Help!!! Did they sell us the wrong battery? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Help!!! Did they sell us the wrong battery?

Hate that our first post is a possible tale of woe. We have a new to us 2011 19ft and have camped about 3 times. Last trip our propane detector kept going off so we took it in to our local rv repair and they said we needed new batteries. We have the dual 6 volt system.
We left with Durcell Ultra 6 volt, part no. SLIGC125. They get all their batteries from Batteries Plus which is down the street.

It says 20 AH CAP and 132 min@ 75amps. I have no idea if this is the right battery and I am sorry to say that I have very little trust in RV shops....due to previous experiences.
Please tell me if we/they screwed up.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne r View Post
We left with Durcell Ultra 6 volt, part no. SLIGC125. They get all their batteries from Batteries Plus which is down the street.

It says 20 AH CAP and 132 min@ 75amps.
The "20 AH" capacity value doesn't make sense, so perhaps it is just a typo. Batteries of this size should have a capacity of over 200 amp-hours (measured when discharging over a period of 20 hours, so at an average of 10 amps or more). The other capacity rating of 132 minutes at a rate of 75 amps does make sense: that's 2.2 hours times 75 amps, or 165 amp-hours; the capacity is lower in this test because you get less out in total if you pull it out at a higher rate.

The Batteries+Bulbs web page for the SLIGC125 says the capacity is "235AH at 20 hour rate", which is perfectly reasonable.

The Duracell SLIGC125 is a "golf cart" battery, which is the same general type as is normally used in dual-6V RV setups; it is at least approximately "the right battery".

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

The Duracell site for this type of battery is not very informative, but the brochure covers the product line, and indicates that this is the highest-capacity model of the GC2 size, so it's probably a reasonable battery. "Duracell" is just a brand name in this case; the battery is actually made by East Penn, which is one of the big three or four lead-acid battery manufacturers
Old 10-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Thank you, Brian!
The numbers 235 were over from the phrase 20 AH CAP on the top of the battery.

They first offered us a set of batteries that were $120 each and since we boondock frequently I asked for a better battery. So we upgraded to $180 per battery. Your link to Batteries Plus shows their online price at $119.00!
The batteries were not completely charged....the rv shop said this was normal. Our trailer lives in a storage place and we just tried to charge them up with our solar panel.
Going camping this week. Will see how they work.
Thank you for your help!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
The Duracell SLIGC125 is advertised by Batteries Plus as a direct replacement for a Trojan T105. It's more than adequate. Most batteries like the Duracell are made by one of about 5 or 6 manufacturers, and just "branded" for the company they sell them to. The Duracell may very well be a Trojan or an Exide, but info on the actual maker is hard to find on the web. The specs are fine - it's a deep cycle, and has good amp hours.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Most batteries like the Duracell are made by one of about 5 or 6 manufacturers, and just "branded" for the company they sell them to. The Duracell may very well be a Trojan or an Exide, but info on the actual maker is hard to find on the web.
Right, but in this case the brochure has the actual manufacturer's name at the bottom of the page...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Duracell site for this type of battery is not very informative, but the brochure covers the product line...
"Duracell" is just a brand name in this case; the battery is actually made by East Penn, which is one of the big three or four lead-acid battery manufacturers
Johnson Controls is the other big name in this business, in addition to Exide and East Penn. Trojan is big in commercial-grade batteries; the others build a wider range of lead-acid battery types.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne r View Post
The numbers 235 were over from the phrase 20 AH CAP on the top of the battery.
That makes sense. The "20 AH" should be "20 hour": it means the capacity (measured as amps of current times hours of current flow) measured in a test that runs the battery down over a 20-hour period.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm curious why a 4 year old trailer with the original dual 6 volts would need replacement? Perhaps a better charging system? Were the batters check with a gauge for specific gravity? Seems odd, my alarm has gone off and I just recharged the battery in other trailers....
Old 10-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim - good point. My dual Interstates are over 5 years old and still perform and take the same charge they did when new.

But, I've also read that draining deep cycles lower than 50% levels often can seriously shorten their lifespan. As Lynne and David bought this one used there is no way to know how the first owner used/maintained the batteries.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The 50% discharge should apply to 12v deep cycle. The 6v deep cycles should be able to go to an 80% discharge rate if I recall correctly. One of the big advantages to dual 6v systems.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote