Gen 2 top hinge window leak - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 06:18 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I usually go out, maybe 2" and curve down just a little to keep the water away. Also tilt the trailer towards front a little to keep water off the back if windows are open in rain. I just use alcohol from the medicine cabinet or one of those hand cleaner pacs they give out at food places.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
anyone know what to prepare the gelcoat with before sticking them on? Rubbing alcohol, or windex or similar?
Definitely not windex which has soaps in it. Alcohol would work fine, as would acetone on gelcoat.

That said, while effective, these gutters are rubber. I have used them recently on my daughters trailers, and they really don't look so great, kinda like an afterthought.

I have had a tone of rain, sleet and snow on my trailer since getting it, and no leaks yet, but I am going to do a thorough check today, though maybe not the best day to do it as it is to be bright and sunny and a scorching 26°C (79°F) today,
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #43

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I usually go out, maybe 2" and curve down just a little to keep the water away. Also tilt the trailer towards front a little to keep water off the back if windows are open in rain. I just use alcohol from the medicine cabinet or one of those hand cleaner pacs they give out at food places.
Be careful with the hand cleaner packs. They often include skin softening agents and or fragrances.
The ones diabetics use are cheap and contain 70% or more isopropyl alcohol only.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gutters

Here's a couple pictures of our 19 with the gutters installed on the side windows. If you buy a 25 foot roll you'll have plenty to do the whole trailer
We went down the sides quite a ways. Works well for us. Washed the trailer that is waxed with Rejex : dry and warm 75F. Rita put it on by eye. I held the ladder and snipped the pieces off the roll with anvil type pruners for straight cut. Been on for 2.5 years. No leaks.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2102.jpg   IMG_2103.jpg   IMG_2105.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #45

Trailer: None now
So the brilliant white is a good match? I see they have an off white but I'm not sure how that color would look.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here's a couple pictures of our 19 with the gutters installed on the side windows. If you buy a 25 foot roll you'll have plenty to do the whole trailer
We went down the sides quite a ways. Works well for us. Washed the trailer that is waxed with Rejex : dry and warm 75F. Rita put it on by eye. I held the ladder and snipped the pieces off the roll with anvil type pruners for straight cut. Been on for 2.5 years. No leaks.
Dave
Those look really unobtrusive compared to some of the black ones I have seen on other trailers.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Dave
Rita does nice work!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #48

I just went out to caulk the top and started thinking, had my significant other open the window while I was on ladder, that whole metal hinge flips out, so caulking or proflex will not work as it is a moving part. I'll just install some e-z- awning after cleaning.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #49

If there is no leak, why install the gutter? I can understand on the older sliders to keep rain water redirected from them.

If you wish to caulk the top of the awning windows with something like ProFlex, this would be an easy thing to do. The moving part of the hinge WOULD NOT be affected by this wee bead of caulking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #50

Excuse the crappy cell phone shot, but here is the best shot I could get of the hinge. You can see the moving part is out from the stationary one.

BTW, it is easy to open and close the kitchen window from the doorway while watching it operate. If one really wanted, I can't imagine it is real tough to remove the sash from the frame for better access if desired.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #51

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Dave
very nice install..also like the slider windows!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Excuse the crappy cell phone shot, but here is the best shot I could get of the hinge. You can see the moving part is out from the stationary one.

BTW, it is easy to open and close the kitchen window from the doorway while watching it operate. If one really wanted, I can't imagine it is real tough to remove the sash from the frame for better access if desired.
is there a gasket or something between the window frame and the fiberglass or is that a rigid material (black) in the pics such that the "seal" is also dependent on the installation clamping force of the frame against the fiberglass ?

pure speculation but wondering if perhaps other trailers that use that "European" version of an awning type window provides a better seal at the top with a different mechanical design.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When I looked at these windows at the RV shows, I don't recall any top hinge on those windows that looked anything like that. When I go over to storage later I'm going to take a closer look the units that have these. Seems like these are different than what the mainstream mfgrs are using.
Can one put a screwdriver in that slot at each end, lift the window over the top of the fixed hinge and gain access or is there no play to allow that? From the pic it looks possible.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #54

Jim B,
Are you suggesting removing the window, do the Proflex on the fixed part of the hinge and then reinstall? Seems if you disconnect the bottom scissors opening mechanism, the window lifts off at the top. As far as the gutters, I cleaned out that area, full of leaves and other gunk in order to inspect. Thinking that the gutters would keep that area cleaner.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
When I looked at these windows at the RV shows, I don't recall any top hinge on those windows that looked anything like that. When I go over to storage later I'm going to take a closer look the units that have these. Seems like these are different than what the mainstream mfgrs are using.
yes curiosity is gnawing on this camper too..off to the rv dealerships today to look at those other awing windows a lot closer...
one type was Lippert 3000 series with glass and there was another popular one that used plexiglass or polycarbonate for the window
Old 05-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Jim B,
Are you suggesting removing the window, do the Proflex on the fixed part of the hinge and then reinstall? Seems if you disconnect the bottom scissors opening mechanism, the window lifts off at the top. As far as the gutters, I cleaned out that area, full of leaves and other gunk in order to inspect. Thinking that the gutters would keep that area cleaner.
thinking about those EZE gutters...wondering if they stick out far enough from the fiberglass that they might help with any sealing issue at the top and side , and also might help cover the edge of the awing window to help mitigate wind from getting between the glass and the window frame?
..... keeping stuff from collecting at the top of the window frame seems good as well!
if perhaps any of the above is correct then perhaps the EZE Gutter is a possible solution for these awning type windows and any seal issues they may have both short and long term.... prefer function over looks.
looking at Dave's pics the EZE gutters look like they are part of the trailer!
would be nice if someone has the new awning windows and a piece of EZE Gutter to check this out...
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #57

If you get the thermal window option it is a thick window as there are 2 panes of glass, the interior one attached to the exterior pane. That said, the interior pane is smaller so as to fit inside the frame when closed. I can not see that with the thermal window set up that wind can get under the side and cause it to open. Perhaps with the single pane that may happen, but doubtful with the double pane.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #58

Quote:
If you get the thermal window option it is a thick window as there are 2 panes of glass, the interior one attached to the exterior pane. That said, the interior pane is smaller so as to fit inside the frame when closed. I can not see that with the thermal window set up that wind can get under the side and cause it to open. Perhaps with the single pane that may happen, but doubtful with the double pane.
yes..thanks for clarifying that...this wind thing may be an issue with other awning type windows...
do you have a piece of EZE gutter you can lay against the edge of your windows temporarily at the top (not attach) and take a closeup pic from the side like Jim's to see if it might be helpful along the edges of the window?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Jim, I'm not following. Thermal windows provide insulation due to the air space/vacuum between the two panes of glass. Are the two pieces of glass directly glued to each other with no air space or is there an aluminum frame that each piece is sealed to with air space/vacuum between the glass pieces?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #60

I believe it is 2 pieces glass glued to one another, with the inside piece smaller than the outside to fit inside the opening while the outside piece is flush against the exterior.