read a blog from a full timer that rigged up his on board water pump to fill his fresh water tank from any container. He installed a couple of valves and a siphon hose. They made a youtube video, I will try and find it when I have more time. Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #13

Funnel

I'm thinking that I should have been using a water pump all along. Will try the hand pump in Glenn's link. When dry camping we don't like to use our onboard pump more than necessary.

Bob K
Old 01-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Bob

You might want to check this pump out. Just add some tubing onto the spigot and your good to go.

Portable Electric Water Pump Drinking Dispenser 5 Gallon Bottles: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have the pump pictured above and use these bottles. This process would work with a couple of caveats: the water flow is slow, it will take 10 minutes to empty that bottle. There will still be quite a bit of water left in the bottom of the bottle and finally you will have to hold the bottle in place or have a stand with just the exact height.

We carried these bottles for several years, mostly for coffee. The only safe place to carry a full one is in the bathroom or a truck bed. I do not have a truck so having them in the bathroom made for a real PITA when stopping for lunch or doing an overnight. A Brita water pitcher has been an nice replacement.

A hose in place of the spout might be possible but I do not think that pump has the power to push water further upward, we are talking about 2 D cell batteries here.

A great bottle to use, if it was just not so hard to pour from. As an aside I have looked for inexpensive pumps to handle fluids in the garage, draining gas and oil from engines mostly. After researching on Amazon I gave up on any sort of small pump. There were just too many problems.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
more water out than in on a 21'

On our 21' the internal fill hose must be horizontal for a long distance. With just a funnel more water spills out than goes in. The solution was to add a foot long length of hose to a funnel. Adjusting the hose on the inside would be a solution, but it is not accessible.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #17

I've been kicking around the idea of using one of these at some point in the future.
Amazon.com: Eccotemp 03526-14A Flojet 2.9 GPM 50 PSI Water Pump: Automotive
It's a typical RV water pump that looks like it could be connected up easily with the necessary hoses and could be powered from the Escape or from the tow vehicle trailer receptacle. It's a little pricey compared to hand pumps and funnels, but compared to all the messing around I've done with other solutions, it might be worth a try.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Any typical RV pump can be equipped with fittings which would allow quick connection of hoses to become a transfer setup, although the Flojet could be easy to set up (if those fittings can stand up to frequent disconnection and reconnection). I use an electric pump with my motorhome when filling away from a faucet - I don't have a choice, because it does not have a gravity fill and the tank can only be filled through the city water inlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Any typical RV pump can be equipped with fittings which would allow quick connection of hoses to become a transfer setup, although the Flojet could be easy to set up (if those fittings can stand up to frequent disconnection and reconnection).
I plan to make a permanent connection with vinyl tubing at the hose barbs on the pump. One tube goes into the container and the other into the Escape, connecting them together with a double ended hose barb when not in use.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #20

Water funnels and pumps

I have stayed clear of any unnecessary tubing in our trailer to prevent growth of algae and bacteria in the water system. I supervised the water purification system for a large hospital lab for 25 years and learned through experience about the perils of having distribution lines and loops without adequate and frequent flow. Even a short dead leg or rough surface can give organisms a foothold for growth. I would rather use an external hand or electric pump to add water because I can keep an eye out for any growth. BTW, once you have growth in a water circulation system the colonizing organisms form a protective biofilm or sheath that prevents sterilizing with bleach and other strong solutions. We spent a year or more battling growth in our system (with countless meetings with experts with major commercial water purification companies) before giving up, dismantling the circulating pipes and going to separate localized water sources.

You would be shocked to see what can grow in purified water that doesn't circulate continuously and isn't adequately and regularly decontaminated. (And yet, there are probably many people who haven't had any issues with adding extra tubing in their RV's.) Based on my experiences I am paranoid and play it extra safe, even for the water we brush our teeth with. You won't see the large number of bacteria in the water.

I still plan on trying a hand pump like Glen recommended or if that isn't workable, Parker's Flo-jet hooked up to the truck or trailer (? external DC outlet?)

We have always kept a full 5 gal purified water container inside the trailer (transported in the truck) for filling the coffee kettle or our drinking water container in the fridge. For this we use a bottle top push pump (similar to the electric one that Doug described) and press down on it to pressurize the bottle and dispense.

Bob K