Grey water smell? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #21
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
Grey Tank Odor

Noticed a bad smell from the kitchen sink occasionally on the last trip. What is happening is this: if I pour the dishpan water too fast in the sink, it makes a loud sucking sound as the sink empties. It is suctioning the water out of the trap and the odor comes into the trailer. If I pour the water slowly, that doesn't happen.

Before I go out on a trip again, I plan to fill the grey water tank and add bleach as I would in the freshwater tank when I sanitize. Is that okay to do? Any reason bleach would harm the grey tank? How much bleach should I add to a 28 gallon tank?
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
No, it wont harm it. The usual ratio is 1/4 cup of bleach to 1 gal of water. You could probably make it stronger, but there's really no need.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You're correct. The water is being "sucked" out of the trap because it is an "S" trap, not a "P" trap. In residential plumbing an "S" trap isn't permitted for exactly the same reason. If it's empty of water then there's nothing to prevent sewer gases from escaping.

Several of us, in doing other mods have eliminated the "S" by creating a horizontal waste arm and therefore creating a "P" trap.

It's not a major problem in normal use but dumping a lot of water into the sink fast makes the emptying of the trap more likely.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #24
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
It took a while to figure out what was happening because we didn't smell it every time I washed dishes. Then I remembered hearing something about the suctioning years ago, so we experimented and sure enough, that was the problem. I know now to pour water more slowly, but with the strength of the smell, I thought sanitizing occasionally couldn't hurt. Then I read that bleach is harmful to seals, so I thought I should check with you guys before I do anything.
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The same treatment used in your black tank can be safely used in grey tank. I use Odorloss.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The same treatment used in your black tank can be safely used in grey tank. I use Odorloss.
I tried these last time and seemed to work very well too. Elemonate

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Of course there is always Coca Cola, which also works to remove silicon, black streaks and bugs and tar. Works best with rum.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You're correct. The water is being "sucked" out of the trap because it is an "S" trap, not a "P" trap. In residential plumbing an "S" trap isn't permitted for exactly the same reason. If it's empty of water then there's nothing to prevent sewer gases from escaping.

Ron
If it's like my sink, it doesn't have a vent either. That is another required item to prevent the trap from sucking out

It should look like the pic below - it doesn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Air admittance valve for P-trap.jpg  
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
A Hepvo valve will fix the odor problem and no need for extra chemicals.
The attached links explains the trap issue you have and the Hepvo valve operation with no extra venting required.
http://hepvo.com/wp-content/uploads/...sign-Guide.pdf
Note 1: Do not order Hepvo valve from Amazon some 1 1/2" valves are being shipped without the input adapters.
Note 2: Lube all black rubber seals with plumbers silicone to prevent leaks.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

It should look like the pic below - it doesn't.
Yup, that works but just to be clear, depending on where you live, don't use it in a home renovation that's going to be inspected. Around here we call them "cheater vents".

Ron
Old 09-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, that works but just to be clear, depending on where you live, don't use it in a home renovation that's going to be inspected. Around here we call them "cheater vents".

Ron
In many states of the USA they are acceptable according to code when servicing single sink or toilet installations, but not on multiple drains. Saved me a lot of grief when remodeling a 1902 house.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
In many states of the USA they are acceptable according to code when servicing single sink or toilet installations, but not on multiple drains. Saved me a lot of grief when remodeling a 1902 house.
Yup, some jurisdictions allow them, some don't. But I know they're in widespread use even in jurisdictions that don't allow them. Most homeowner reno's don't get inspected.

In the photo shown with the vent there is a major difference to the trailer situation. The sink drain is an "S". The vent shown is used with a waste arm which does a lot to break the "slug" of water that creates the vacuum that pulls out the water from the trap. In my case I modified the pipe route and I have a waste arm and the situation is a non-issue.

Ron
Old 09-07-2017, 05:19 AM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We use a 1/2 dose of whatever chemical we're using at the time. Don't know if I have room for a Hepvo valve as we have a double sink. So far it hasn't bothered me enough to look into it.