Halo view Backup Camers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 , 2018
Halo view Backup Camers

New to rv'ing and would like to install aHaloview backup camera on my Escape 19 (2018).
Two questions:
How to pop lights in back to get to wire?
How to drill fiberglass safely so gel coat doesn't spider all over.
Second time posting this thread not sure it ever found its way to the forum

Thanks for the help!
JackHackle
Jackhackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The wires for the lights run up inside each corner in the 19 there ia a corner cover, once it is removed you can see feel the wires underneath. Depending on hole size, i used drills and round hole saws on flat surfaces, never on a corner or edge.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Regarding drilling holes in fiberglass, I followed these recommendations as a nervous newbie and it has worked so far:

- Tape the target area with masking tape
- drill the center hole with the hole saw guide bit
- run the hole saw backwards to make a groove in the fiberglass
- run the hole saw forwards to cut the hole.

I've done this twice successfully. Both holes were about an inch in diameter more or less, and both were on flat surfaces.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #4

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Back up camera

We put a back up camera inside used heavy duty Velcro to aim it at back window it’s wireless so just plug in screen in lighter socket and you have a clear view of what’s behind you
No camera in the elements and not worrying about a cover or tarp over your e21
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
I also use a camera mounted inside our 21, looking out the rear window, however mine is a Sony action camera. A Go Pro would work great also. Both have a app that works with your phone or tablet on its own Bluetooth or wifi network, one less piece of equipment on your dash! I also saw a neat backup camera at Costco that is solar powered and mounts around the license plate. https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8%22...100504814.html
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
Will the license plate back-up camera work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
I also use a camera mounted inside our 21, looking out the rear window, however mine is a Sony action camera. A Go Pro would work great also. Both have a app that works with your phone or tablet on its own Bluetooth or wifi network, one less piece of equipment on your dash! I also saw a neat backup camera at Costco that is solar powered and mounts around the license plate. https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8%22...100504814.html
I've looked at the license plate backup cameras - but wondered if they'll give us the view we want. Isn't the license plate mounted on the driver's side, to the side of the spare tire? Will the spare block part of the view? We don't have our trailer yet, so I can't go look.
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Before you buy a camera, if you're not going to install it yourself, check out what it will cost for a shop to do it for you.
I was given a backup camera for my RAV4. It cost about $150. After reading instructions and realizing that I had to remove the upholstered panel at the hatch to wire it for power, I inquired at a shop. They advised against wireless cameras ( picture quality at the time ) and told me it would cost $600 for the install.

Personally, I don't need or want a camera at the rear of the trailer. I have towing mirrors that fulfill legal requirements ( a camera won't ).
Old 12-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #8

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukwilma View Post
I've looked at the license plate backup cameras - but wondered if they'll give us the view we want. Isn't the license plate mounted on the driver's side, to the side of the spare tire? Will the spare block part of the view? We don't have our trailer yet, so I can't go look.
Most of the cameras have a wide field of view, I would doubt that the camera being shifted to the left would make a ton of difference. On both my current Escape and previous Casita I pointed my camera out of the left rear window, as the middle on both has a window support bar.

I don't use the camera to back into spots, I use it to monitor traffic behind me tailgating and the rear bike rack. Something that would not be possible with my trucks factory installed mirrors.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Installing one on an Airsteam...
Interesting about the picture lag to the monitor.

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I installed a Peak wireless backup camera I bought on ebay. It worked well. It is a license plate camera but i modified the bracket and mounted it above the rear window on my then 19. It is wired into the running lights (the yellow ones) so when these lights are on, the camera is on. It transmits to a small screen in the drivers area.

It took two small holes for the SS mounting sheet metal screws and one small hole into the back storage area to run the power wires.
Attached Images