Help with Thermal Window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
Help with Thermal Window

On my 2017 21' the bathroom thermal window is coming unglued from the bottom .. threads of sticky glue showing. Used gorilla tape on side and bottom for now, but would appreciate any suggestions on how to correctly repair .. type of glue or tape .. process, etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We have a 19, but I'd be all over Escape first. Sounds like something they should resolve.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Hmm... this might be not be an isolated problem. We had the same issue.

We picked up our 2017 19' in September (it was completed in May). On the third day, Jan noticed that she couldn't close the bathroom window, because the pane was detaching from its hinge. We hauled the trailer back up to Escape. They replaced the window while we waited.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
So two known cases since May 2017? And they’re turning out two trailers per day, five days per week. Not to minimize the issue for those whom this has happened to, but for all others this seems a rare and unlikely issue. Hopefully.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
So two known cases since May 2017? ....
Not all owners even look at this forum and only a small minority post so one cannot assume the two reported here are in any way representative of what ETI is hearing.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Hi Ross!

Yeah, you’re right. But I keep thinking of that old sales-related statistic that people are ten times more likely to complain to others about an unsatisfactory product or service than they are to express satisfaction with a satisfactory one. That, and another well-established psychological phenomenon that most people really like to b!tch about stuff. With both of those principles in operation, I would expect to hear of more than two cases of “window slide” if the problem were truly widespread, that’s all.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If owners of trailers are upset, image how ETI feels. They warranty trailers and deal with issues for products they don't produce.. just install. Sounds like Hehr has a problem, ETI is just trying to fix it for owners. While we don't hear of every single window issue, there are a lot of other brands of RVs using these same windows. IF you think it's really a wide-spread problem, check out the two largest RV forums. IRV2.com and the Open Road forums at RV.net.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
Hmm... this might be not be an isolated problem. We had the same issue.

We picked up our 2017 19' in September (it was completed in May). On the third day, Jan noticed that she couldn't close the bathroom window, because the pane was detaching from its hinge. We hauled the trailer back up to Escape. They replaced the window while we waited.
Ditto for the frameless bathroom window in our 5.0TA picked up last May - sliding out of hinge on our second day of shakedown camping. Stopped by ETI on our way to Osoyoos and they replaced while we waited.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Just my thought here . We don't have frameless windows . I don't think you can compare the thinner walls of fiberglass to thicker walls on a (stickey) in comparisons . Different animals in my mind . The sliders that we have ,screw into each other ,inside to outside .Less likely to come undone . If the frameless are just glued on and the flexing of the body , with thin walls . I see a issue if not today maybe later .As I said don't have frameless .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19'
Having replaced the window once, I believe the frameless windows frame is two pieces, one inside one outside and screwed together. I dont think it was that much different than the other types of windows. The glass part sits on a hinge/track on the top and is only held by friction. Reace said the caulk on the top is to prevent water from pooling there.. The glass is held in place by the two rivets (or screws, depending on the version you got) and held by the opening arms so you don't lift it too high to unseat the glass from the hinge.

It looks like the two problems described here are different.. now if we are tracking frameless window problem these would be two added to the leaking problem that lead to a Hehr recall last year, too.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
Bathroom window repair

Thanks for everyone's response. While I was hoping someone knew a "quick" fix it looks like I will need to contact Escape. I have been on the road since the trailer was delivered 10/27/17 with the only other issue being that the RCA microwave died after 4 days .. Just went to Walmart and got replacement .. no need to bother Escape.

Other than the new issue with the bathroom window everything is working great and I love the trailer. I am ever so slowly making my way from San Diego, CA to Pahrump, NV to establish residency (No taxes!).

I'm unlikely to travel to Canada for repair and hope the Escape can work out a way for repair in the Vegas,Pahrump area. If not, no big deal. Since most RV's are now going to this type of window it should be repairable. I'll let everyone know what happens. Again, thanks for your responses
Old 02-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #12

Trailer: None now
Three, people now, bathroom one first then the kitchen. Bathroom was the crank detached from the window and I hopefully fixed it. Kitchen window separated and part is waiting for me at home. I gathered from my conversation with Escape the crank handle separation is more common.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 17
Any glass place with rv window experience should be fine. If an rv dealer is booked solid, as usual, you can ask who they have sent folks to in the area. Very common since rain in an rv is time critical. You can also ask Duncan systems inc. rv glass for a rv glass installer in your area. About the "Hehr recall last year" was that for the current escape frameless type windows? Or the traditional framed? Thanks. Keep us posted OP
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Any glass place with rv window experience should be fine. If an rv dealer is booked solid, as usual, you can ask who they have sent folks to in the area. Very common since rain in an rv is time critical. You can also ask Duncan systems inc. rv glass for a rv glass installer in your area. About the "Hehr recall last year" was that for the current escape frameless type windows? Or the traditional framed? Thanks. Keep us posted OP
I think last years was for the large Hehr dual frameless window in the rear and was for a water leak.
There are 2 problems happening in ours with the small window used for the bathroom and kitchen. Our bathroom window crank detached from the inside glass. I reattached it with a piece of VHB tape and thought it was fixed. According to Escape this while not common is usually what fails. And they have had it happen only with the small windows.
Then our kitchen window separated. I noticed it seemed to be open when I was washing the trailer and went inside to close it.It was closed so I opened it to see what was wrong. Whatever they used to attach the 2 windows pieces together let go and a sticky stringy mess was left. I taped it closed and contacted Escape who had Hehr send a window. We were up at Scamp camp and the window came in last week so I had it diverted to a UPS store and picked it up today. While up at Scamp camp I noticed this posting and decided to check the bathroom window to make sure the crank was still attached. It is but that window too is coming apart.
On these whatever Hehr used for adhesive seems to be softening and the window delaminates. If I did not tape it the outer part looks like it would fly off as it is hanging like the loose tooth in a 6 year old kids mouth.
It might be rare but is something to watch out for. Hopefully the replacement windows are made right and they and no other window on the trailer have either of these failures.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #15

Here is what our kitchen window looks like.
The outside dark glass has separated from the inside clear glass.
And the bathroom window has the same problem.

I tried pushing them back together and it holds for a few seconds then starts coming apart again.
So both windows have tape wrapped around them until they are replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen window.jpg  
Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #16
Stu

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
The bath window in our 2017 19 delaminated also. We made a weekend trip to ETI and it was fixed quickly.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I’ve don’t have any experience with this type of windows yet (21 on order ) but 3M makes double sided rubber tape for windows if these can be taken off one could try re-glazing the 2 panes back together with new rubber. Just a thought
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I’ve don’t have any experience with this type of windows yet (21 on order ) but 3M makes double sided rubber tape for windows if these can be taken off one could try re-glazing the 2 panes back together with new rubber. Just a thought
They are being covered by Hehr under warranty.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2006 Casita Now 2017 Escape 19
Kitchen window coming unglued

one more Kitchen window coming unglued
dmtooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
That might work as a temporary repair but without removing the moisture laden air the window would have "broken seal syndrome" that is, it would fog up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermal, thermal window