Gelcoat Crack - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
"We do not cover stress cracks under warranty unless they are apparent within the first few months of use and are a result of a manufacturing defect."

First I've heard of this policy.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Key part of that sentence and in the warranty is "are a result of a manufacturing defect".

If the crack was as a result of a manufacturing defect, it would appear within a few months.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I dunno. It would seem to me that a shell warranty should cover things like "stress cracks" for the duration of the warranty period. Even going down the road puts stresses on the shell. Also, what if the trailer gets parked for the first few months after delivery (as often happens with busy people) before regular use, and a crack appears shortly afterwards?

Then again, I don't build trailers.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #44

I don't build trailers either, but I also don't buy extended warranties because I figure if something is going to go wrong, it's likely to happen sooner than later.

I think that's ETI's call. That if it was from defective manufacture, it would happen much earlier.

I just don't think a stress fracture from flexing is likely where that crack appears. It's more likely from impact, but then I'd expect more than one.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't build trailers either, but I also don't buy extended warranties because I figure if something is going to go wrong, it's likely to happen sooner than later.

I think that's ETI's call. That if it was from defective manufacture, it would happen much earlier.

I just don't think a stress fracture from flexing is likely where that crack appears. It's more likely from impact, but then I'd expect more than one.
I think that’s exactly where a crack would originate; at the corner of a cut-out that was not braced.

I don’t have a problem with their policy but they really need to say that stress fractures are only warranted for the first few months. It would be clearer to the consumer and not set-up expectations that lead to disappointment. That’s about as polite as I can say that...
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #46

And my reply is not directed at you, gbaglo. Just using your comments as a springboard.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
And my reply is not directed at you, gbaglo. Just using your comments as a springboard.
No problem with your reply or position.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do the new trailers still come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Stress, spider cracking in gelcoat can be caused by a myriad of issues. Improper mixing, application, temperature at time of application, stress and flex, impact etc. Impact cracks are pretty easy to determine and the cracking on this thread wasn’t from an impact. We’re 90% certain ours was caused by the flex in the upper cabinets in the Classic pre-pole. ETI did provide a support pole to retrofit which I’m in processs of doing.
Stress cracks are not unusual on older fg trailers, but are highly unusual on trailers under two years or in our case 10 months. ETI did ultimately address our concerns under warranty as stated earlier.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
"We do not cover stress cracks under warranty unless they are apparent within the first few months of use and are a result of a manufacturing defect."

First I've heard of this policy.
This explanation from ETI is troubling to me as well. Under the current warranty, the only questions should be whether the crack was caused by a manufacturing defect and whether it was discovered by the owner within the two-year warranty period. Just because ETI has anecdotally found that most manufacturing defects get discovered "within the first few months of use" (whatever that means) doesn't necessarily mean that all manufacturing defects are discovered within that vague timeframe.

If ETI doesn't think it's caused by a manufacturing defect that's one thing, but they should explain to the customer why they think that. Just rejecting it because it didn't happen within "the first few months" is not a reasonable explanation and is inconsistent with their warranty.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Mesa,
We have enjoyed returning to British Columbia each May for the Customer Appreciation gathering in Osoyoos.
We made factory appointments each of our first two years following the gathering to get minor issues repaired or updated.
If you are inclined to attend the gathering this May, I am confident ETI would fix this crack for you.

That seemed to be a better way to get things done, rather than publicly airing warranty concerns.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #52

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
As a prospective new customer, I find this very concerning that the warranty will not cover this.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Mesa,
We have enjoyed returning to British Columbia each May for the Customer Appreciation gathering in Osoyoos.
We made factory appointments each of our first two years following the gathering to get minor issues repaired or updated.
If you are inclined to attend the gathering this May, I am confident ETI would fix this crack for you.

That seemed to be a better way to get things done, rather than publicly airing warranty concerns.
Bill
I'm still working and a trip to BC is not an easy trip. Besides being present is not a condition for the warranty. But I think you have hit on possibly why this claim is being denied.

As far as public airing, difference of opinion. I believe this is good information for prospective buyers and new owners. And the original post was asking help on how to repair it, and I got some good info.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm still working and a trip to BC is not an easy trip. Besides being present is not a condition for the warranty. But I think you have hit on possibly why this claim is being denied.

As far as public airing, difference of opinion. I believe this is good information for prospective buyers and new owners. And the original post was asking help on how to repair it, and I got some good info.
Though always a challenge to travel a good distance like this, either two longer days, or more shorter ones, it certainly would be worthwhile. Making it to the rally is always a lot of fun, and a side trip to Escape would be then easier to do. They have a nice service area now to deal with things like this. If it was possible to make a nice holiday out of it, it could be a wonderful thing to do.

