GFI circuit quit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
GFI circuit quit

Does anyone know how to reset the GFI circuit in a 5.0 ?

We just pulled into Armitage County Park for the night, and the outlet by the kitchen sink is dead. It is the one with the sticker about it being a GFI circuit, but I cannot find another one that has the reset button. The circuit breakers on the convertor are all on, so what now ??
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
Does anyone know how to reset the GFI circuit in a 5.0 ?

We just pulled into Armitage County Park for the night, and the outlet by the kitchen sink is dead. It is the one with the sticker about it being a GFI circuit, but I cannot find another one that has the reset button. The circuit breakers on the convertor are all on, so what now ??
On my 19, the outside outlet has the reset button.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
On my 19, the outside outlet has the reset button.
Same with a 2017 21.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
As well in my 5.0TA.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Escape wires them this way to be able to use a GFI protected circuit in the galley as per code, without actually installing one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Gfi

Thanks everyone.
Found it, fixed it.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Escape wires them this way to be able to use a GFI protected circuit in the galley as per code, without actually installing one.
I ordered an extra outlet in the kitchen below the counter between sink and cooktop. It has the GFI sticker, and discovered it is on the same circuit as the resettable GFI outdoor outlet. I can't recall if any of the standard outlets have the same sticker.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
I ordered an extra outlet in the kitchen below the counter between sink and cooktop. It has the GFI sticker, and discovered it is on the same circuit as the resettable GFI outdoor outlet. I can't recall if any of the standard outlets have the same sticker.
Pretty sure it is just the outlets in the galley area that are GFI protected through the outside plug. The rest are just normal. There are only two circuits for the plugs in the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
...Unless you also count the microwave outlet.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
That points out a minor gripe with Escape's change between my 2011 Escape 17 & my 2017 Escape 21. On the 17, they used 2 GFCI receptacles rather than chain the kitchen receptacles from the outside. The outside receptacle is the one most likely to fail due to a leak, and if the leak is because of rain, that is when you want to be inside the trailer; you don't want to go outside to reset it in order to use the kitchen.

Then there is the switch to boxless Speed Receptacles. On the good side, the boxless receptacles fit in the space between the counter & the upper cabinet doors; the framing got in the way when using a standard boxed receptacle. On the bad side, it makes them difficult to replace. Without the crimping tool designed to connect the receptacle to the wire, changing one is a bear.

As I said, a minor gripe. Both changes save Escape $, which has kept the trailer prices down despite the fact that some of the appliances, etc have to be purchased at lousy exchange rates from the US.

I'm done whining!
Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
That points out a minor gripe with Escape's change between my 2011 Escape 17 & my 2017 Escape 21. On the 17, they used 2 GFCI receptacles rather than chain the kitchen receptacles from the outside. The outside receptacle is the one most likely to fail due to a leak, and if the leak is because of rain, that is when you want to be inside the trailer; you don't want to go outside to reset it in order to use the kitchen.

Then there is the switch to boxless Speed Receptacles. On the good side, the boxless receptacles fit in the space between the counter & the upper cabinet doors; the framing got in the way when using a standard boxed receptacle. On the bad side, it makes them difficult to replace. Without the crimping tool designed to connect the receptacle to the wire, changing one is a bear.

As I said, a minor gripe. Both changes save Escape $, which has kept the trailer prices down despite the fact that some of the appliances, etc have to be purchased at lousy exchange rates from the US.

I'm done whining!
Code compliant and best trade practice are not always one and the same but I am sure you are aware of that fact.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Yes Jon they can be a pain years ago when I built mobile home that what we used. Easiest way to crimp them without the tool is to get two short pieces of 1x2 and use channel locks and squeeze the receptacle together. Works perfectly. That how the service guys in the field did it.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote