Help!!! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Help!!!

Hey Escapees - I need your help. Tammy just wrote me and wants to know where I want the 12v outlet and TV coax plugin installed on our 17B. Since I have never been IN a 17B I am not sure what to tell her. We would (infrequently) use the TV cable plug to connect to my Mac laptop for TV viewing. The 12v outlet I will sometimes use to charge our Coleman battery lantern and who knows. So I am hoping for some expert advice from you Escapees!!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Help!!!

Hi: Eric T...We have two 12V sockets. One in the loft/bed area with the TV antenna and cable outlets, and one beside the GFI outlet beside the sink/ under the counter extension. If I had it to do over again I'd probably locate one beside the converter in the face of the dinette seat. Usually the power cords for the computers etc. are long enough and the dinette area isn't that big a space. My wife is the "Tech Support" one with the computer. We're still learning where stuff is after three years. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
black tie optional.jpg   phpEiQG2CPM.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

We have two 12 volt outlets but have not used the trailer enough to validate the choices we made for locations. However, keep in mind other possible uses such as GPS and phone recharging, laptop and how about CPAP machines. Most of the new CPAP are low draw and will run fine on 12 volt with a different power cord. By the way we choose over the Queen bed and under the front dinette.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I had one installed under the bed at the rear passenger side and one on the wardrobe on the front passenger side ( after having the unit for a year ). Both are located next to existing wiring. I'd order front and rear DC ports and I'd get one outside along with an AC outside if I were ordering again. The more options the better.

However, you can buy DC splitters and extension cords for under $10 from The Source ( formerly Radio Shack ) or online. I run a DC extension out the window to my Sat radio for instance. Could watch TV outside too if I had a signal or watch a DVD using the DVD player and TV powered by the splitter and extension.

What I'm trying to say is it is easier to install options now than later.

baglo

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #5

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT

Hi All - wondering what to buy for the 5.0, 12v tv or 120v. Limitations on the 120v is need shore power. Or is using an inverter better to power the 120v tv.

Your thoughts please.
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Hi Eric,
I got a tv and 12 volt next to the outlet on the wardrobe passenger side facing front next to each other. I also got a tv outlet near the fridge as I got the tv too. I only got the 12 volt on the advise of a family member. For the foreseeable future, I plan to use shore power, so I got extra regular outlets, like under the stove top so I could plug in a hairdryer to use in the shower area. (I also got the door hinges changed to make that and bathroom access more user friendly for me.) Glenn has good advice.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #7

My 15" television plugs into AC and converts it to DC to the TV. I could get a DC power cord for it, but I can also plug my inverter into DC, converting it to AC and then the power cord will convert it back to DC to the TV.
Or, I could just leave the TV at home and play cribbage or scrabble, or read a book...on my iPad....

baglo

Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGSKPN
Hi All - wondering what to buy for the 5.0, 12v tv or 120v. Limitations on the 120v is need shore power. Or is using an inverter better to power the 120v tv.

Your thoughts please.
EGSKPN,
Our TV is DC, so will work whether plugged in or on battery. Makes a complicated issue simple.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I put a cable/DC outlet on a dinette bench towards the front of the trailer, and one up high by the side gable of the kitchen for wall mounting a TV should we get one. The latter has only been used to charge cell phones, but the one at the dinette has been used a couple times for watching TV on my laptop.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

You are an amazing group - thanks so much for your quick help! All you ideas have helped me focus on the possible locations. We are very infrequent TV viewers when camping (we are seldom anywhere where it is available) and are more likely to watch a DVD on the Mac laptop. I think for us a cable TV outlet near the bed (either above -near the lights or underneath) would be the most practical. A 12v outlet will most likely just be used infrequently to charge devices like our GPS, lantern or cell phones - so I think near the front dinette where they can sit while charging will be best.

