Hitch lock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17A
Hitch lock

Any recommendations for hitch locks? Google gives a range of $8 pin locks to $250 Proven locks, which look very heavy and unwieldy. I'd like to keep someone else from driving off with my new 17A.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
Any recommendations for hitch locks? Google gives a range of $8 pin locks to $250 Proven locks, which look very heavy and unwieldy. I'd like to keep someone else from driving off with my new 17A.
Do a search above on hitch locks. Read the thread called chains and locks, it covers it all.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
I am also confused. I have spent a lot of time reading about all different types of locks from hitch locks to wheel locks. I am still confused. I always prefer to trust someone who is using a certain product as opposed to company info. So Escape owners, what locks do you love.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
https://www.zoro.com/reese-tow-and-s...CABEgKYHPD_BwE

I have similar components of this set but mine were purchased separately. It would be nice to have them all keyed alike. One holds the hitch bar to the hitch on the tow vehicle. One locks the hitch ball cover down for travel and security. The big piece fits inside the ball cover when you are parked and unhitched. All can be compromised; like most security measures, they deter visually and require time for thieves to dismantle.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
I have the Proven, and yes it is heavy, but i think it is very very strong and It would take a ton of work to break it off

in conjunction with a good wheel lock.... i think it would be very hard to to steal the trailer.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I really like the "Tow Ready 'Gorilla Guard' Coupler Lock".
It's well-made, secure, and discrete.
Of course thieves can still steal the trailer without using the coupler -- but it's only $20, and might dissuade an amateur.
Attached Thumbnails
61P6c22E-qL._SX522_.jpg  
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
As mentioned, this topic has been covered thoroughly in other threads on this forum and over on FiberglassRV forum. But to briefly address your question, in addition to the hitch locks (one in the socket, the other on the latch), we run a cable through the wheels from one side to the other and back, wrapping it around the axle on the way under the trailer. If leaving unattended at a distant location, I have a second cable and matching lock to secure all four wheels. We also have a matched set of four long shank padlocks to: 1) lock the hitch latch, 2) lock the towing security chains to the propane tanks (prevents loss of propane tanks and use of tow chains for stealing the trailer) and 3) lock the spare tire to the frame using a bike cable. Perhaps over-kill, but all are real and visual deterrents.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09790.jpg   DSC09791.jpg   DSC09792.jpg   DSC09793.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 17
proven here, Model 2178-A fits (2'' Atwood Yoke Latch)

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...pler-9290.html
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Amplock TLS2. When the trailer is parked I put a white bag over the hitch so I don't back into it and thieves don't know what to expect. Instead of a 5 second padlock, they're faced with 5 minutes of hardcore grinding and might just leave it be. If that doesn't do it, then I have insurance ...and an opportunity to upgrade to a 5.0
Attached Thumbnails
Amplock.jpg  
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I bought my hitch lock from Proven Industries for my 17B as well as a square link hardened motorcycle chain and hardened steel Stanley pick proof lock for the wheels and I'm very happy with both. They're hell for stout and even a well equipped thief will have to work hard to get the trailer. My main concern isn't someone stealing the trailer from my driveway or a campsite....it's leaving the trailer while camping in the outback and a thief has lots of time and no people around to worry about. Where ever my trailer is...it's locked up tight.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I think once the lock is off the next thing would be lights.
There not going very far with out proper working lights .
Do they make locks for 7 pin connectors ?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I bought my hitch lock from Proven Industries for my 17B as well as a square link hardened motorcycle chain and hardened steel Stanley pick proof lock for the wheels and I'm very happy with both. They're hell for stout and even a well equipped thief will have to work hard to get the trailer. My main concern isn't someone stealing the trailer from my driveway or a campsite....it's leaving the trailer while camping in the outback and a thief has lots of time and no people around to worry about. Where ever my trailer is...it's locked up tight.
I have a proven industries hitch lock as well. Don’t have a chain to go through wheels. I plan on removing the safety chains so they can’t be used to hook up without the hitch. I sew a u tube where a guy just used the chains to hook to his truck. My hooks don’t fit in the proven lock. Nothing is fool proof.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
I use a Proven lock, a little cheaper here:

https://besttrailerlocks.com/product...latch-couplers

My 2017 Escape 21 uses Model 2516-A. Very well made and designed.

My other security is good insurance.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I think once the lock is off the next thing would be lights.
There not going very far with out proper working lights .
Do they make locks for 7 pin connectors ?
I am not sure when they lift it up by the safety chains and drag it away they are worried about lights...maybe later down the road. A simple switch inside the trailer could kill the rear lights. However you would have to remember to switch them back on.
You could use the same type 7 pin jack further down the line and remove 4 feet of cable for safe keeping. This would keep it out of the ultraviolet and be more noticeable that something needs to be done before you tow.
Minimally if you want to make things difficult you should have an extra secret switch on your power jack. Not as easy to tow if you have a pogo stick sparking on every bump.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
You could use the same type 7 pin jack further down the line and remove 4 feet of cable for safe keeping.
One way to do this is to mount a female receptacle on the trailer, and use a removable ready-made coiled cord to plug in for towing. A thief is unlikely to have the right cord, and when not towing (with the cord stowed away) the installation would be weather-protected.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 17
I used Highway11 coupon code at the Proven Industries website gets you 5 bucks priority mail shipping, since it's such a heavy item. Don't know if its expired now or not.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 17B
I have a Proven Industries lock on my trailer hitch. There has been a lot of discussion on how to secure our trailers against theft and, for me, it helped with the decision to go with Proven.

However, I do wonder about the prevalence of theft. Has anyone here ever had their trailer stolen? Ever had anyone try to bust off your lock system and fail?
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We secured some relatively valuable items over the years with Pewag chain and the circular locks. Pretty good against the bolt cutter crowd. The battery powered grinders with cutting wheeels allow thieves who plan ahead and come equipped to defeat many efforts trailer and boat owners make. Insurance, and introducing yourself to your neighbors and the camp host are always good in my opinion. I always talk to the ranger or the summer help as they come by too. Locking lug nuts are valid too. At your own property with outside storage, the wildlife and license plate cameras are very good now. Especially Reconyx and the Browning Dark ops units with no glow night time picture taking ability. If they can track a dog with a grain of rice sized chip, why can’t they do it on a trailer?
Iowa Dave
Old 01-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If they can track a dog with a grain of rice sized chip, why can’t they do it on a trailer?
Because the RFID device which is the size of a grain of rice can only be read by a reader with the antenna loop placed in contact with the dog's skin, right over the implanted device. The bigger the antenna on the RFID device, the bigger the antenna trying to read it, and the more powerful the reading radio system, the longer the range can be. Longer-range systems can be built with powered RFID devices (instead of the usual passive devices), but they are still short-range as radio systems go.

One of the most impressive RFID implementations that I've seen was for the TReO system used for Port Mann Bridge tolls. The RFID tag was a small sticker (perhaps 30 by 15 mm and no more than one millimetre thick) on the vehicle's windshield, and the readers picked them up at highway speed from overhead (high enough to clear tall trucks). The same approach is used by many toll and traffic tracking systems. Even with that, no one could track a stolen trailer with it unless they were willing to install readers on structures over every road... which of course is not going to happen.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Also went with Amplock.
Seems pretty heavy duty and solid quality. Made minerals mined from other planets, maybe not. Hitch latch won't close when installed, guess not a big deal. Obviously if the pro wants your trailer, it's probably theirs, but would probably deter your average idiot thug.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote