Headliner Separation and Sagging - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Headliner Separation and Sagging

My headliner is separating from the roof in the front of my 2012 Escape 19". It is sagging down across the front about 4-5 inches. I have been traveling betwwen extremely hot conditions to cool this summer. Perhaps that caused the foam or adhesive to break down? Does any one have a method to reattach by injecting adhesive under the headliner (preferred), or reattaching with capped screws? Cant find a thread that addresses this problem. Thanks!
jvanbavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If it were me I would visit a good auto upholsterer for advice.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Or ETI.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 19'
does it feel like there might be water up there? It doesn't take much, it can get hot and the humid air creates a slight pressure. or do you think it's just the weight of the vinyl and reflectix?.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This seperation is VERY common with all molded towables, of any age. Just read the archives on FiberglassRV. OH my stars.

There's lots of folks asking about attaching "stuff" to the walls and then I READ where folks need to reattach the headliner.

THIS is NOT your sticks and bricks home. IMHO do NOT try to attach anything to the vinyl wall covering. Some time down the line, you'll be asking "how do I reattach the vinyl."

If and when the time comes for Ten Forward, I'll use whatever an automotive mechanic suggests for reattaching a headliner or vinyl roof... those folks are used to dealing with heat... or temperature swings.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This is a common issue in older moulded fiberglass trailers, which commonly have a glued-on foam-backed liner. If you try to follow suggestions from others with a similar issue, watch out for different kinds of liner: the Escape liner has a relatively lightweight soft foam, but many older trailers (particularly Bolers and Trilliums) have a material called Ensolite with a very dense (closed cell) rubber foam. I suspect the best adhesive for Ensolite is not the best for the Escape's headliner.

I would want to check if the headliner has come away from the Reflectix (the insulation), or both have come away from the fiberglass, or there's no Reflectix.

My Boler has a similar foam liner (with no other insulation under it). I used a 3M spray adhesive to re-attach some it it after peeling it out of the way for a MaxxFan installation. There are multiple aerosol spray adhesives from 3M, all can be a bit nasty (fumes), and people have varying results with them. Sorry, I realize that isn't terribly useful...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Foam gets hard and crusty. Nature of the beast (petroluem products). There are lots of solutions available. It really does depend on your level of comfort and ability....
Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanbavel View Post
My headliner is separating from the roof in the front of my 2012 Escape 19". It is sagging down across the front about 4-5 inches. I have been traveling betwwen extremely hot conditions to cool this summer. Perhaps that caused the foam or adhesive to break down? Does any one have a method to reattach by injecting adhesive under the headliner (preferred), or reattaching with capped screws? Cant find a thread that addresses this problem. Thanks!
The only definite answer is capped screws aren't the way to go. If there was a core that would feasible.

I looked at how my headliner was installed. It appears to extend from cabinet to cabinet but not into the cabinet. I guess if I had the same problem I would remove the cabinets, they're only screwed in and expose the headliner edges. I'd then gently peel it back and spray adhesive it, and put it back.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
This seperation is VERY common with all molded towables, of any age
Foam gets hard and crusty. Nature of the beast (petroluem products). There are lots of solutions available. It really does depend on your level of comfort and ability....
Within two years ?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #10

If the problem area is up front in the central area and you don't have a dinette light you could kill two birds with one stone. Install a dinette light as several of us have and get direct access to the problem area.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
12-11-2014 9-24-07 AM2_resize.jpg  
Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Thank you all for your replies. Ron, the dinette light idea sounds like a great way to "kill two birds with one stone." That is the exact area that has separated and is hanging down. Any posts that show how you did this? What adhesive did you use to reattach the liner once you installed light? I am pretty sure the vinyl liner has separated from the Refeltix insulation which has remained in place.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #12

Yes, the dinette light was a great addition. Thanks to others posting their installation I realized that it could be done. Never understood why there was a double fixture over the bed but none over the table.

The headliner and reflectix was cut out completely and a 1/2" piece of plywood, the size of the light fixture, was epoxied directly to the f.g. The headliner didn't come loose during this process. If it had I'd have masked off the surrounding area and sprayed spray adhesive into the opening and pushed it back up.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
12-11-2014 3-04-20 PM1_resize.jpg   12-11-2014 3-24-26 PM3_resize.jpg  
Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, the dinette light was a great addition. Thanks to others posting their installation I realized that it could be done. Never understood why there was a double fixture over the bed but none over the table.

The headliner and reflectix was cut out completely and a 1/2" piece of plywood, the size of the light fixture, was epoxied directly to the f.g. The headliner didn't come loose during this process. If it had I'd have masked off the surrounding area and sprayed spray adhesive into the opening and pushed it back up.

Ron
Ron it looks good but I was wondering, how did you get power to the lights?
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Remove trim ring from fan and use its' power supply. The led's are very low power users so that's OK to do. I pushed a stiff wire, like coat wire, through under the reflectix to the opening. I then taped the power wires to it and pulled it through.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
12-11-2014 3-24-24 PM2_resize.jpg  
Old 07-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanbavel View Post
I would definitely give Reace a call to see what would work best.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Good to know thanks
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This seperation is VERY common with all molded towables, of any age. Just read the archives on FiberglassRV. OH my stars.

There's lots of folks asking about attaching "stuff" to the walls and then I READ where folks need to reattach the headliner.

THIS is NOT your sticks and bricks home. IMHO do NOT try to attach anything to the vinyl wall covering. Some time down the line, you'll be asking "how do I reattach the vinyl."

If and when the time comes for Ten Forward, I'll use whatever an automotive mechanic suggests for reattaching a headliner or vinyl roof... those folks are used to dealing with heat... or temperature swings.
Sounds like this is just another of those problems we should expect with our Trailers. Have you seen any tricks to keep it from happening or is it just 'the nature of the beast?'

Have you seen any good solutions to glue it back up on the other boards?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Sounds like this is just another of those problems we should expect with our Trailers. Have you seen any tricks to keep it from happening or is it just 'the nature of the beast?'

Have you seen any good solutions to glue it back up on the other boards?
Mel, you shouldn't have any problems unless you use the vinyl wall covering like the plasterboard in your home. There's plenty of cabinetry. Hang stuff there.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #19

Further info on headliner separation.

I took another look today at the headliner and it is seperating and sagging throughout the length of the trailer ceiling. Mostly at the front over the dinette but also along the "ridge"s on the sides towards rhe back. When I push up the sagging liner a can feel the crinkly Reflextec insulation material as well, so I think the vinyl liner AND the insulation has separated from the ceiling. I have not been attaching anything to the vinyl liner to have started this separtion process. My trailer sits in the 100 degree sunlight most of the Summer here in Texas. Very hard on any kind of paint or adhesives I'm sure. I will try to contact Reece to see what he recommends as to reattaching the headliner, what adhesive to use and how to apply it.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #20

Food for thought, Hot Rod folks have metal roofs which probably transfer more heat then 1/8" of fiberglass? If it works for them it should work on the trailer?

Best aerosol spray adhesive? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Good idea to check with Reace and please let us know what you find out.