Handy facts and tips - please help! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2010, 01:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Handy facts and tips - please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
As for chaining significant others to picnic tables and making a run for it..well then gun it!
Thank you for your support in this Jeff, Lisa will appreciate it.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Inexpensive Blue Tote

hummm, I seemed to have put a damper on this idea, and that was NOT my intent... truly. To make up for that error, let me add this PDF. I do have permission from George. AND, I know this is a great thing to make, I have one and use it about every other trip out when I don't care to wait at a dump station. I just come on home and dump liquids from the tanks down the home toilet. SOME of the items needed may have changed numbers... but you get the idea.

BTW: Magnificient Modifications and Fabulous Fixes for Molded Fiberglass has been trademarked by me for the book I was intending to produce and I still may get around to it!

For those that cruise the CasitaForum, here is a link to a improvement which allows you to use your regular sewer hose, rather than needing to make another. http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...ndpost&p=32452
Attached Files
File Type: pdf InexpensiveBlueTote.pdf (166.4 KB, 103 views)

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #13

Donna, can you save and paste that PDF here. You need to be registered on the Casita site to view it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Posted by Triton (this is the important stuff)... I suppose I should change my original PDF :

On the mod the way it was you have to make a new hose because you end up with the same end on the blue jug as the end of your drain hose. I only wanted to carry one hose, so I made this change.

At Wal-Mart bought the blue jug $7.48 and epoxy for plastic $3.77.
At Camping world bought Drip cap set $4.49 (Valterra part# T0203)and Hose adapter $3.49 (Camping World #6380)

Total cost: $19.23 (4 items)

The drip cap set gives you a cap that as the 2 barbs that will fit on to the ears of the fitting you epoxy to the blue jug.

Jim, you saw where I posted the original PDF in my post, right?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Jim, you saw where I posted the original PDF in my post, right?
No, but I do now.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #16

Donna;
You didn't dampen my spirits a bit. Several members have contacted me with resources, etc. In addition, I've engaged in a fairly lengthy discussion regarding copyright issues with another member. Based upon those discussions, I have no qualms about proceeding, as the information I am gathering is less directed to specific mods and fixes, and more directed to common knowledge and openly published information. I just want a list of useful information available to our Escape members and myself.

Work proceeds.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

Here are my suggestions for finding & fixing a trailer that trips a home or campground GFCI receptacle:

Although some may doubt it, the bottom line is that it should be possible to plug your trailer into a GFCI protected receptacle without tripping it. If it trips, something is wrong, and it should be corrected. I know there are those that will give all kinds of reasons why it is OK, but it isn't.

If the fault is between a hot & the ground, it is fairly easy to find. Shut off all your secondary breakers, plug the trailer into a GFCI receptacle & turn on the circuit breakers one at a time. If one of the breakers causes a trip of the GFCI, you have found the circuit causing the problem. Typical faults include moisture in a receptacle, a bad hot water or refer element, a bad appliance, or a loose connection (although a loose connection that causes a low resistance hot/ground fault should trip the breaker rather than the GFCI). If the problem circuit has individual appliances plugged into it, unplug all of them & plug them back in one at a time to identify the problem appliance.

If the campground GFCI trips with all the breakers off, you have a neutral/ground fault.

A neutral/ground fault is a bit more of a problem because shutting of the breakers won't prevent the GFCI from tripping, making it more difficult to find the problem. If your or anyone else has modified circuits in the RV, it is worth checking that the neutral & ground have not been intentionally combined anywhere in the RV. The only place the neutral should be tied to the ground is at the campground's service entrance. If you tie it in the trailer, the campground (or home) GFCI will trip.

Ground/neutral faults can also happen unintentionally. Again, a failed hot water heater or refer element can cause a fault as well as water in a receptacle, a screw hitting a wire, etc. The problem is a trailer will function normally with a neutral/ground fault when plugged into a non-GFCI receptacle. This may be why some feel there is nothing wrong. In a worst case situation, if the RV ground pin (or any part of the grounding system, RV or campground) fails, a neutral/ground fault will place the chassis & most metal in the RV at the neutral potential. This produces a shock hazard to any real ground such as the campground water pipe, the RV parked next to you, etc. It also causes another interesting problem - The neutral current is split between the neutral & the ground. Again, with a failed RV ground, you might receive a shock disconnecting your water line from the campground faucet! In the case of two faults - a reversed hot & neutral and a missing ground, most of the metal in your trailer would be at full line potential (120V).

Finding a ground/neutral fault involves digging into your breaker panel. If you are not comfortable doing this, leave it for an electrician. If you want to do it yourself, unplug the trailer, make sure an inverter or generator is not powering the panel, and shut off all the breakers, including the main. Disconnect the neutrals (white wires) one at a time (don't include the main). With a neutral disconnected and all the breakers off, plug the trailer into a GFCI receptacle. If it trips, the problem is not that neutral. Reconnect it, & try another. Eventually,you will find the neutral that, when disconnected, prevents the GFCI from tripping. Follow that neutral to identify the circuit, and check the circuit for the problem.

Again, all of this may be more than a non-electrician wants to get into, but I don't know a better way to find the problem.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #18

Thank you. With your permission (and I will attribute the text to you) I will include your fix in our little guide book.

Dave
Old 10-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #19

Regarding using other peoples' ideas, the test for copyright violation (unless they've changed it recently) is "slavish copying." What this means is that the idea(s) expressed in the copyrighted material are not protected; it is the manner of expressing the idea that is protected. That is to say, you do not violate someone's copyright if you repeat in your own words the idea(s) presented in that copyrighted material.
PaulA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #20

Thanks Paul;
That was what I took away from a bit of reading on copyright law (thanks to all for the references and opinions). I'm chugging away at some initial stuff, but the progress has slowed a bit as this is my busy season at work and my fingers are flying away at work-related materials. While I am, of course, slavish devoted to high-fashion, I refrain from plagiarism.

Dave