Hehr Dual-pane Window Failure - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You and me both, Jim, also remember to keep those blinds in the up position....
Old 03-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just think of the window as being a ham sandwich smeared with butyl (the mustard) and clamped -screwed onto a piece of cheese (the trailer shell).
Old 03-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have had to replace 2 of my windows-the large double window in the rear and the bathroom window. Disappointed? Yes, but not worth getting upset about. Here in San Antonio we have a good independent RV repair facility-San Antonio RV Supply.They did the rear window as it is too big and unwieldy. The only issue with them is it took a month to get in but the replacement was done in a few hours. I paid them, emailed the receipt to Escape and had my check soon thereafter. My wife and I changed out the bathroom window as it is small and easy to handle. In both cases Escape had Hehr ship the windows to me. I just wish Hehr had better quality control procedures in place.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Gary-one more thing. Check with Larry at Little House Customs. In the past he has done warranty repair work for Escape and may be able to do this job.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Just think of the window as being a ham sandwich smeared with butyl (the mustard) and clamped -screwed onto a piece of cheese (the trailer shell).
Dijon or yellow?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
When my 19 got damaged by flying rocks, I had to have three windows replaced and the gel coat repaired. I took the Escape to a fiberglass boat repair place and they did a nice job. If you have a large lake nearby there will probably be some repair places for boats you might consider.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I look at the purchase of a new trailer in the same way as the purchase of a new vehicle. If during the warranty period something goes wrong then it is the vendors responsibility to make it right.
If my new truck has a problem, I do not nor will I accept the concept that the only responsibility of the manufacturer is too hand me a box of parts and tell me to have at it or hand me a couple of bucks and then pass the problem off on me. My capability to fix the problem has no bearing on the warranty .
A two year warranty is a two year warranty , the cost of the repair should have no bearing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have a lot of really good mobile RV mechanics here. That would be an easy job for them to come out and do for you. They charge less than a shop, but the best thing is you don’t have to haul the trailer in and leave it. They come out and do it right where it sits. I’m sure ETI would approve what there estimate would be.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A two year warranty is a two year warranty , the cost of the repair should have no bearing.
The warranty is from Hehr.
ETI is merely trying to facilitate the repairs.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
I spoke with ETI and learned that there was a period of time that Hehr delivered windows that were prone to this failure, and it extended into late 2017. My trailer was completed in October.
If there’s a known issue, I would hope that Hehr and ETI will extend the window waranty beyond 2 years for those of us with trailers using windows made in this period.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The warranty is from Hehr.
ETI is merely trying to facilitate the repairs.
You may look at it in any manner you wish but for me this is just another example of " PASS THE BUCK "
When and if something fails on my vehicle , I do not expect the manufacturer of the vehicle to hand me the phone number of their parts supplier and tell me to take care of it on my own.
Your idea of what a warranty is and mine differ greatly.
I expect a warranty to be worth more then the paper it is written on.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
You may look at it in any manner you wish but for me this is just another example of " PASS THE BUCK "
When and if something fails on my vehicle , I do not expect the manufacturer of the vehicle to hand me the phone number of their parts supplier and tell me to take care of it on my own.
Your idea of what a warranty is and mine differ greatly.
I expect a warranty to be worth more then the paper it is written on.
Try that approach with your tires or battery on your new vehicle, I guarantee you will be taking the bus. Every warranty has it's exceptions or exclusions. Your refrigerator in the Escape is covered by Dometic for example. I'd suggest you read your Escape warranty, if you ever decide to purchase.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't think ETI has ever passed the buck when it comes to warranty work. Owners have always had three options:
1) Take the trailer back to ETI, they'll fix it
2) Take the trailer to an authorized service center, etc. ETI pays the bill
3) The owner does the work, ETI provides the information on where to get the parts and pays the bill for the parts

I see no difference in this and my Ford truck under warranty. Although Ford would prefer 1) & 2) and I'd be on my own for 3).

Exactly what do you think ETI should do? Escape trailers have a longer warranty period than either Scamp or Casita... by double.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i don't understand why these issue end up in stupid arguments. They are posted so other trailer owners are aware of the problem and understand their options in getting the repair done if they need it. Also to assist the owners in doing their own work if they want to do their own repairs. i have never heard of ETI refusing to assist ( with the warranty on the item such as the refrigerator warranty ) or pay for warranty covered repairs/replacements. I'm sure they will in this instant too. If my windows fail i would not do my own repair but i have no worries about the company standing behind their product. No one likes to have their brand new trailer have these kinds of issues but sometimes things go wrong its how the company responds to the issues that matters.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i don't understand why these issue end up in stupid arguments. They are posted so other trailer owners are aware of the problem and understand their options in getting the repair done if they need it. Also to assist the owners in doing their own work if they want to do their own repairs. i have never heard of ETI refusing to assist ( with the warranty on the item such as the refrigerator warranty ) or pay for warranty covered repairs/replacements. I'm sure they will in this instant too. If my windows fail i would not do my own repair but i have no worries about the company standing behind their product. No one likes to have their brand new trailer have these kinds of issues but sometimes things go wrong its how the company responds to the issues that matters.
Right on....agree completely!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have to say, for a guy that always does everything himself that I'd probably want someone else to do the work. Not because the work is difficult, it's not, I've installed lots of similar windows in boats. But because I know that sometimes, even with great care, things happen. A couple of stripped screw holes or a snapped offscrew, caused by a DIY owner probably voids the warranty and leaves the owner to deal with the second problem.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Well said, Kate. These issues definitely need to be brought forward, dealt with in the best way possible, without any assumption by others until the matter is resolved. While Gary did right by reporting the problem, dealing with it is an Escape matter, not one for armchair critics (myself included .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
This sounds like the window itself has to be replaced, not the frame. this is in fact a simple job. The 1/2 hour stated to do it I don't think is unreasonable. I had an issue with the escape window in dinette area was leaking on my 50TA. ETI also gave me option of repairing myself which I was glad to do. This meant removing the window (just the glass part) and replacing the seal. Reace explained the process shipped the seal, which arrived in a couple days, and i completed the job. I was concerned that might break the glass in the removal process and he told me not to worry if that did happen he would send me a new one. Replaced the seal, didn't break the glass all is well. In the process I learned a bit more about my trailer, had a personal and informative conversation with owner of ETI, and got some personal satisfaction on repairing my own trailer. Not a bad experience.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I think your right on this. Seems those that cry the loudest are only reading what they want to hear. I'm curious as to their personal dealings with ETI, if they ever had any. The OP stated that they could have ETI make the repair, have an RV repair place do it or repair it themselves. I was given those same options with my little problem and chose to do repair myself with direction from the owner of the company. The head of Ford, GM, or Casita personally help out their customers?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The OP stated that they could have ETI make the repair, have an RV repair place do it or repair it themselves.
True, but the nuance is that Gary implied that Hehr/ETI wouldn't reimburse in full. He said,"...and so far I have not been able to find a place that is willing to do the work for whatever Hehr is willing to pay them." This implies that a limit was set for the work and if exceeded that it will not be reimbursed. It is probably just a misunderstanding and I'm sure that when he provides reasonable quotes, speaks with Reace and submits for warranty payment from ETI that this will be covered in full just like others have said was done for them. We know full well that ETI stands behind their product. Their customer service after the sale is clearly a big part of their continued success.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote