Hitch Lock for 5.0TA With Andersen Hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is something I just can't be bothered to worry about. I can't imagine why someone would want to steal the coupler, let alone have the wrenches to do so. Is the worry that they remove it to use a regular 5th wheel hitch to steal?

My plan is to ensure my insurance is up to date, and just deal with it should it ever happen. A quick overnight delivery would get me new parts.

Seeing I towed my temp trailer home from where I bought it, before realizing I had not locked the ball to the coupler with nothing happening, I think just a quick check now and again (something I do more regular now ), is good enough, no locking needed. It would take a monstrous bump, one that would take your suspension out, to bounce all that weight off the ball. Not a good idea to test it out though, so I will be more diligent into the future.

My Anderson hitch does not lock being the gooseneck type too, but I do close the tonneau cover when not towing (though rarely lock it unless other stuff is in there).

You do have to realize that this is coming from a guy who never used a hitch lock in the last 25 years of using a bumper tow, and never had a trailer stolen.

Though, for my cargo trailer loaded with tools, I have a ballmount lock, hitch lock, tongue lock, wheel lock, key locks and puck locks for the doors, in order to make it a more difficult target for thieves.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Jim, not sure if you have noticed, but you can see the lock handle position from your rear view mirror when traveling. I put my coupler lock on the driver side and periodically check it when in motion. I think you could also see it, if mounted on the passenger side.

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Jim, not sure if you have noticed, but you can see the lock handle position from your rear view mirror when traveling. I put my coupler lock on the driver side and periodically check it when in motion. I think you could also see it, if mounted on the passenger side.
I have never actually checked while under way, but will look for it next weekend. It certainly would be a good, easy check.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Correct me if I'm wrong but did you not have a tool truck stolen a couple of years back, Jim B?
My point being, especially after Myron having his stinger stolen, is opportunity seems to knock everywhere for the devious while the honest ones are always the victims.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but did you not have a tool truck stolen a couple of years back, Jim B?
My point being, especially after Myron having his stinger stolen, is opportunity seems to knock everywhere for the devious while the honest ones are always the victims.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Locks are only there for honest people... and those who misplaced the keys!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanallen2 View Post
Lock for the Andersen Coupler Block (Escape 5.0TA). Go to www.ftknoxlocks.com and look for Andersen Ultimate Conv.lock.
Their lock for the Andersen Ultimate coupler is the tenth item listed - about half-way down - on the products page.

This looks similar to one of the locks for a conventional coupler which was discussed recently in EscapeForum, with the "puck" lock on the end.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is something I just can't be bothered to worry about. I can't imagine why someone would want to steal the coupler, let alone have the wrenches to do so. Is the worry that they remove it to use a regular 5th wheel hitch to steal?
I'm seeing both concerns expressed in this thread:
  • the entire Andersen hitch system could be stolen
    • several hundred dollars of value, and leaves you with no way to tow your trailer
    • the same problem as any fifth-wheel hitch - it could be stolen if not locked - but a more obscure hitch and so presumably less attractive to thieves
    • hitch hardware has been stolen, although I don't generally worry about this myself
  • once the Andersen coupler is removed then the trailer is easy to tow with a normal fifth-wheel

Quote:
My plan is to ensure my insurance is up to date, and just deal with it should it ever happen. A quick overnight delivery would get me new parts.
Realistically, this could easily be four days - theft on Saturday, talk to supplier on Monday, two-day shipping (to remote locations there is rarely an overnight service) arrives Wednesday. But hey, you're on vacation so just enjoy where you are.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yep it was, and insurance covered everything. Everything but the hassle of going out to replace the tools that is. Way more of a pain in the butt than losing a hitch, or even a travel trailer, would be.

This is kinda like comparing apples to oranges though, as construction vehicles and trailers are commonly targeted by thieves, as they contain tools which are a quick and easy sell for them. Something like a trailer hitch, not much of a quick sale market for them. Even stolen RV's are very rare compared to vehicles, especially those containing tools. Besides, I had it locked up tight, but they stole the whole truck, and then had to use a grinder to cut the door off the back, and there is little else I could have done. Sure GPS tracking, a nuisance alarm system, etc, but I just don't want that kinda hassle.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm seeing both concerns expressed in this thread:
  • the entire Andersen hitch system could be stolen
    • several hundred dollars of value, and leaves you with no way to tow your trailer
    • the same problem as any fifth-wheel hitch - it could be stolen if not locked - but a more obscure hitch and so presumably less attractive to thieves
    • hitch hardware has been stolen, although I don't generally worry about this myself
  • once the Andersen coupler is removed then the trailer is easy to tow with a normal fifth-wheel

Realistically, this could easily be four days - theft on Saturday, talk to supplier on Monday, two-day shipping (to remote locations there is rarely an overnight service) arrives Wednesday. But hey, you're on vacation so just enjoy where you are.
That just sounds like a whole lotta worry I would just rather not deal with. My doctor says I have great blood pressure, and I wish to keep it that way.

I know I sound like the ostrich with it's head in the sand, but I believe karma will deal with those who do my wrong, and reward me for things I do right.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
That just sounds like a whole lotta worry I would just rather not deal with. My doctor says I have great blood pressure, and I wish to keep it that way.
That makes sense to me. I don't worry much about trailer or towing equipment theft, but that was the question of the thread.