Home installing roof A/C - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I didn't see a digital thermostat option on my build sheet and I selected the A/C option and wasn't until I was talking to Kim on the phone that a digital thermostat came up in the conversation. Sure. It's only $150.

Sometimes I don't listen to my own advice, but ask the right questions, get the right answers. Never hurts to ask.

From a customer's perspective, we know ETI is willing to customize just about anything on the trailers they build. The customer may not know what can be done for the in the build process and may not find out until after the fact.

Yes, adding to, updating the build sheet and making sure options don't slow the production schedule are a careful balancing act for ETI. If it can be done at any point, I'm sure ETI will do it for the customer. Communication is the key.

You can please some of the people some of the time....

Mark
Blizzy and Dakota (Da Boyz)
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
PLUS this forum is the best source of info on options, period. I found out here that the only way to have the A/C fan cycle off and on with the cooling function is by installing the digital thermostat. Otherwise the fan runs whenever cooling mode is enabled.

Also that installing the digital changes the interior panel of the A/C and eliminates the black knobs that hang down far enough to hit my head.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When it's cold out there, you need the furnace. When its hot out there, you need ac. Has anyone wondered what I am now wondering?

What climate outside, and where, in a continuous 24 hour period, could be so extreme you would actually need a thermostat governing both the furnace and the air conditioner? Who goes to bed on a hot night thankfully running the air conditioner expecting the temp inside to later so dramatically drop that the furnace is necessary?

I'm as lazy as the next guy and just as capable of burning a few bucks but-- really. Given the hefty price, is not such digital need on the silly side of macho-rediculoso?
I have not yet chosen air. When I do I expect the unit will have an on off fan switch as well as thermostat.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Hi Myron,
It controls either the heater or the furnace depending on the mode you select, not both with one setting.
It does a much better job than the mechanical one.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #45

Ah, temperature settings a la mode. Went to Camping World today hoping to see a Dometic Penguin II. They did not have one to show. Went then to Central Trailer Supply and they had only the 13,500 BTU model, $741.46 plus $109.44 for the inside controls bezel, plus tax. I was interested in the 11,000 BTU model - thinking it might be more quiet, plus it is 9 inches tall. Must be ordered. Add $67.

At Camping World they had on the shelves some nice tabletop fans. Saw 8-inch DC model, on sale, $54. Maybe that and a block of ice..... ?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron, there is always "cooler air" Amazon.com - 12 Volt Portable Air Conditioner - Boat Air Conditioner
But back to the digital thermostat. There is an item known in HVAC as temperature swing where once the set point is reached, the unit may exceed such point. Thus with heat it will cool down below the set point, you feel cold, the heat comes on and it may heat beyond the set point, you feel hot. Similar to the old time car heaters, you put the heat on and then controlled the comfort with your window. The digital thermostat eliminates those temperature swings, in both ac and heat modes. Good luck in your hunt….
Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 AM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksAlot View Post
I didn't see a digital thermostat option on my build sheet and I selected the A/C option and wasn't until I was talking to Kim on the phone that a digital thermostat came up in the conversation. Sure. It's only $150.

Sometimes I don't listen to my own advice, but ask the right questions, get the right answers. Never hurts to ask.

From a customer's perspective, we know ETI is willing to customize just about anything on the trailers they build. The customer may not know what can be done for the in the build process and may not find out until after the fact.

Yes, adding to, updating the build sheet and making sure options don't slow the production schedule are a careful balancing act for ETI. If it can be done at any point, I'm sure ETI will do it for the customer. Communication is the key.

You can please some of the people some of the time....
Just to set the record straight, I am still very pleased with my Escape.
I have had two couples look at my 19 the last couple months and I have strongly recommended the Escape to them. My comments were mostly stressing my disappointment that a key option that they were starting to install by request was not talked about when I was discussing AC options. My discussions were mainly about the Coleman vs the Dometic. At the time that the Dometic digital thermostat started showing up in posts as Jim mentioned, our 19 was in the final stages of the build but it was being installed in another one right along side it. Timing is everything I guess. In our case the AC probably isn't going to be used much anyway and Myron's idea of a block of ice and a fan might have sufficed. We bought it mainly for future resale and maybe an occasional need when traveling south.

So I am still a very happy member of the Escape family! (unless I have been kicked out)
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape
Myron. Here is a "Homeboy" AC mod for you.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #49

Very cool, Bob, Jim. Man, I love you guys. There's one other option: camp in the mountains.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
There's one other option: camp in the mountains.
Always my first choice. Better temps, and fantastic scenery.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote