Helix Folding Bike - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Helix Folding Bike

Though I have never tried a folding bike that wowed me, much preferring a full sized one, this new Helix model set to hit the market later this summer does look like a great concept, with lots of though going into it. Very compact folded, and super light too.

Not cheap, but not too bad either, especially if it performs well.

Helix - The World's Best Folding Bike
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd be afraid to leave that unattended, nice but expensive for just camping.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd be afraid to leave that unattended, nice but expensive for just camping.
Seriously, this is your input? Don't use it because it is too expensive? You may want to leave your Escape at home, and pick up a cheaper trailer to take camping, and pull it with an old beat up pickup truck then. Heaven forbid something should happen to them.

My main mountain bike I often take, is a few times more costly than this. I certainly do take precautions for theft, but would never let that stop me from enjoying myself.

Boy, all I wanted to do was show an interesting new concept for a folding bike, and two posts in, this already gets sidetracked.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
the web page doesn't have the tire size but it does have the folding dimensions and it looks like the bike has 23 or 25 inch diameter wheels which I think are larger than the norm. I like that. For security I'd just fold it up and put it in my trailer. At $1500.00 dollars, for a part time bike, makes the security point moot.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
That is a nice bike. I think that price is a very good one, especially with the titanium frame, At 21 lbs that only weighs 2 lbs more than my Trek carbon fiber bike and costs 1/3 the price of the Trek.

I would want to ride it to see how those 25 inch wheels changed the feel. For you getting off a mountain bike probably not to much.

I wish there was a photo of someone riding, just to get some perspective.

This is a bike I could easily purchase.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Tires 24" x 1.5" (ETRTO 40-507)
Old 03-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

Hey Fudge, there's a short video of someone riding through the streets of Toronto on the web page.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I just watched the video. That is an interesting method of moving the bicycle around using the seat and pushing it on the wheels. I just finished a 55 mile road ride here in Florida, I could not see myself doing that sort of ride on this bike but I could certainly see doing 25 miles.

I wish the rider in the video was wearing a helmet.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That's a very impressive folding design, using a couple of motions that seem unique to me, although I'm far from an expert of folding bikes. The result is much nicer package than most. One strange feature in the bike shown in the video is that the rear wheel frame pivot action was not retained by any kind of latch - if you lift the bike the rear frame will just flop down; the FAQ confirms this was true of that prototype but the production version will have a latch.

I notice that this is a real product (not a conceptual rendering), but still in prototype and not delivering to buyers yet. It's an opportunity to get an advanced design as soon as possible, but there is some chance that it will not work out quite as promised.

This looks like a great design for carrying inside either the trailer or the tug, avoiding issues with external racks. We have taken bikes on trips and I like being able to locally explore beyond walking range. I'm not sure if the improvement over a cheap bike is worth the price to me, but on the other hand it seems reasonably priced, given the materials and construction features. They say they will offer an internal gear hub, and that's what I would choose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I just watched the video. That is an interesting method of moving the bicycle around using the seat and pushing it on the wheels. I just finished a 55 mile road ride here in Florida, I could not see myself doing that sort of ride on this bike but I could certainly see doing 25 miles.

I wish the rider in the video was wearing a helmet.
It would be something fine for shorter rides like you say, up to 25 miles, but for more serious riding, and trail riding, it should be just fine. (and I noticed the helmet thing too)

I am not looking to buy a folding bike right now, but who know into the future when I don't yearn for the thrill of mountain biking as much. I like the compact light size factor for putting in the back of the tow vehicle. Be great for road trips, or groomed trails, when camping.

Being a folding bike, security for it would be a lot easier, it could be put away in so many places that a full sized bike couldn't.

I most definitely would want to try one out on a ride before buying, or at least see some in depth reviews from competent riders.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #11

I've noticed more and more the 'one pronged front fork' in the high end bikes these days and this Helix is no exception. Is it to lower the overall weight?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wow, showed it to my wife. We guessed what the price might be. It's about half what we expected. Order it she said. Bang, we're on the kickstarter list.

We've had the old style clunker folding bikes. They did the job in a basic way if you ignored some of the shortcomings. But this double folding design, or more properly, folding and swinging design, done in titanium is brilliant.

Thanks for posting Jim, it's the folding bike we've been waiting for.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One strange feature in the bike shown in the video is that the rear wheel frame pivot action was not retained by any kind of latch - if you lift the bike the rear frame will just flop down; the FAQ confirms this was true of that prototype but the production version will have a latch.
I had noticed that and wondered about it too, but didn't go into the FAQs and forgot. Glad to hear it will latch, otherwise a rough spot could potentially create some instability.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wow, showed it to my wife. We guessed what the price might be. It's about half what we expected. Order it she said. Bang, we're on the kickstarter list.

We've had the old style clunker folding bikes. They did the job in a basic way if you ignored some of the shortcomings. But this double folding design, or more properly, folding and swinging design, done in titanium is brilliant.

Thanks for posting Jim, it's the folding bike we've been waiting for.

Ron
No problem, Ron. This has been by far the most impressive folding bike I have seen, with lots of thought going into the design. "Clunker folding bikes" is pretty much what I have thought on the few I have tried. They gotsta be fun to ride, or will just collect dust.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I've noticed more and more the 'one pronged front fork' in the high end bikes these days and this Helix is no exception. Is it to lower the overall weight?
In this case, I believe it is to allow the front wheel to fold back. I think it is usually done to reduce weight... or maybe just to be different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A folding bike made in Canada seems like a perfect match for a trailer made in Canada.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
This sure looks like a great idea and a quality folding bike is very attractive. They seem to have done a lot of research and development.
I am hesitant to buy a prototype or first model since I've been burned before buying a first model car. Very tempting though! If anyone gets to test ride please let the rest of us know how it does!
Old 03-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #18

re: single prong front forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In this case, I believe it is to allow the front wheel to fold back. I think it is usually done to reduce weight... or maybe just to be different.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=singl...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

more common than I thought.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #19

What bothers me, about this Canadian made product, is that Helix appears to be asking for US Dollars in their 'special' Kickstarter pre-order price. Did I read this correctly?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, that's what it states. Not all that unusual for a product that you expect to sell internationally.

In another life I manufactured a product sold worldwide and it was so much easier to sell in USD. Otherwise I'd get phone calls wanting to play the exchange game and since US and international sales far outnumbered Canadian sales it was just easier to quote the list price in USD.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote