Height of raised 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Height of raised 15

I may be hitting a snag on raising my garage door. I was hoping the contractor building my neighbor's new garage would do it and he came and looked, and was worried about how the original was done, so I found a construction pic, and he may be worried for good reason. (See photo). The header may be done the way it is for wind resistance reasons.

Anyway, the alternative I was thinking of are lowering the trailer and then possibly just letting air out to store in the garage. It wouldn't be an easy in and out all camping season, but I could get it out of winter storm winds anyway.

Mine is raised and is 8' 8" tall. The brochure says the 15 is 8' 2" tall. That seems like more of a height difference than I've seen mentioned for other trailers ( more like 3 1/2). Has anyone measured their non-raised 15? And is the tall part the fan?

Bobbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage door construction - 1.jpg (206.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Wind and trailer.jpg (192.2 KB, 40 views)

Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
You could always dig out and lower the floor, that picture shows a thick garage floor....

Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

Not practical for a variety of reasons.

I have thought of getting a cover, and building a small fenced area so that the wind would be cut down, and parking it in there. I don't think I could get a permit for another garage even if I could afford it. Carports are impossible here; the wind just crumples them up.

But most practical if do-able is normal axle and then maybe let a little air out. Plenty of room inside the garage to fill the tires back up.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Somewhat side tracked, but I am debating a similar issue. I had a carport built several years ago, could have gotten just about any height but I went with 9 foot side walls (I enter on the side wall rather than the front).

Then my Casita showed up, so I had a local welder raise the header above one entry point to the very max, its 8-6. Now I am moving to an Escape, and need 9-3 minimum....

In my case, the cost to modify that carport one more time may exceed the cost of replacing it with a 12 foot side wall unit.

Of course, the carport is attached to a matching enclosed garage, which of course, has 9 foot side walls as well. Raising the garage roof is a non-starter due to the improvements inside of it.....

Been kicking myself for a while on this one. First step is to see if I can even get the Escape into the backyard where the carport is located, as I have a long, narrow garage, with a diagonal slot you have to traverse just to get into the back yard. I've actually looked into a second driveway, but that has a serious of hurdles, mainly utilities in the way and a steep grade......

Stupid question but can you replace the existing header with a steel beam or perhaps an engineered glue lam beam? You'd probably only gain inches.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: TBD
The garage floor has to be higher than the surrounding terrain so that gas / fuel vapors are not trapped in the garage . If the garage floor is lower than positive ventilation is required to remove the fumes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
Stupid question but can you replace the existing header with a steel beam or perhaps an engineered glue lam beam? You'd probably only gain inches.
Inches might be enough though I'd rather not both have the expense of lowering AND changing the garage door. I did email Escape to ask about the height difference.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The garage floor has to be higher than the surrounding terrain so that gas / fuel vapors are not trapped in the garage . If the garage floor is lower than positive ventilation is required to remove the fumes.
The surrounding terrain would have to be lowered, too, or I couldn't get the trailer in- which would mean lowering the driveway, too, which can't be done because the septic tanks are under the driveway so they'd have to be lowered, too.

There seem to be a lot of us kicking ourselves! I just had no thought of another trailer being over 8' tall when I was building. It never occurred to me.

(My neighbor across the street built about a year before I did and you should see how he has to maneuver to get his boat into the garage- it involves folding back part of the trailer tongue and then putting it in diagonally! And he actually did measure the boat- he just forgot that the finished drywall he wanted in the garage would take space. I suggested he should just put a hole in the drywall to accommodate the end of the boat.)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I may be hitting a snag on raising my garage door. I was hoping the contractor building my neighbor's new garage would do it and he came and looked, and was worried about how the original was done, so I found a construction pic, and he may be worried for good reason. (See photo). The header may be done the way it is for wind resistance reasons.

Anyway, the alternative I was thinking of are lowering the trailer and then possibly just letting air out to store in the garage. It wouldn't be an easy in and out all camping season, but I could get it out of winter storm winds anyway.

Mine is raised and is 8' 8" tall. The brochure says the 15 is 8' 2" tall. That seems like more of a height difference than I've seen mentioned for other trailers ( more like 3 1/2). Has anyone measured their non-raised 15? And is the tall part the fan?

Bobbie
I wouldn't suggest this for camping season, but if your main purpose is winter storage, get a pair of cheap sacrificial wheels without tires. Just swap them out in the driveway when ready to put up for the winter. I bet wheels without tires would lower your trailer enough to clear the header.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #9

That may work- or small tires. I would have preferred easy in and out but I really only need it for off-season storage. But if I can get to an easy in and out I'd rather do that, even if it costs a little money.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I wouldn't suggest this for camping season, but if your main purpose is winter storage, get a pair of cheap sacrificial wheels without tires. Just swap them out in the driveway when ready to put up for the winter. I bet wheels without tires would lower your trailer enough to clear the header.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
That may work- or small tires. I would have preferred easy in and out but I really only need it for off-season storage.
If I read the thread correctly you need about 8". In rough numbers...assuming you are running a 205/75/R14 (~26" inflated diameter) a 12" rim with small tire (4.80-12 on etrailer is 20.5" inflated diameter) would only buy you about 2.75" +/-. If you decided to roll it in on just a set of 12" rims you would gain just about 7"+/-. I know you probably don't want to modify the MaxxFan but the Fantastic Fan with standard lid appears to be about an inch shorter in height above the roof. So there you have 8" without modifying your garage or your axle lift....but it may just barely make it, still costs money and isn't terribly convenient.

On edit, the 12" rim is measured bead seat to bead seat so the overall diameter is slightly larger, so the gain of 7" is probably reduced by about a 1/2" or so.

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote