Hard water spots! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Hard water spots!

GRRRRR.... Our Escape is parked partially on a driveway and close to the neighbor's wall (we all live pretty close together here) and she refuses to turn her sprinklers down and they not only soak our trailer, but half of the driveway. The water isn't just coming over the wall, it's on so high that it's coming 15 feet past the property line (the wall). This has left hard water deposits on our beautiful Escape - I know one can use a vinegar water solution to get hard water deposits off of windows, but would this damage the finish of the trailer? Does anyone have any great solutions? We're going to have to buy a cover, but will that keep the water deposits off? Thanks!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
California is in a drought. Report her to your water bureau Okay, now that I got that off my chest.

Vinegar won't hurt the gelcoat. I'd use white vinegar though. Cider or red wine may leave a bit of a stain.... maybe.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
California is in a drought. Report her to your water bureau Okay, now that I got that off my chest.

Vinegar won't hurt the gelcoat. I'd use white vinegar though. Cider or red wine may leave a bit of a stain.... maybe.
I know!!! I wasn't going to rant on about her wasting water, but I thought about it! We got her landlords name and number so are going to call him first to see if we can handle this somewhat nicely. Nice with her didn't work - both Lori and I have talked with her very nicely about the issue and she could care less. Sigh.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Probably constrained by zoning laws, but you could put up a big ugly (on her side) fence. Worked for me with a neighbor who sued me over his view across my property (been in a 1902 house for 30 years, he's a newbie in a McMansion.) I won in court, put up a 240 ft long 8 ft high junkyard style galvanized metal roofing fence. No more view, period.

Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
After a certain point hard water spots will not come off glass. If it was me I would cover the trailer or at least that side.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
After a certain point hard water spots will not come off glass. If it was me I would cover the trailer or at least that side.
Right, it actually etches the glass. I love those dishwashing soap ads that talk about removing hardwater "stains." Most often, they're not stains at all at that point...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #7

I like the idea of an ugly fence! However, they are renters and that might be an expensive solution to a hopefully short term issue. She has said that they will be looking to purchase a home in the not too distant future (soon, I hope!).
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
I like the idea of an ugly fence! However, they are renters and that might be an expensive solution to a hopefully short term issue. She has said that they will be looking to purchase a home in the not too distant future (soon, I hope!).
Hi: JaneM... Other than you'd have to look at it too. Put up some T bar posts and along side the trailer some cheap blue/green Tarps. Some protection is better than none!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
You can always get hard water stains off glass by rubbing/buffing with cerium oxide, it is used to polish glass.

Doug (ex glazier)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I've used this on water spots with excellent results:

A-MAZ Water Stain Remover | Biodegradable, Non-toxic, Eco-friendly & Safe.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Lori has also decided that she's going to water my mother's front yard for her (we keep our trailer at her house as we live on a hill and our driveway isn't usable for parking a trailer) and accidentally spray their new car with water. ;-)