Hehr Dual-pane Window Failure - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Hehr Dual-pane Window Failure

One half of the driver-side loft window in my 5.0TA has failed. It has internal fogging.

I spoke with ETI and learned that there was a period of time that Hehr delivered windows that were prone to this failure, and it extended into late 2017. My trailer was completed in October.

Of course this is under warranty and ETI has asked Hehr to send me a replacement window. The trick is getting it installed. I have to either return to Chilliwack or find an RV service center near Fort Worth that is willing to do a warranty repair for Hehr. The trip is out of the question, and so far I have not been able to find a place that is willing to do the work for whatever Hehr is willing to pay them.

My third option, and ETI's recommendation, is to replace it myself. It should be a half-hour job, I am told.

Have other people had this problem, how did you solve it, and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Do you need an RV service centre? If you can do it yourself, surely any glass company should be able to do it.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
As I understand it, the job doesn't have anything to do with the glass. It is removing and re-installing the window frame and all, and then applying some proflex somewhere.

It is probably something I can do, but if I screw it up, it will be my problem.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I have replaced rv windows several times, these had the compression frames and involved removing the old, pacing butyl tape on the new frame and tightening the frame until the tape oozed out. You may want to have someone on the outside to catch the old window.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I had 2 windows replaced under warranty & escape paid not hehr. Hehr sent the replacement windows I think or escape & escape paid rv place directly.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
Of course this is under warranty and ETI has asked Hehr to send me a replacement window. The trick is getting it installed. I have to either return to Chilliwack or find an RV service center near Fort Worth that is willing to do a warranty repair for Hehr. The trip is out of the question, and so far I have not been able to find a place that is willing to do the work for whatever Hehr is willing to pay them.
If the trailer is under warranty it sounds like the cost issue of the install should be Hehr and ETI’s problem. If Hehr has a set rate then ETI should simply make up the difference. Get a couple estimates to prove your prices are sound. Many of us could and would do a window ourselves, but you shouldn’t have to worry about screwing something up on a new trailer.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Sounds like you can...

Call ETI, explain the issue and see if they will pay you back if you have someone install it as no one will do warranty work for Hehr.

if not then either pay for the install yourself or just do it yourself.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
One half of the driver-side loft window in my 5.0TA has failed. It has internal fogging.

I spoke with ETI and learned that there was a period of time that Hehr delivered windows that were prone to this failure, and it extended into late 2017. My trailer was completed in October.

My third option, and ETI's recommendation, is to replace it myself. It should be a half-hour job, I am told.

Have other people had this problem, how did you solve it, and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Why would anyone do warranty work themselves? You paid good money for a product with an advertised two year warranty. That ETI would prefer (recommend) that you do it yourself is a red flag. That is putting their interests ahead of yours.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Okay, I'm old and I've rebedded a couple of Scamp windows in my 1988 16' Scamp. It can be a two person job, if there are two people available. But if not, one person and some duct tape works. Yes, your trailer is currently under warranty... but, that won't always be the case. OF ALL the things I've done to both my Scamp and Escape... rebedding the window(s) (solo) was one of the easiest. YMMV

I wish you well
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Plenty of "How Too" videos on You Tube.

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote