Gen 2 top hinge window leak - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
any pictures of the silicone bead Reace installed available??
Here's som pics...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0375a.jpg   IMG_0376a.jpg   IMG_0378a.jpg  
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I'm not real clear on the remedy here....is this a defect in a few windows and the extra chalking is just a temporary fix until they get replaced or is the extra chalking the actual fix if you have a leak?

Stopping by my 17B tonight on my way home from work to check since Seattle has had quite a bit of rain. I'm grateful for having this issue pointed out. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:33 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I'm not real clear on the remedy here....is this a defect in a few windows and the extra chalking is just a temporary fix until they get replaced or is the extra chalking the actual fix if you have a leak?

Stopping by my 17B tonight on my way home from work to check since Seattle has had quite a bit of rain. I'm grateful for having this issue pointed out. Thanks!
Rick, When I returned to Escape to have the leak repaired, Reace explained he would remove the window to determine if the window was defective or the installation of the window was the problem.. As it turns out, the window was not defective in any way. They reinstalled the window making sure it was properly sealed in place. He explained that the added silicone at the top of the window was just an added precaution to prevent water from pooling at the top of the window. I've had no further problems. Reace handled this issue quickly and professionally and treated Elaine and myself very well!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
Rick, When I returned to Escape to have the leak repaired, Reace explained he would remove the window to determine if the window was defective or the installation of the window was the problem.. As it turns out, the window was not defective in any way. They reinstalled the window making sure it was properly sealed in place. He explained that the added silicone at the top of the window was just an added precaution to prevent water from pooling at the top of the window. I've had no further problems. Reace handled this issue quickly and professionally and treated Elaine and myself very well!
Do you suppose all of the new 2017 trailers with the frameless windows are being built with the windows caulked in this manner?
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 ta 2017 "Pied Beauty"
We picked up our 5.0ta April 3 and also have a leak on the double dual pane thermal window behind the dinette Contacted Escape and were told to reseal with silicon. We are slowly making our way back to Georgia and have not made this repair yet. Will work on it when we get home. Hope this will work. Susan
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #26

Trailer: 17
Silicone, As Donna Knows, many years on the FGRV forum it's hard to remove later for a re-seal down the road. Donna, would you use silicone on your 5th wheel?

FGRV member Raya,
"Once you have silicone oil/residue on your fiberglass, it is extremely difficult to get anything else to stick to it. "Anything else" including any new sealant. Even when you manage to get all the visible silicone off (and have fun with that), it leaves an invisible contaminant behind for "the gift that keeps on giving"

FGRV Richard Hays
"Silicone has a couple of bad characteristics that can cause problems. The first is that it tends to cure to a rubbery consistency but has poor adhesive properties - as the sealed area is flexed, this lets the rubbery bead of caulking 'break loose' from the surface or surfaces, meaning that the seal is no longer watertight. You can imagine the flexing that a trailer does as it is being towed..."

FGRV Ray N
"Years ago, when we had a sailboat, I was told that silicone makes a good gasket material, but a terrible caulk. Any thoughts on it as a gasket material?"
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post

Thanks! From the note above it seems to be an install issue vs window defect. I looked at my windows yesterday evening and didn't see any leaks inside. Might still caulk above the back window or install the rain gutter just as a precaution though.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #28

Trailer: pondering.....
the good news is the OP spotted the leaks and they were visible...and thank you for posting this issue and the repair methods .
the other good news is the OP lives close (rather than 2k miles) to the factory so he could have it fixed in a timely matter.....since these widows are new and probably not stocked anywhere in the USA yet (if ever), being close to ETI is a plus.....repairs requiring replacement could be a major PITA for the near future or longer for other buyers.
yes... you can put elephant snot (silicone) on anything and it's a good temporary fix....but it doesn't really fix anything long term if it's perhaps the window design or the window structure it's installed in!
would be nice if Escape tested each trailer after production for water tightness and leaks like some other trailer manufacturer's do.. another QC step but a good one for both this issue and the water in the fridge vent issue...would have perhaps prevented some problems and cost for both the mfg and the customer.

just an opinion , but for this camper there are to many possible unknown issues for these new fancy windows and the untested window installation methods/structure in the Gen 2 trailer.... glad to still have the choice and will stick with thermal sliders for the ETI build and any known issues they have....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
It has been reported that ETI no longer offers thermal (dual pane) sliders.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our 2010 19 has sliders. We installed the rain gutters as has been previously discussed. No leaks and did away with the black streaks for the most part too. I did not mind the install, Rita's accuracy and ladder work was impeccable. My " go get me the" performance was good too. Silicone is hard to get off for sure. I prefer Proflex or
Butyl tape depending upon the application.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
It has been reported that ETI no longer offers thermal (dual pane) sliders.
true, some happy buyers picked the option for thermal sliders before the option/choice was removed.....
Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #32

Trailer: 5.0 ta 2017 "Pied Beauty"
Thanks for the info. Everyone. And yes, it is a PITA to live so far away from ETI (both for the buyer and manufacturer). But I'm sure we'll get it worked out with ETI. Othrtwise, loving our new trailer!
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i specifically wanted the new windows and trust that my new trailer will not leak- but if it does i trust it will be fixed. ETI has always treated me well and my current trailer a 2012 is still perfect.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I too am a bit concerned about the reports of leaks on the new frameless thermal windows. I inquired about sliders the other day and was told that they are no longer an option. I know this has already been said in another recent post but thought some redundancy might save someone a call/email to ETI.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i specifically wanted the new windows and trust that my new trailer will not leak- but if it does i trust it will be fixed. ETI has always treated me well and my current trailer a 2012 is still perfect.

I will second those exact thoughts!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
the other good news is the OP lives close (rather than 2k miles) to the factory so he could have it fixed in a timely matter.....
Last time I looked, me the OP, lives 2k Miles away from the factory. No sliders for you either freespirit
Old 05-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I inspected my rear window hinge today, full of dirt and debris. I'm going to wash the trailer tomorrow, profile the top to keep out debris and install some gutter guard over the rear window, as a preventative measure. There should not be an issue with the curb side windows due to the roof lip behind the awning keeps water from running down that side, only the rear and street side are exposed to roof run off.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Last time I looked, me the OP, lives 2k Miles away from the factory. No sliders for you either freespirit
sorry about the mixup with the "OP" identity, was thinking of the posts from the NW at the time...
its sliders or ........
Old 05-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I inspected my rear window hinge today, full of dirt and debris. I'm going to wash the trailer tomorrow, profile the top to keep out debris and install some gutter guard over the rear window, as a preventative measure. There should not be an issue with the curb side windows due to the roof lip behind the awning keeps water from running down that side, only the rear and street side are exposed to roof run off.

I'm thinking of installing the gutter guard also for at least the back window. Question......how far down the side should the gutter guard be run on these new crank out windows? I would think all the way down the side because if it's raining and warm out I"ll likely have the windows open. I could see a stream of water coming in if the water wasn't channeled all the way past the window. Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #40

adding to advenas question,
anyone know what to prepare the gelcoat with before sticking them on? Rubbing alcohol, or windex or similar? I have seen gutters come down a little advenas and bend the sides down to break the water surface tension in photos.

One person said use painters tape to follow the edge with your eye to help you make a straight line.

A forum post said this, kinda interesting,
"The inventor of the EZE Gutter died last week. His name is Simon DeBeer, and he was a Holocaust survivor, and a dear friend."