Gen 2 top hinge window leak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 17
Gen 2 top hinge window leak

Anyone one else have the new generation 2 window leak on the dual pane top hinged windows? Outside, if you look sideways at the top hinge. At the top you can see where the hinge end compresses into the gasket material, there is a small void/gap/ there. Yes it's very very very small I know. And all the windows appear to have that micro small void, on each end of every top hinge. Water goes in there and comes out inside at that top location where that gasket meets the metal frame, although visually there is no defect to see. Ignore where the window glass touchest the gasket, that's fine, no leaks. But inside the trailer looking up with a flashlight, where that gasket is fitted into the metal frame, water is squeezing in between gasket and ALU frame. My two back windows do this, the over the spare tire ones. Eze gutters are my first plan of attack.

I just wondered if anyone that has this knows an better fix? The roof channels a lot of water to these two windows and no other windows are doing it. If anyone else wants to check theirs take a flashlight and look up in this area for moisture droplets squeezing out between the gasket and aluminum, they are very small, mainly where the end of that hinge would be located. You have to guess being inside looking up.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Anyone one else have the new generation 2 window leak on the dual pane top hinged windows? Outside, Look sideways at the top hinge. At the top you can see where the hinge compresses into the gasket, there is a small void/gap/ there. Yes very very small. Water goes in there and comes out inside at that top location where that gasket meets the metal frame. Ignore where the window glass touchest the gasket, that's fine, no leaks. But inside the trailer looking up with a flashlight, where that gasket is fitted into the metal frame, water drips. I just wondered if anyone that has this knows an easy fix?
Following this thread

will have to go look on ours....
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
gocamp, is there any way to get a picture? Probably a tough spot for that...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Eze gutters are my first plan of attack.
That would be a warranty issue. ETI would be my first plan and let them resolve it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just went out and checked mine, there is a metal hinge cover along like 90% of the top and at each corner it stops. I inspected my gasket and it was flush against the exterior, no gaps. Went inside and pulled away the mattress along the back wall, all dry, no sign of water. Are you sure your water is not coming in from the refrigerator vent issue. I thought my front window was unsealed around the sides and bottom as there was no sealant and there was water under the dinette. After sealing the front window sides I got water under the bed and refer, turns out it was the refer vent problem which hopefully has been resolved for now. No more water inside.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 19'
Have gaps on 2 smaller windows front dinette driver & kitchen in my 2017 17b. Windows will be replaced by ETI. Gaps were @ bottom so not like your issue. Just FYI.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #7

My side windows new, were hard to close, left gaps until they were used several times and now close perfectly. Almost like the gasket needed warming and then reseated to allow the window to properly close.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 17
The gap/void is about the size of this . period on all my windows. You may need a magnifyng glass. Not coming in from the refrigerator vent. Any ideas on what to clean the fiberglass with to make the eze gutters stick good?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #9

Trailer: egg camper 2007
Quote:
The gap/void is about the size of this . period on all my windows. You may need a magnifyng glass. Not coming in from the refrigerator vent. Any ideas on what to clean the fiberglass with to make the eze gutters stick good?

Alcohol!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #10

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Anyone one else have the new generation 2 window leak on the dual pane top hinged windows? Outside, if you look sideways at the top hinge. At the top you can see where the hinge end compresses into the gasket material, there is a small void/gap/ there. Yes it's very very very small I know. And all the windows appear to have that micro small void, on each end of every top hinge. Water goes in there and comes out inside at that top location where that gasket meets the metal frame, although visually there is no defect to see. Ignore where the window glass touchest the gasket, that's fine, no leaks. But inside the trailer looking up with a flashlight, where that gasket is fitted into the metal frame, water is squeezing in between gasket and ALU frame. My two back windows do this, the over the spare tire ones. Eze gutters are my first plan of attack.

I just wondered if anyone that has this knows an better fix? The roof channels a lot of water to these two windows and no other windows are doing it. If anyone else wants to check theirs take a flashlight and look up in this area for moisture droplets squeezing out between the gasket and aluminum, they are very small, mainly where the end of that hinge would be located. You have to guess being inside looking up.
bummer....thanks for sharing the info concerning the new Gen 2 windows....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I've not noticed any water inside my windows and the trailer (and me!) has been through some really good rains lately.

I can't count the window that's been busted and has a sheet of plexiglass over it. My duct taping wasn't 100% perfect.

But, knock on wood, the rest of the windows are just fine.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:

. I have a new 5.0 TA with the new dual pane thermal windows. I did have a leak at the rear window on the 2nd day after picking up the trailer. Fortunately, I was able to return to Escape on the 4th day to have it repaired. Reace was able to determine the problem and resealed the rear window. He also ran a bead of clear silicone across the top of all the windows as a precaution. We've had lots of rain since returning home and no sign of any more leaks.
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
. I have a new 5.0 TA with the new dual pane thermal windows. I did have a leak at the rear window on the 2nd day after picking up the trailer. Fortunately, I was able to return to Escape on the 4th day to have it repaired. Reace was able to determine the problem and resealed the rear window. He also ran a bead of clear silicone across the top of all the windows as a precaution. We've had lots of rain since returning home and no sign of any more leaks.
any pictures of the silicone bead Reace installed available??
Old 05-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
any pictures of the silicone bead Reace installed available??
Hmmm, I bet it looks like a bead of silicone would. In fact, if you go look on the topside of any wall penetration in your trailer you will see what one looks like.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Hmmm, I bet it looks like a bead of silicone would. In fact, if you go look on the topside of any wall penetration in your trailer you will see what one looks like.
Hi: Jim Bennett... If its clear silly cone you can see right through it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie aka South Wet Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Yes, have the leak issue with the back window. ETI has been great in working with us to get it resolved. Reace sent new screws and gasket right away and we just received the new window from the manufacturer last week. Haven't installed it yet. Apparently a few windows were shipped defective from the manufacturer.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Silicone? Wouldn't it more likely be ProFlex?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Silicone? Wouldn't it more likely be ProFlex?
Yes, many refer to all types of caulks as silicone, which is not the right terminology. And I am guilty, as I just responded with what terminology was used. I will go sit in my corner now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes, many refer to all types of caulks as silicone, which is not the right terminology. And I am guilty, as I just responded with what terminology sad used. I will go sit in my corner now.
You can join me in mine where I am still pondering proper installation of door latches...

Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #20

I wanted to see the silicone/proflex installation on a moving window hinge vs the caulking on the fixed lights alluded to. Where the hinge stops is rubber seal and I'm not sure that is where the leak could be? Perhaps behind the hinge and was sealed?