I am mixed on the airing of things like this. While I do believe it can do good to let others know of a situation and to find a solution to the problem, there seems to be some that consider something like this a major negative against owning an Escape trailer, whereas in fact it is not much more than a minor inconvenience, and certainly something that does not bear on the overall quality of the product.

If folks would focus more on a solution, than to get into a debate on how bad it is that Escape is not willing to foot the bill on this, the thread would be more productive. The first part many of us can help with, the latter part is an issue that only Escape can deal with, as we all can only guess where their decisions come from.

After a few years with my 19 I had found a few very same stress cracks, and never really thought about airing it here, as I assume with the flex on the gelcoat these trailers might see for various reasons, that it was just normal. I just put a bit of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure on them, then waxed over. They never did get worse in the next couple years of owning the trailers. These cracks were on on the roof near the top of the wall and pretty non-conspicuous (possibly good reason for adding the stripper pole to the 19). If they were more visible, I might just do a full gelcoat repair, something that would take less than an hour to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Though always a challenge to travel a good distance like this, either two longer days, or more shorter ones, it certainly would be worthwhile. Making it to the rally is always a lot of fun, and a side trip to Escape would be then easier to do. They have a nice service area now to deal with things like this. If it was possible to make a nice holiday out of it, it could be a wonderful thing to do.

I am mixed on the airing of things like this. While I do believe it can do good to let others know of a situation and to find a solution to the problem, there seems to be some that consider something like this a major negative against owning an Escape trailer, whereas in fact it is not much more than a minor inconvenience, and certainly something that does not bear on the overall quality of the product.

If folks would focus more on a solution, than to get into a debate on how bad it is that Escape is not willing to foot the bill on this, the thread would be more productive. The first part many of us can help with, the latter part is an issue that only Escape can deal with, as we all can only guess where their decisions come from.

After a few years with my 19 I had found a few very same stress cracks, and never really thought about airing it here, as I assume with the flex on the gelcoat these trailers might see for various reasons, that it was just normal. I just put a bit of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure on them, then waxed over. They never did get worse in the next couple years of owning the trailers. These cracks were on on the roof near the top of the wall and pretty non-conspicuous (possibly good reason for adding the stripper pole to the 19). If they were more visible, I might just do a full gelcoat repair, something that would take less than an hour to do.
Jim,
I agree that in the overall scheme of the utility of the trailer this is minor and fixable, probably.

My frustration is the changing of terms of their warranty. If they only want to warrantee stress fractures for a few months, then let the buyer know that.

The Escape is a great trailer and we're very happy with our purchase but let's be clear that this is a manufacturer that is trying to maximize revenue/profits like any good company should.

Many here seem to create a close relationship with the owners during the purchase and ordering; not our experience and I don't have a problem with that. This was a pure business transaction: we gave them money and they gave us a trailer, that's it. The warranty was part of the pricing/buying decision and I am surprised that the warranty was not what I had expected, that's all.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The forum should be a platform for the airing of any issue concerning Escape. But, the difference usually comes down to tone. Yes, there are those who take every opportunity to bash a great company and a great trailer, but there are also those who are genuinely concerned and discuss these kind of issues in hopes they will be addressed and a solution found.

How can you tell when an opinion or concern crosses the line into needless negativity? To use an old analogy, I don't know, but I know it when I see it.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #57

Quote:
If they only want to warrantee stress fractures for a few months, then let the buyer know that..
I agree. Though I more or less understand their position here, it should be more clearly stated in writing.

In my mind Escape has done a fantastic job with product development, building trailer, and dealing with issues. They have the process down quite well. Where they do slip a little is in the non-production areas, ones that with many businesses (mine included) seem to take a back seat. The focus is on supplying a good product, with less done on things like writing up a clearer warranty, updating of websites, and such. Given the great product, I am willing to forgive them on this, yet I know others are not.

To be honest, I have never read the warranty. My decision was based on knowing how the business is run. I do read instruction manuals if needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #58

Forgot to include a link to Captain Tolley's previously. Good product for sealing minor cracks.
Captain Tolley - Product Info
Old 10-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
To use an old analogy, I don't know, but I know it when I see it.
I bet this is how you discovered my greatness then, eh?
Old 10-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #60

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do read instruction manuals if needed.
And Baglo is proud of you for doing so!

Reading a now 6 page long thread on a 4" gel coat crack makes me remember the conversation Leon and I had with the owner of a brand new 5th wheel sticky. He had had so many problems that the manufacturer refused to acknowledge or deal with, had left him so frustrated he threatened to drive the thing back to them and park it their front yard. Listening to his list of major problems he had had in the first few months of ownership sure put the few minor problems I've had with my two Escapes in perspective -- well for me anyway.

In the words of a very wise woman, YMMV.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote