heat - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Has anyone replaced the Escape factory heat / cool thermostat with a different more user friendly / reliable thermostat .The display screen on our current factory thermostat is almost impossible to read and it also does not seem to hold the programmed settings
I would gladly pay for a new thermostat just to avoid the frustration and irritation of using the current
thermostat
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Which model thermostat do you have currently Steve?
Old 12-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Has anyone replaced the Escape factory heat / cool thermostat with a different more user friendly / reliable thermostat .The display screen on our current factory thermostat is almost impossible to read and it also does not seem to hold the programmed settings
I would gladly pay for a new thermostat just to avoid the frustration and irritation of using the current
thermostat
I replaced the CT thermostat with a bluetooth CT thermostat. I has been working great and the ability to change setting remote comes in handy.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #24

Thanks Tom ; I was thinking more along the lines of a simple mechanical thermostat
We have bluetooth on our phone , my truck and my wife’s vehicle and have never used it .
In fact I have no desire or ambition to ever understand or use it mainly because it doesn’t offer any advantages for me and my lifestyle

I am old school and going digital for the sake of going digital / electronic doesn’t hold much appeal
Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Thanks Tom ; I was thinking more along the lines of a simple mechanical thermostat
We have bluetooth on our phone , my truck and my wife’s vehicle and have never used it .
In fact I have no desire or ambition to ever understand or use it mainly because it doesn’t offer any advantages for me and my lifestyle

I am old school and going digital for the sake of going digital / electronic doesn’t hold much appeal
Changing the Dometic A/C to a mechanical thermostat is a major undertaking as most of the control circuitry in the A/C would have to be changed.

I would have to be very unhappy with the current thermostat to go to that much trouble and expense.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
I remember that somewhere here, someone replaced the mechanical one with a battery powered digital one that was backlit and they attached it to a big old gate hinge so they could rotate it out to where they could read it better.

I've always thought that was a smart way of doing it.

Maybe someone can point us to that posting...
Old 12-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I replaced my mechanical thermostat with a digital one because the loud click of the mechanical one woke me repeatedly during the night. There is still a soft click, but I can live with that.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #28

After reading several post in this thread I decided to contact Dometic
This morning I got an E-Mail stating they were going to send me a new thermostat at no charge .
It’s worth a try cause the new thermostat can’t be any worse than the old one ..
I can figure out the programming if the face plate display is actually legible
Still not convinced that everything needs to be electronic or have a display screen full of flashing lights or make strange noises . Appeals to my Grandkids but not me .
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The problem with the mechanical thermostats is the dang spring. SPROONG!! And you might be awakened in the middle of the night. I know the thermostat in my Scamp is ridiculously loud. Digital works silently.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I found the temp swing with the mechanical to be too wide, it was something lie 6 degrees +/- as opposed to 2 or 1 for the digital, but it was simple to use.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Original analog factory thermostat was such a pain. This one is so simple, easy, effective. Wishing only for a larger display window. (No heat strip in my AC.)
Attached Thumbnails
Thermo4.jpg  
Old 12-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
here is the link to a thermostat on a hinge so you can read it better.
Scroll to post #253
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/modifications-to-eggscape-12918-13.html#post282639
Old 12-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I found the temp swing with the mechanical to be too wide, it was something lie 6 degrees +/- as opposed to 2 or 1 for the digital, but it was simple to use.
Yes the mechanical was way off as Bob said . It also hurt my fingers to turn on and off . The digital like Myron’s is a big improvement . It is very simple to use on and off , up or down , that’s it . It’s also lighted when you use and tells you the temp . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
here is the link to a thermostat on a hinge so you can read it better.
Scroll to post #253
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/modifications-to-eggscape-12918-13.html#post282639
I just lean on bed and very easy to change and see . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
After reading several post in this thread I decided to contact Dometic
This morning I got an E-Mail stating they were going to send me a new thermostat at no charge .
It’s worth a try cause the new thermostat can’t be any worse than the old one ..
I can figure out the programming if the face plate display is actually legible
Still not convinced that everything needs to be electronic or have a display screen full of flashing lights or make strange noises . Appeals to my Grandkids but not me .
It must be a problem with the thermostat if it does not work correctly following Reace's video tutorial, as mine or others I am closely aware of have not had a problem. Keeping it on auto, and setting it to any temp either A/C or heat has worked fine.

While I enjoy using bluetooth for many functions, I do not really want it to be part of my trailer setup for the most part unless it provides a great improvement. Unless I missed something the bluetooth Dometic thermostat does exactly the same as the existing one.

We rarely use the A/C, and heat is either 14°C at night sleeping, or 18°C when inside morning or evening.

But, we all have our quirky ways, I know I have many.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It must be a problem with the thermostat if it does not work correctly following Reace's video tutorial, as mine or others I am closely aware of have not had a problem. Keeping it on auto, and setting it to any temp either A/C or heat has worked fine.

While I enjoy using bluetooth for many functions, I do not really want it to be part of my trailer setup for the most part unless it provides a great improvement. Unless I missed something the bluetooth Dometic thermostat does exactly the same as the existing one.

We rarely use the A/C, and heat is either 14°C at night sleeping, or 18°C when inside morning or evening.

But, we all have our quirky ways, I know I have many.
All I know is ;

1) The display screen on my thermostat is almost impossible to read
If I darken my trailer and shine a flashlight at a certain angle at the thermostat it is almost legible.. This makes it almost impossible to program

2) Before bed we set the thermostat for heat , the fan to automatic and the set point above ambient temperature and everything works fine until in the middle of the night when we are awakened by the sounds of the furnace and A/C fighting each other .
IE ; The Thermostat has lost its programmed settings !!
The has happened on numerous occasions both day and night

3) The heating / cooling system in our trailer has not worked properly since day ONE
Whether the system works well for others has no bearing on my situation
Beyond that statement I will keep my opinion of the Escape heating / cooling system to myself !!

Our home is heated with wood , may not be very sophisticated but it works and it works predictably and consistently well . Much more than I can say about the heating system in our trailer
Old 12-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The 1st time my A/C comes on it will not shutoff, feels like a freezer if I don't catch it. Shutting it off at the thermostat, waiting for it to cycle down, then starting it back up, clears it and it works fine till next time. I've been thinking of replacing the thermostat to see if it'd fix it but haven't gotten around to it yet with it being an easy temporary fix.

If the new thermostat fixes Steve's problem maybe I'll try it for mine.