Furnace and air conditioner come on at same time - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Furnace and air conditioner come on at same time

Hello,

Well, I finally got to take my new to me 2016 Escape 19 for a trip and I love it! It was a good decision to move from my well loved Casita.

I visited a friend, we plugged in and all seemed fine until I turned on the furnace. I have a Dometic digital thermostat (photo attached I hope). I went through the list from fan, cool to the heat setting. Furnace came on followed almost immediately by the air conditioner. When I unplugged from shore power, same steps and only the furnace came on. Since I wanted electricity, I plugged in a small electric heater (35 degrees outside) and was warm in no time.

What don't I understand about the furnace, air conditioner, thermostat connection?

Thanks,

Mary
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1376.jpg  
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary LG View Post
Hello,

Well, I finally got to take my new to me 2016 Escape 19 for a trip and I love it! It was a good decision to move from my well loved Casita.

I visited a friend, we plugged in and all seemed fine until I turned on the furnace. I have a Dometic digital thermostat (photo attached I hope). I went through the list from fan, cool to the heat setting. Furnace came on followed almost immediately by the air conditioner. When I unplugged from shore power, same steps and only the furnace came on. Since I wanted electricity, I plugged in a small electric heater (35 degrees outside) and was warm in no time.

What don't I understand about the furnace, air conditioner, thermostat connection?

Thanks,

Mary
You do realize that your air conditioner will only work when you are plugged into an alternating current (AC) power supply? Your furnace will work off of the 12V batteries in your Escape, and will (if working properly) function whether or not you are plugged into AC power.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have a different thermostat on our 2017, but at orientation they told us to select Auto, then choose AC or Heat. , if you pick AC or heat directly without the Auto, both will run..

Maybe yours is like that too?
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes if you don't select auto they both run -doesn't make sense but that's how it works.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #5

Dave, yeah, I do know the air conditioner needs AC. What I don't understand is why when plugged how to run the furnace only.

I don't see an auto setting on my thermostat. Only have on/off with fan, cool, furnace selections and you have to run through them in order to select the one wanted.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Mary, that is the same camper, and thermostat that we have, and we have never had both come on at the same time when we select furnace. And it sounds like you are going through the correct steps to get to furnace. Wonder if there is a short somewhere?
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
maybe you have a different thermostat then mine but for mine i have to use auto or both come on. Maybe call ETI and ask them?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mary,
When you select the Fan setting it should say "Auto" in the window. Use the + - to change the selection when in the Fan mode until it says "Auto" then use the on/off to move to Furnace.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Watch this video for a perfect walk through of your exact thermostat and how to avoid the issue:

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
That's a very good video. Guess since my fan setting is always in Auto mode, I've never had the issue.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #11

Thank you so much! Your answers are perfect!