Gas Pressure - Fridge Problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Gas Pressure - Fridge Problems

At Moab, AZJACK suggested I check my gas pressure since my fridge was not doing well. It cooled better on A/C than gas and could not keep it below 45°F on gas unless it was really cool (cold) outside. Jack had found his regulator set too low, and probably DAVE1's as well.

I hooked up my manometer and it showed between 7 and 8 inches water column ("wc.) The fridge manual calls for 11"wc.

I turned my regulator in (higher pressure) to just over 11"wc. (I didn't count carefully but I think there are 7-8 threads showing.) We are heading to Woods Canyon Lake Sunday so I'll see how that does. (The weather forecast is cool so it won't really be a good test.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Interesting that both yours and jacks regulator when adjusted to 11 wc has 7-8 threads showing. Do you remember how many threads you had showing when you started? Did you notice any difference in your stove pressure or water heater lighting quicker? FYI Jack said his pressure was around 7-8 wc when he started too.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Interesting that both yours and jacks regulator when adjusted to 11 wc has 7-8 threads showing. Do you remember how many threads you had showing when you started? Did you notice any difference in your stove pressure or water heater lighting quicker? FYI Jack said his pressure was around 7-8 wc when he started too.

Dave
There were 5 when I started. Both stove burners are hotter on high. The water heater has always lit nicely. I never looked at the water heater flame but I would bet it is also higher.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
...I hooked up my manometer and it showed between 7 and 8 inches water column ("wc.) The fridge manual calls for 11"wc...)
Just out of interest, where do you hook up your manometer in order to measure the propane pressure? Is it measured at the tanks or at an appliance? Do you need any special fittings? A photo of your setup would be really interesting to me.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #5

Mine came with exactly 1 fitting, which fit perfectly. There is a brass bolt on the back of the fridge in the same fitting the copper gas line attaches to. Turn off the gas, remove the bolt, screw in the fitting, attach the manometer, turn the gas on, and run back and forth between the manometer and the regulator.

Reverse it to put everything back and check for leaks.

If you do not know how to do this PLEASE take it to an RV or LP service company.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Fridge pressure

I had my regulator adjusted by a technician that had 30 plus years experience and the latest digital equipment and I think the temp is lower now, unfortunately the out side temp has been much lower since that time. We are now home for a couple of weeks and I'm going outside right now to turn the fridge on with gas as the temp is forecast to be close to 100 for a day or two. I'll let you know.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

Fridge update

94 ' outside, after an hour the freezer was down to 64' and the fridge was still at 93. I turned the inside fridge fan on now to circulate air but it is empty. I'll check tomorrow.
Jack
Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I also had fridge cooling problems and made a manometer and connected it to the low pressure quick disconnect outside near the doorway on my 19. The pressure on mine was also low around 8. I reset it correctly. I think Reace would have fewer warranty complaints on the units if he checked and set the gas pressure regulators on each trailer shipped.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Here is a YouTube video on how to make a manometer .
Propane pressure manometer leak test tool for RV use. - YouTube
Old 05-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #10

Fridge update

6a.m. this morning (next day) the freezer is at 0 and the fridge is at 41 outside air is 68, the lowest of the night. I'll see how it holds through the day at 95 to a 100 outside. I believe I might be ok now as long as the fridge has some pre-cooled items to reduce all of that space and wall area that may have the same cooling capacity as the smaller freezer that has double wall thickness. I will also check on the temp sensor in the fridge to make sure it has free flow air.
I'll also be using 120v in the next day or two to compare.
Jack
Old 05-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just got in from adjusting my gas pressure to 11" it was set at 9.5" not bad I guess.
Just wondering if as regulators age does the pressure change slightly as rubber stiffens (just food for thought).