Gaucho Option on 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Gaucho Option on 17B

I have a 17B on order. I want to make certain I understand the Gaucho option. My understanding is that it adds a double bed above the rear dinette so it's possible to have two double beds in a bunk arrangement plus the single bed in front.
Can someone verify that for me? And where do the components for the upper bunk store when not in use?

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I have a 17B on order. I want to make certain I understand the Gaucho option. My understanding is that it adds a double bed above the rear dinette so it's possible to have two double beds in a bunk arrangement plus the single bed in front.
Can someone verify that for me? And where do the components for the upper bunk store when not in use?

Walt
Walt, watch this video starting at 23:13. This should be helpful. I think the gaucho is at the front over top of the single bed.

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
When this question comes up (which it does, regularly) I usually link to an illustrated description which I did a decade ago and posted in FiberglassRV... in case you prefer not to go through a video.

Quote:
No, it's the front. "Gaucho" just means a seat (sofa, couch, whatever) which can be used for sleeping. In the front of an Escape 17', the gaucho bunk option provides an upper bunk above the seat/bed as well. The front dinette is only wide enough for single-width (lower and upper) beds.

Quote:
And where do the components for the upper bunk store when not in use?
The upper bunk folds down to become the backrest of the couch. There are also a couple of supports and a filler panel - put those where ever works for you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We had one in our 17B - Brian is right it adds a single bunk not overly wide- another thing to think about if you may or may not use it- it does take away some of the width of the seat when using the table. I'd I didn't think I would use it much - I would have preferred the little bit of extra width on the bench.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #5

Trailer: August 2017 17b
I believe ETI told be the bunks are 30" wide. Had wondered if would only be useful with kids, but sleeping on my side with knees comfortably flexed I only use just under 25". I'd check out the size you and whomever might find sleepable. The clearance between bottom and upper isn't much, however. Have gotten the impression it is definitely only a berth to slide in and out of...but also planning on getting the gaucho bunks in my Escape.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
In our 2021 17B,
Bunk beds: Upper 28”w 73”l window to window
Lower 29.5”w 74.5”l
Compared with sharing the main bed 51.5”w by 74.5”l - I would say the bunks are roomier
Upper bunk is only 2.5” thick, though, while lower and main are 4” thick. I would definitely put some extra padding for the upper bunk unless it's for kids, or you will end up with sore hips
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Does anybody know what is the exact clearence between the 2 beds ?
Jipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 17B
I can check for you a later date, perhaps tomorrow even. It's buried in the snow just now.
Are you wondering in terms of sitting up (not going to happen for most) versus being able to roll over?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:37 PM   #9

I mean how many inches between the lower bed and the upper one. I'm trying to figure out how hard or easy it is to crawl in the lower one.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 17B
The top of the lower bunk is about 20 inches from the floor. The bottom of the upper bunk is about 39 inches from the floor. The horizontal distance between the small cabinet near the door and the bathroom wall is about 28 inches. So you need to be able to get in and out of a 28 inch wide gap that is 20 inches tall and sits 20 inches off the floor. The opening is not centered in relation to the trailer width so there is slightly more room on the driver's side than the passenger side. I therefore crawl in with my head to the driver's side. I find getting in is easy, but I cannot fold my body and come out in a sitting position so I reverse the way I went in. I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs, so an average sized fellow, and not the most flexible sort. I have more than enough room to sleep comfortably once settled in though I don't perform gymnastic routines while I sleep as some might do. Kids have no problem with the in or out.
Let me know if you need more detail or want to see a photo or something. Could always call if you wanted as well.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #11

Thank you very much for all the details. It's exactly what I wanted to know. Very helpful.
Happy new year to you and family.