Furnace stopped working - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Furnace stopped working

My trailer's furnace has stopped working. When it comes on, it blows cold air for about fifteen seconds then shuts off again. I made sure that I have propane, and I hit the "reset" button on the furnace under its cover.

Before leaving home I replaced the furnace's thermostat with a White-Rodgers digital thermostat. The furnace seemed to work okay with the new thermostat at the time. I foolishly left the original thermostat at home.

The only thing I'm willing to try myself is to replace the digital thermostat with a very simple mechanical one. Otherwise I need to take the trailer to an RV service center. Any idea what might be wrong with my furnace?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
This happened with my furnace, too. The fan came on but then it failed to ignite which shut it down. In my case, it was a bad sail switch which was replaced at my local RV dealer. Others have had this same issue with the furnace.

Edit: Because this happened in the winter, I now carry a back-up Buddy heater in case I'm off-grid. I also use a small electric heater if I'm hooked to the grid.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Mike - We just had our mobile tech out yesterday to look at our Atwood as it was doing something similar. He listened for the sail switch (which, as owners here will attest, seems to fail) but ours required a "factory reset" of the digital thermostat.

Our furnace worked fine all last year, including two weeks in the snow in Yellowstone; however, it failed on Christmas when guests were staying in the trailer. (The technician said "the fail" was no doubt caused by people + alcohol + pushing buttons ... ) Since you replaced your original thermostat with another, perhaps the thermostat needs to be reset (directions should be in the thermostat's manual).
Jan
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't see it being the thermostat in your case Mike, but a simple test would be to disconnect the leads to it, and hold them together. If the furnace starts and keeps running until you break the connection, it is the thermostat. If it reacts the same as with using the thermostat, it is definitely with the furnace itself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I can't see it being the thermostat in your case Mike, but a simple test would be to disconnect the leads to it, and hold them together. If the furnace starts and keeps running until you break the connection, it is the thermostat. If it reacts the same as with using the thermostat, it is definitely with the furnace itself.
Ditto, also you might try giving the furnace a good old fashion whack or two (old fashioned tech term ) after the fan starts blowing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #6

I stopped by an RV shop in Marathon, just to ask. The man confirmed that it sounded like a sail switch, and said I could give it a whack in case it's stuck. He also said low voltage will make the fan run too slowly to give enough air pressure to activate the switch. The threshold was 12.x volts, and I forgot what the "x" was. I'll watch my battery monitor to see how much voltage I have before going to bed tonight. I told the man I'd bring the trailer by next week when I pass through again.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Low voltage will also cause the gas solenoid valve not to open if it's not the sail switch failing to function due to slow fan speed. Can't just jumper the across the sail switch as the furnace logic is looking for the transition to open/closed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Update to my post ... the repair tech told me he had reset the thermostat (something I had read about in the manual); however, my husband told me the reset was done at the furnace but that the tech said the problem started with the random button-pushing of the thermostat. Just a little mis-communication ...
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

I checked my voltage and it's okay. I gave the furnace a few whacks when it tried to turn on, but it ignored me, so next week I'll have a pro look at it. Enjoyed hitting it, though, after a chilly night.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #10

I finally got my furnace fixed. It turned out to be trash, "fluff", they said, interfering with the sail switch. In the future I will have this checked during an annual maintenance.