Furrion wireless review camera - no signal when engine running. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
Looks pretty solid... does it work? We put our Escape into storage and haven’t had a chance to touch the wireless backup camera.
If you're asking about my little film-can gizmo, it been working fine, two short camping trips since the install, about 700 miles total.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
If you're asking about my little film-can gizmo, it been working fine, two short camping trips since the install, about 700 miles total.
Do you mind sharing how your simplified Chris’ setup?
Did you also use the 470 uF capacitor and a 3A diode?
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:55 PM   #43

Yes, used four capacitors and a diode. Below are the links to Amazon, price is so low I had to buy ten capacitors and 20 diodes. When I was a teenegers working and playing with electronics I probably paid the same for one.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-13-2020, 02:04 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Quote:
Yes, used four capacitors and a diode. Below are the links to Amazon, price is so low I had to buy ten capacitors and 20 diodes. When I was a teenegers working and playing with electronics I probably paid the same for one.

Thank you for sharing the amazon links. If it’s not too much trouble, do you mind sharing how you wired the 4 capacitors and diode? Is this something I could do with electrical twist caps?
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Sonic 231KRV
Same issue on a 2012 Audi Q7. Had to bypass the system computer in order to save 1800.00 for a towing package with 7pin wiring here in town. I went through the tail lights and performed wiring that way with a the Curt Bluetooth break connector to the trailer. The hazards have an option on the app to bypass so intermittent breaking stops.

As for the vision 7... I am having the same problems. If I power up the monitor, turn my lights on without the engine running, I can have that monitor run all day until the battery dies. Fire up the engine, and I have lost signal within a couple minutes. With the backup and side cameras, there is a central part where all the wiring comes together yes? Then its a matter of wiring up Effie or Chris idea and the problem should be solved?
tullyamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #46

Would this be closely the same idea?
https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Capac...ustomerReviews
Old 08-21-2020, 03:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
Thank you for sharing the amazon links. If it’s not too much trouble, do you mind sharing how you wired the 4 capacitors and diode? Is this something I could do with electrical twist caps?
Here is a schematic of the simple filter, I do think that you need a small circuit board for structure and a soldering gun to connect the components and wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Backup Camera Filter_s1.jpg  
Old 08-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #48

Is there any harm in putting this vehicle side before the 7pin connector?
Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullyamo View Post
Would this be closely the same idea?
https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Capac...ustomerReviews
This can be the easy solution as most reviewers like it, and not expensive.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
This can be the easy solution as most reviewers like it, and not expensive.
Thanks for this link. Just added it to my shopping cart I was all set to bust out my soldering iron to fix the issue with my new 21c--even when I was doing a fair amount of it, my soldering was messy and I'm sure lack of practice hasn't made perfect.

Thanks to everyone else in this thread as well. I was fully expecting the issue with my BMW X5 as others have mentioned with German vehicles, so I was unsurprised when it failed to work with engine running. This thread has saved me hours of troubleshooting.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #51

Trailer: 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullyamo View Post
Is there any harm in putting this vehicle side before the 7pin connector?
It depends on how much current the rest of your lighting etc on the same circuit draws from the 7-pin harness. I think the preference for putting it on just the camera wiring is so that the requirements are much more well understood and the current capacity is also less.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #52

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Anyone know if a 2018 Silverado will supply "incompatible" power with the ETI-delivered Furrion S system? We just bought a 2020 Escape with factory-installed system and it did not work reliably when towing home. It would run for a couple minutes then just stop, with either a "no signal" or "boot-up" display. I have found online reference to issues with 2019 GM vehicles but nothing on 2018. Apparently Furrion sells an "adapter" that plugs inline with the 7-pin cord but appears to contain more than a capacitive filter.

I will contact Furrion tomorrow but thought I'd ask here.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
My buddy who has an airstream and a gmc truck said something about waiting for that combination because of a future firmware update, I’ll ask for specifics.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 Jayco X17Z
I drive a 2018 gmc sierra slt with every available option.
My furrion rear camera runs flawless. I had the pre wire and mount pre installed so everything was just plug and play.
My trailer is a 2019 Jayco Whitehawk
stever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #55

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stever71 View Post
I drive a 2018 gmc sierra slt with every available option.
My furrion rear camera runs flawless. I had the pre wire and mount pre installed so everything was just plug and play.
My trailer is a 2019 Jayco Whitehawk
Thank you. Hopefully Furrion can guide my troubleshooting. My side mirrors were OK for seeing adjacent lanes but not wide enough to see behind the trailer unless I was on a curve. I liked having the rear view so I'm motivated to get it working.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Jayco X17Z
Yes. You will get a great field of vision behind you. Nice to have on the highway and visble grid lines are bonus to see how close objects/vehicles are behind you
stever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #57

Trailer: 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Anyone know if a 2018 Silverado will supply "incompatible" power with the ETI-delivered Furrion S system?

The best/foolproof way to see if there's a problem with power to the camera is to get an oscilloscope on the 12V in the 7-pin connector when the engine is running and the trailer is hooked up. Anything else is (possibly-educated) guesswork. On my TV, I could easily see the signal being chopped up to give 12V average but the minimum was below what the camera could handle.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #58

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Furrion Backup Camera Problem - The camera monitor cycles on and off. Reading the Furrion website and this forum has helped identify what I think is the cause. The trailer was ordered with camera and LED running lights. My tow vehicle has sensing for a trailer light or tow vehicle light being out. Somehow this combination is causing a problem for the camera.

Escape says contact Furrion for a solution. Furrion hasn't returned emails other than to acknowledge they received my email and are busy dealing with customers so expect to wait. It has been 3 weeks.

I kinda like the capacitor and diode solution explained by some but wonder if that would interfere with the operation of the safety circuit that monitors for lights out. I don't feel comfortable with sourcing materials and building the device. I think it would be frustrating for me.

I am wondering if I could just power the camera using the trailer DC system with a relay switch controlled by the running light circuit. I don't know if a relay switch in the lighting circuit would interfere with the safety circuitry but I don't think so. I would prefer to not interfere with the safety system that notifies the driver if a light is out.

If this is a viable alternative, I don't know a good relay switch to use for this application. Maybe someone has done this or can give advise if this is a good or bad idea? I can probably get help locally at an appliance or radio repair business.

Another thought is to connect the camera to the backup light post in the 7-pin splice box. I don't think this would be the best.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #59

Just buy one at Amazon, generally good reviews and no one is complaining about any side effects, and I never had any issue with the one I build. The challenging part is crawling under the e19 bed to install it.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #60

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Effie, good idea. Thanks for the push. I think I was being just a little stubborn because it seems to be a well known issue that Furrion could avoid for $0.25.

I may go with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088H4Y9H2/
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furrion camera wireless