Heated Tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #1

Trailer: None
Heated Tanks

We’ve decide on our model, the 19 foot. IF we can’t locate a newer used unit we will order before the 2019 prices expire.

We will use this trailer largely in the winter months, mostly down south and out west. Temps can get very cold in those areas in the winter. My husband will also use it for winter elk hunting trips in the Idaho mountains.

We’re looking for feedback on the heated tanks. It is an option we want. Please tell us when you use it. Are they effective? How much “juice” do they use, etc.?

We also notice that very few used models for sale have the heated tanks as an option.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

David and Carol V.
iamcmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have the heated tanks on my Escape . The heating pads are 12VDC and even with dual batteries and solar you will soon deplete the trailer’s batteries
I have hunted deer , elk , moose and antelope in Montana , Wyoming , New Mexico and the BWCA of Northern Minnesota . I would plan on not using your onboard water system while hunting . Bring a generator and use the power to charge your trailer battery .
I would be more concerned about having power to run the furnace and lights .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I skipped the heated tanks for two reasons. First, the above mentioned drain on the batteries. A generator or hookup would be necessary to offset the power used. Second, there are other pieces of plumbing that still might freeze even if the tanks are heated.

For fall camping - when the temperature goes above freezing in the daytime - I rely on RV antifreeze in the grey and black tank to keep them usable. For the fresh water tank I rely on keeping the cabin nice and toasty. And for the plumbing lines that cross from left to right on my E'21, I have - installed by Escape - some low wattage 12V heat tape - that I have never actually used.

For mid-winter in Idaho - personally, I would stay home and read about it on Facebook.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I doubt that too many Escapes were ever manufactured with the heated tanks. When we bought our 19', I wanted to include the heated tank option but Reace talked me out of it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the option in my first 19 and dropped in on my last 3 Escapes. It requires you having power in order to operate. But if you have power then your on board furnace and or auxiliary electric heat will keep your Escape warm enough that your tanks should not freeze. If you plan on leaving your Escape then winterizing with antifreeze will eliminate any freezing issues. The foam underneath though is recommended as is the extra insulation and thermal windows.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #6

Great info. Thank you.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #7

Thanks Alan.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Wink

I am happy to see this discussion because I have been going to ask how the tank heaters work. I have looked through all the information that came with our 2016 2nd Gen. E-19 (bought very slightly used) and do not find anything about it. All I can find is the fuse location. Is the unit set to turn on automatically at or near the freezing point (32-F/0-C)? Does anyone know the amperage draw? Or the model and manufacture so I can get some more information?

I suspect that it would best to have 120 volt power because the heater fan and tank heaters would likely drain the batteries over night. Or just pull the fuze...

Thanks!
Randy
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

Yes, once you turn on the switch, the pads come on at 30 degrees and off at 40 degrees, automatically. There is a switch under the bed by the pump, looks like the silver disconnect switch under the front dinette.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, once you turn on the switch, the pads come on at 30 degrees and off at 40 degrees, automatically. There is a switch under the bed by the pump, looks like the silver disconnect switch under the front dinette.

Thank you. This is helpful. I'll get a light and find the switch in the am.
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Here's what we learned spending the winters of 2015 and 2015 in Victor Idaho in our 17B.
1. We winterized our trailer by the usual manner.
2. Converted the toilet into a port-a-potty by sealing the toilet and then using products like this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-...&wl0=&wl1=g&wl
We place used bags in a sealed 5 gallon bucket that lives in the truck. Toss it in a dumpster on occasion.
3. Water supply is from a 5 gallon jug in the truck used to supply a 2.5 gallon container with a spigot that lives by the sink. We do dishes with probably a quart of water in a large bowl placed in the sink. Dishwater is dumped into a 2.5 gallon container designed for oil changes that we dumb in a toilet somewhere as needed.
We were at a campground which allowed us to use their showers. If you don't have that option join a health club and use their showers as needed.

We have heated tanks but find them to be unhelpful as the dump valves are outside the heated space. Even if you keep the contents of the tanks liquid, they will be trapped behind the frozen valves.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Switch Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim, do you know the location of the switch on the 21?
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We have heated tanks but find them to be unhelpful as the dump valves are outside the heated space. Even if you keep the contents of the tanks liquid, they will be trapped behind the frozen valves.
I'm trying to determine problem areas if I skip winterizing this year. I have the heated tanks, do not have an outside shower, and am wondering if I could leave the dump valves open. Opinions?

Any other areas of concern?
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 10-17-2019, 06:37 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's a 21 so you have the hot and cold running across the underside just behind the grey tank, also the water feed from the fresh water tank to the pump. Spray foam covers this so keeping the trailer warm may provide protection.
Attached Thumbnails
002.JPG   004.JPG  
Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
No I do not, after my first E19 I never got that option again. That said, in the E19 they used the same type metal toggle switch as the disconnect for the tank heaters. See if there is an extra switch under the bed or in the rear dinette....
Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
In my 2018 21ft Escape , the heat pad switches are under the driver’s side dinette seat
Lift up the plywood top and they are in the upper right hand corner as you face the seat
Escape has labeled the switches
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
I'm trying to determine problem areas if I skip winterizing this year. I have the heated tanks, do not have an outside shower, and am wondering if I could leave the dump valves open. Opinions?

Any other areas of concern?
\

I am not sure of your intent. If the tanks are empty and unused then the position of the valves shouldn't matter. You don't mean use the tanks and just dump the water on the ground, do you? Even if you did do that (please don't), the lines outside the heated space would eventually freeze once it got cold enough IMO.

Other areas of concern. We have lots of condensation on the metal frames of our windows. I don't know how the newer frameless windows will fare. The heater in our 17b was adequate to 0 degrees, but last I checked, Escape doesn't install larger furnaces in the bigger trailers so I don't know what the lower temp limit would be for yours.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It's a 21 so you have the hot and cold running across the underside just behind the grey tank, also the water feed from the fresh water tank to the pump. Spray foam covers this so keeping the trailer warm may provide protection.
Thanks, Bob. I may just drain the 4 tanks and skip the RV antifreeze. Last winter I winterized the Casita twice and I only noticed two days with temps of 20 and 21 degrees, and the temps beside the fresh water only got down to 36 - I left the cabinet doors open and ran a small electric heater.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #19

Thanks, Jim and Steve.

Steve, it's where you suggested. I have an on/off label and it's in the on position, probably forever.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
\

I am not sure of your intent. If the tanks are empty and unused then the position of the valves shouldn't matter.
Good point.

I was thinking about leaving liquid in all tanks but won't do that now, and definitely have no plans to dump directly on the ground.
Nova Kool RFU6800