Gfci - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Just a gentle reminder - GFCIs trip because of a leakage between the hot and a ground, or a leakage between the neutral & ground, (or rarely, between a hot & another circuit's neutral) not from overloads. The circuit breaker protecting the wiring is what will trip on an overload. GFCIs require power to reset, i.e. if both are tripped, you must first reset the circuit breaker, then reset the GFCI.

As to why the particular breaker tripped, when 2 or more breakers are in series (as in an Escape with an inverter & transfer switch) either one may trip. I've had cases where a 500 amp breaker and 200 amp breaker were in series feeding a theatre dimmer board. The 500 amp breaker was closer to the main distribution panel, however it tripped rather than the 200.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Hi Ron. Can't get the photo to load from my tablet through the campground WiFi, so I'll send tomorrow when we get home.

CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
On the last leg of our trip and, naturally, we had to encounter as least one issue. Unfortunately, my tablet won't let do a search (??) so I have to start a new thread.

I stupidly plugged in our toaster oven to the outside receptacle, not thinking about the fact our electric heater was still set to 'on' as well. As soon as the temperature dropped and the heater kicked on, the GFCI did it's job and shut down all the circuits on the line. We tried resetting the breakers, checked for a blown fuse, etc., but nothing. The outside GFCI, of course, will not reset either. Any suggestions other than waiting until we get home to call the repairman?

Jan

Thanks Jan and thanks Donna. Remembered how to reset my particular kitchen plug after reading this thread.

Mine is actually tied into the passenger exterior plug for the GFI protection reset button. Because I have no inverter?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Mine is actually tied into the passenger exterior plug for the GFI protection reset button. Because I have no inverter?
That's where it is on Ten Forward too, and I have an inverter.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
It is done that way to provide protection for your kitchen plug, which needs to be a FGCI. They could have just used one in each location, but it is cheaper and acceptable to use the first one in series as protection for the next one down the line. Sometimes in bathrooms they will protect power to the switches when they are too close to the sink and require it by going through the GFCI plug, and customers will phone me all concerned that they have no power but the breaker is still on. Once they reset the GFCI plug, all is well.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote