Help with getting internet cable inside Escape 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
And I borrowed your drill bit to mount one myself 16 months ago. Thanks.
No problem, and I added a 2" hole saw to the collection.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #22
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIndigo View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice. I've recently purchased a brand new 19' Escape and I am planning to live in it full time. Since I don't own or watch TV it never occured for me to get it "cable ready". Now I am parked on a private property where I have access to Comcast internet (I need it for work). Originally I thought I would use a hotspot at a campground, but I found this amazing place that's much better than a campground, and it comes with cable internet. My question is how to get the cable inside the trailer? I obviously do not want to be drilling any holes into the fiberglass. The only way at this point I can think of is through a window, but that would mean that bugs and would be getting in as well.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Galina

Hi Galina,

For my wifi booster, I use a flat ethernet cable to connect the internal router to the outside antenna/booster (an Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 - Wireless Access Point - AirMax). I can bring out the cable through one of my exterior hatches, and the cable is flat enough that it is easy to close the hatch with the cable and the cable remains good, and the hatch door seals well.

Here's an example of the cable I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Ethernet-...s%2C200&sr=8-3

I may end up drilling a hole in the trailer in the future, but I wanted to experiment with various setups before I made permanent changes in the trailer.

Best wishes!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Outside Waterproof Ethernet Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
its not clear to me if this is for cable tv style internet connection, or ethernet. ethernet is not normally used for outdoor applications. it all hinges on where the cable modem/router is... is it inside the trailer, or outside ?
John, I better remember you since you seem to have some knowledge on this subject. I used waterproof ethernet cable to attach to an outside waterproof access point 5 years ago. My body is 5 years older and my brain/memory seems like 5 decades older. I had considerable difficulty then and dread doing it again.

The access point cost less than 100' of cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Acces...p_ob_title_def
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:11 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19'
John, I see that you are in Santa Cruz. I am in Scott's Valley - so we are neighbors! The cable is whatever Comcast provides for everybody in the area. I believe this is meant for an indoor modem, the same one I have in my apartment.
BlueIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:17 AM   #25

Thank you! Yes a flat cable through a hatch would solve this problem. That looks like a cool idea, but I am not sure how to connect the Comcast cable to the flat cable... The modem still remains outside. I am going to try it with a weatherproof box and and a wifi router for now. May be a hole sometime later if this setup does not work for the long term.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:23 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
John, I see that you are in Santa Cruz. I am in Scott's Valley - so we are neighbors! The cable is whatever Comcast provides for everybody in the area. I believe this is meant for an indoor modem, the same one I have in my apartment.
ok, so thats a RG6 coax cable with an "F" connector..

so you'd want to install something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-4.../dp/B002UC171C

that requires a 1/2" hole, which can be drilled pretty easily with a handheld electric drill, and two smaller holes for the screws to secure it. I'd use urethane sealer all over the back side of that jack plate so water can't creep in. On my 21, I'd probably put it either between the furnace and the RV's power cord on the rear curbside where it would be under the dinette bench, or near the water heater on the front curb side under the bed, kinda depends on where you want to put the modem. under the dinette bench is probably the most convenient place, the modem/router could live under there too, and just run an ethernet cable up to your dinette to plug in your computer (or use wifi)

for interior wiring you'd use a standard F to F rg8 coax cable just like you would use to connect a cable modem at home to a wall jack. the cable modem will need 120VAC power (never saw one that worked on 12VDC).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:45 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Thank you! Yes a flat cable through a hatch would solve this problem. That looks like a cool idea, but I am not sure how to connect the Comcast cable to the flat cable... The modem still remains outside. I am going to try it with a weatherproof box and and a wifi router for now. May be a hole sometime later if this setup does not work for the long term.
make sure thats a plastic weatherbox, and not a metal one, or the wifi signal won't escape.

I note my cable modem at home gets quite warm, in a small sealed enclosure it might not be real happy long term.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That looks like the one Escape uses...
Old 06-27-2019, 01:20 AM   #29

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try the plastic weatherbox first and see if I can make it work. If not then I guess drilling a hole it is. It is a brand new beautiful trailer and I am really scared to mess it up, but you all sound so sure that it can be done safely, it's getting me to reconsider this.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Sooner or later you probably will have to drill a hole. One thing you could do to ease your anxiety is to put a piece of masking tape where you contemplate drilling a hole. Then you could post a photo and ask "is there any problem drilling a hole here?"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #31
Bea

Quote:

If you need a flat coax cable rather than a flat ethernet cable, here's something that would fit between a closed hatch door and the trailer:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Jumper-...s%2C192&sr=8-3

This may not be optimal for the final, long term solution, but it would allow for some experimentation before you make the final decision to drill a hole.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
If you need a flat coax cable rather than a flat ethernet cable, here's something that would fit between a closed hatch door and the trailer:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Jumper-...s%2C192&sr=8-3

This may not be optimal for the final, long term solution, but it would allow for some experimentation before you make the final decision to drill a hole.
Wow thank you! So this can be connected to the Comcast cable and then to the router inside, correct?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #33

So I did finally talk to someone at ETI today and he also suggested that I drill a hole and install a cable jack... I feel a lot better now, and if the partial solutions don't work, I will feel a lot less anxious about making that hole. Will probably check back here about the location. Thank you all so much!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #34
Bea

Quote:
Wow thank you! So this can be connected to the Comcast cable and then to the router inside, correct?
I am not sure which type of "Comcast cable" you are talking about. However, If this cable is a coax type, they you may need some adapters (or "Cable Extension Couplers") like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N6MTR4F...d_i=B07N6MTR4F

These are useful if you need to link together two or more cables.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #35

Trailer: 2011 17B
I would avoid using a specific connector. CATV uses an "F" connector for 75 ohm coax (RG-59 or equiv). But there are others, i.e. you get an actual ethernet cable with an RJ-45 plug. The problem is you drill a hole for what is available now and then when you go somewhere else, it is different...

I suggest you find a relatively flush outdoor outlet box cover, attach it to one of your hatches, typically the rear one on the passenger side, and make an opening in the door where the outlets would be. If that is not practical, go through the wall in a place where there is a storage space. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ML450G-3-5-In.../dp/B003DPL7O2

You don't need a box on the inside and the hatch is easily thick enough to support attachment screws. If you go through the fiberglass, you will need a backing plate which can be a low voltage open-at-the-back box. The covers typically have an opening just big enough to pass a cable or two through which keeps rain/critters out. Passing the cable through the storage box to where ever may need another hole. That can be solved by something that looks nice but doesn't have to be weatherproof. There are lots of A/V wall plates that fit.
lieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #36

Thanks so much for this suggestion! After all said and done, I think that I am going to drill a hole in the storage hatch - exactly as you are describing. Are you suggesting that I make a hole in the hatch and somehow attache this weatherproof cover to the outside of it so that the internet cable goes through the protected hole in the cover and into the storage compartment? This way I don't need to get a cable jack and mess with the cable, correct?
Thank you!