Good fit for 4? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #1

Good fit for 4?

We are looking into buying the 17' plan B and am wondering if this is a good buy for a family of 4. We have a 3 year old and a 6 month old and plan for this to be our only trailer buy as we only have a Toyota Highlander. I believe the 19' is too big for our SUV but unsure and will be looking into this further.
Thanks
wantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: Good fit for 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone
We are looking into buying the 17' plan B and am wondering if this is a good buy for a family of 4. We have a 3 year old and a 6 month old and plan for this to be our only trailer buy as we only have a Toyota Highlander. Thanks
Heh Wantone,
If your plan is that "this is the only trailer we'll buy", I'd share with you that our 3 year old, and 6 month old, are now 38 and 36 with 10 1/3 children between them. Those years between 3yr and 6 months, and the age when they left home, was like a "mist, a vapor". And during those years, those little bodies grew to where they wouldn't have fit in the 17B any longer, but the 19's bigger beds would have allowed continued memories to have been made with "only one trailer" purchase.
Just an observation from someone who's looking forward NEXT weekend, to having 3 of our granddaughters camping with us in our 5.0.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #3

Sorry, I don't really mean forever just I guess I just want something that will last us for a while. I just don't want to assume it will be comfortable for 4 then get in it to realize that it just doesn't work. We just can't afford to buy a truck and trailer and the highlander is the vehicle we have now it is rated to tow 3500lbs, we'd love the 19' but we are unsure if our SUV can handle it once it's full. We have never had a trailer so I ask another question. How much weight does the average family pack into a trailer for a week trip? Is it best to travel with or with out water in the tank? Any other info or advise for the new trailer camper would be greatly appreciated.
wantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

My experience is that about the age of ten the kids want a tent pitched next to the trailer as their own space and for you to leave the trailer door unlocked for a sense of security.

You would want the gaucho bunk, but make a bed for the six-month-old on the floor until the 3-year-old is big enough to climb up into the gaucho ( and down ). You need to order the gaucho before the trailer is built because it requires blocking in the walls.

A lot depends on your camping style. We spend most of our time outside. That's where we cook and eat and play. The trailer is just a comfortable, warm place to sleep and avoids the hassle of packing up stuff every time you move.

If the 17B isn't big enough, I don't think the 19 will solve your problem.

baglo

Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

My experience is that about the age of ten the kids want a tent pitched next to the trailer as their own space and for you to leave the trailer door unlocked for a sense of security.

You would want the gaucho bunk, but make a bed for the six-month-old on the floor until the 3-year-old is big enough to climb up into the gaucho ( and down ). You need to order the gaucho before the trailer is built because it requires blocking in the walls.

A lot depends on your camping style. We spend most of our time outside. That's where we cook and eat and play. The trailer is just a comfortable, warm place to sleep and avoids the hassle of packing up stuff every time you move.

If the 17B isn't big enough, I don't think the 19 will solve your problem.

baglo

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho

I just hitched up our 17 footer for the four of us to go camping. The kids are now 7 and 8 and the trailer is great. It's not for sitting inside all day but it is good for what we need, a secure place to sleep and all the comforts of home This bunk rail is still working great. http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=19.0

If it is just me and the kids, they sleep on the top bunk and I on the bottom so the big table stays up.

Here is a link on fiberglass family camping http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...dly+floorplans
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

With a 3,500 lb towing capacity you would really be pushing it with the 19 all loaded up. What is the dry weight of the 17B, is it a lot less then the 2510 lbs of the 19?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #8

Loaded up is right, Jim. Especially when Wantone is packing for four. But the 17' is 600 pounds lighter than the 19'.

Reace and Tammy were camping with their two daughters in the 13' unit at Fort Langley. A daughter described the situation as "squishy," but she indicated that 17' was okay.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 17

a common rule of thumb, in a lot of RV forums say add a thousand pounds to the unloaded weight rating. That adds rv battery, propane, water, camping gear, food. To make it easier some advise to just plan for the GVWR.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #10

We bought a 17' plan B just over a year ago and love it!!! My wife and I have two daughters, 9 and 13, and we camp often. Last summer was a 5 week 8000km trip through the western states, this summer is another 5 week trip to mainly southern Utah with many weekends throughout the year dry camping outside of Hope riding dirtbikes. The 17 is perfect for us.

The interior and exterior showers also help keep everyone happy!!!

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #11

Hello.

I think the 17" works great for a family of 4.

We have a 17' Plan A. Two children - now 4 and 9. Works great and we tow it behind a loaded (with stuff) 2000 4Runner V6 - and, we pass other vehicles.

When our second child was born I slept in the trailer in the backyard because he was a noisey child and I needed the sleep for work. When we vacationed with him at age one, I slept beside the older one at one end while my wife nursed the youngest at the other end. Now the kids sleep at one end and we adults sleep at the other. Sometimes its musical beds.... Plenty of space and it tows easily although last year we invested in an equalizing hitch to stop the porpoising that sometimes occured while on bumpy roads. Its truely been our trailer for life.

Our biggest problem with the growing kids has been how to carry all the bikes, kites, soccer balls, lego, snorkels,...and enough milk.

Calvino is offline   Reply With Quote