Holes in Cushions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Holes in Cushions

Looking for help…

After only two years our cushions have developed holes around the seam areas. Now it is important to point out that we must make up our bed every night we are on the road and the cushions have been tailored to an extremely tight fit. Also, it is not the fabric that has failed but the vinyl plate material that is used for the bottom. When sewing, needles normally push fabric aside but in vinyl, the needle actually pokes a hole in the material creating a weak spot.

I have included pictures. Two are of the holes in the vinyl material and one shows that the actual fabric has not failed. These holes are in very critical spots and will only grow over time. I have examined them closely, and these are NOT an easy fix. We are looking for ideas, short of having to have new covers made.

Many of you do not change your cushions to beds, and so may never see this problem, however, any NEW builds I think I would request FABRIC all the way around avoiding the vinyl plate material altogether.

Have contacted ETI, but no response as of yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4173.jpg   IMG_4174.jpg   IMG_4175.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
any NEW builds I think I would request FABRIC all the way around avoiding the vinyl plate material altogether.
Yep. Exactly the reason we did that. Makes the cushions reversible too.

Short of reupholstering the cushions, I can't think of an easy fix.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yep what? I doubt the reason for going 360 fabric was to avoid the above problem. ETI should step up to the plate; obviously their subcontractor made a mistake.

Edit: I like the vinyl backing; it helps with moisture control.

Another Edit: with the u-shape dinette we don't have to use any of the back cushions for a bed as we have two "filler boards". They are an option not listed that one can purchase for $100 each. Using them instead of the table for the bed platform is much easier and stowing the boards/cushions is very easy. Also, you get that much more insulation around the bed in that rear dinette by leaving the cushions against the wall.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yep what? I doubt the reason for going 360 fabric was to avoid the above problem
Well then you doubt wrong. I've done upholstery and even once worked in an upholstery shop. The vinyl to fabric seams can often be a problem. I chose to avoid it. Sometimes the vinyl is basted with a rip stop material but I didn't know how these were made not having seen them. An all fabric cushion was a safer bet.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Seam tape? I haven't done any sewing for years. But, remember using seam tape in areas where there was stress put on the fabric it would help prevent exactly what you're seeing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Seam tape? I haven't done any sewing for years. But, remember using seam tape in areas where there was stress put on the fabric it would help prevent exactly what you're seeing.
Tried seeing if seam tape would stay adhered to the vinyl, it doesn't. Unless you know of some high end stuff I couldn't find. I don't think it is designed to hold up to the stresses we are talking about, but appreciate the suggestion and that is what I am looking for. Thanks, Tim
Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Team

Okay, so maybe Seam Grip Repair Adhesive and Sealant ?
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
I might get some, but it is for synthetic fabrics, not vinyl, so I'm a little dubious but will try some. This appears to be a very thin liquid, like the seam sealer I use on our backpacking gear. The problem with vinyl is there is no porous structure for adhesive to get into. Whatever is placed on it must bond with the vinyl directly and be massive enough to replace the torn vinyl. But… all that being said, I have nothing to lose at this point… Thanks for the link. Added it to my wish list and will be doing an order soon. Tim
Old 05-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
Site Team

Tim, I'm thinking you'll need to pull the foam out and fix it from the backside. Upholstery vinyl typically has a mesh cloth as backing. Maybe it will stick and heal from the back? I haven't even unzipped the upholstery cushions in Ten Forward to look...
Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Tim, I'm thinking you'll need to pull the foam out and fix it from the backside. Upholstery vinyl typically has a mesh cloth as backing. Maybe it will stick and heal from the back? I haven't even unzipped the upholstery cushions in Ten Forward to look...
My pictures are from the inside. Very tough area to work on with only 1/4 seam allowance and on a corner and nope, no cloth backing as you can see in the pictures. If it had a cloth backing it probably would not have torn through. This is also how I know seam stick didn't work. But… you got me thinking and back to my old standby, Sailrite. I found a repair kit specifically for vinyl, not cloth.

Tear-Aid Repair Kit Type B for Vinyl Products - Clear Patch

Notice that they have a kit for cloth but the oils in vinyl prevent many things from adhering to it, hence the special "Type B" kit.

Still, if the upholsterer had built the back cushions like the seat cushion, where the zipper plaque was ALL fabric, this would not have happened. By having half of the zipper plaque vinyl and half fabric in a high stress area I think is what caused the problem and it is something we should not have to be dealing with after only two years. We had our Chalet with all fabric cushions for more than 3 years and never had a problem. Thanks again for continuing to offer ideas and suggestions which prompt me to look for creative solutions. Tim
Old 05-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I might get some, but it is for synthetic fabrics, not vinyl, so I'm a little dubious but will try some. This appears to be a very thin liquid, like the seam sealer I use on our backpacking gear. The problem with vinyl is there is no porous structure for adhesive to get into. Whatever is placed on it must bond with the vinyl directly and be massive enough to replace the torn vinyl. But… all that being said, I have nothing to lose at this point… Thanks for the link. Added it to my wish list and will be doing an order soon. Tim
This is the product I've used on tent seams, for sealing as opposed to repair. Texture is.like thin model glue.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Talking Might try ShoeGoo

I've found ShoeGoo (or similar sounding brands) can repair shoes, extending the life of favorite comfortable shoes:
1. I've reglued the uppers to the soles when they are separating.
2. Added thickness to the sole – over a hole, or confined the ShoeGoo with a 'dam' of heavy tape to square up a worn-down heel. Yeah, I can be a real cheap-skate!http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...ilies/grin.gif

The material sticks to most things, and remains slightly flexible when cured (24-72 hours). The repairs have lasted for months to years. It's an easy thing to try, it would probably stick to vinyl, and it might even work.http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im.../whistling.gif
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
I've found ShoeGoo (or similar sounding brands) can repair shoes, extending the life of favorite comfortable shoes:
1. I've reglued the uppers to the soles when they are separating.
2. Added thickness to the sole – over a hole, or confined the ShoeGoo with a 'dam' of heavy tape to square up a worn-down heel. Yeah, I can be a real cheap-skate!http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...ilies/grin.gif

The material sticks to most things, and remains slightly flexible when cured (24-72 hours). The repairs have lasted for months to years. It's an easy thing to try, it would probably stick to vinyl, and it might even work.http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im.../whistling.gif
Thank you. Another good suggestion. I even have ShoeGoo in the garage and didn't think of it. Tim
Old 05-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I'll second the shoe goo suggestion!
I've repaired my rubber hunting boots multiple times extending there life by two years, finally broke down and had to buy a new pair. But under the extreme conditions hunting boots see compared to a cushion, I'd bet it would work well!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, fabric, holes