Again thank you all so very much for all your quick suggestions!!!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

We just returned from a six week trip down south. We located the 12v on the dinette seat driver side up front - "out of the way" we thought - you're not kidding! It has proved awkward to get to and plug in or remove and in retrospect, I think practicality would dictate a location closer to the open area - but the 19's dinette is deeper than a 17's I think, so it may not be as much of an issue for you. Ian
Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

We have 4 DC outlets in our 19. One is up in the cabinet above the bed which is where the cable/coax & video outlets are also located. The TV swing arm is mounted in the woodwork right below it on the side of the fridge. I find this useful b/c it keeps the various cables/cords up & behind the tv so they're out of the way from the kids & feet. Another DC outlet is next to an A/C outlet near the floor under the fridge next to the water heater switch. The other two are under each seat in the front dinette near the floor. Currently, they get the least use b/c the dinette is usually made into the bed for the kiddos. I think they'll get more use down the road when the kiddos are bigger and likely prefer to be in a tent.

We found some rubber water hose caps that fit perfectly over the DC outlets which helps keep potential debris & moisture as well as little kid fingers out when they're not being used. I highly recommend them. Funny thing is that I can't remember where I got them which is a bummer b/c I'd like to get some more for using on some hoses at our house.

As baglo mentioned, I sometimes think it'd be nice to have one on the outside next to our outside A/C outlet. It'd be convenient but we were hesitant b/c we didn't want another hole in the shell that could potentially be a water leakage entry point. As I recall, Tammy didn't seem to think it was a good idea - can't recall why though.

As for a TV, we have a 19" Jensen that is DC powered but came with an A/C power cord/adapter (similar to the power cord you get with a laptop computer). We like the DC b/c it can be used in the trailer whether we're plugged in or not similar to Hokie. However the A/C cord is nice b/c we can bring it in the house & plug it in for use too.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Geo

For a TV, I use my laptop top even at home.
Movies and 1/2 hour delayed TV shows.
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #14

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT

Hi - I have been looking around for an ac/dc tv for the last couple of days. There seems to be lots on the net for mail order, but can't seem to find any in the box stores. Anyone got any ideas?

Ken (EGSKPN)
5.0 CALGARY
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #15

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

When I was looking, I encountered the same problem. I ended up ordering mine online from Jensen RV Direct (http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...-stand-91.html) and everything worked out fine for me. Camping World sells the same tv online but doesn't physically carry it in their store locations.

fyi... The Jensen TV is compatible with the Escape's Jensen Stereo/CD/DVD player option which means one remote works both of them which is quite convenient.

Good luck and please be sure to post for others if you do end up finding one in a brick & mortar store.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #16

I bought an Insignia 15 inch flat-screen at Future Shop. Not the greatest TV, but the only choice I had under 19 inches. As I said earlier it runs on AC, which is converted to DC before going into the TV. There may be a DC cord available for it, but my solution was to get an inverter ( about $50 at Canadian Tire - lots of choices and power ratings ). I can plug into AC at an RV park or plug the inverter into DC and the AC cord into the inverter for power when dry camping.
I also find the inverter useful for charging my cell phone or computer in the vehicle while traveling. The RAV has a DC outlet next to the rear hatch so I can use that to plug in DC devices ( listening to satellite radio outside for instance ) or I can plug in the inverter and use it to provide AC to the TV or whatever. Just be careful how much power you are drawing. A buddy melted his inverter, using a power drill. The new TVs don't use much at all.

baglo
Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #17
ashleymeadow

I have a 17B that we got in November of last year. We had Reace install the cable outlet on the vertical wall below the bed on the refrigerator side. That didn't work too well because we installed the swing arm mount on the wall next to the refriderator, and that made a cable going up that was always in the way, so I sliced into the connector (under the seat) and ran it inside the underseat compartment and drilled a hole so it now comes up at the corner connecting to the back of the TV. I would preferred to have had Reace cable it up to the microware 120V outlet. I would have been much cleaner. Our TV is a 22" with the built-in DVD player running on 120V only.

We have a 12V outlet under the front seat for charging the cell phones, and another under the bed next to a 120V outlet.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #18

Another factor in TV placement is how do you sleep?
After 40 years in the same bed I can't really change sides, and I'm the one who gets up in the night for a pee. That means we sleep with our heads on the passenger side, next to the fridge and - under the TV ( if we had it wall mounted ). We store the TV in the wardrobe for travel and when not wanted.

baglo